Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake Pedal wiggles/rattles? Pretty noticeable if AP hits the brakes.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When AP is engaged, the Brake Pedal will make a loud noise if its giving a little more than average braking pressure when approaching a stop.

It doesn’t do it when the car is gradually slowing down, but if it all of the sudden notices it should’ve already been slowing down, it hits the brake in a panic style and makes the noise.
I could just be noticing something normal but just curious.
Here’s a video I took. Does everyone else’s pedal shake and jiggle like this? My accelerator pedal feels tight and well attached on the contrary.

• Informative
Reactions: f205v
Yes, many people has the same issue, me included.
At the beginning many where fooled by the noise apparently coming from the front left wheel and though it was a problem with the brakes, but it has been confirmed from many users that it comes from the pedal being very quickly depressed by AP when needing to come to a sudden full stop.
Thank you for the video, which makes things very clear.

• Informative
Reactions: selfbp
Totally normal for me also, it happens due to the brake actuator being rapidly pulsed on/off in heavy braking, like a kind of ABS, which produces a vibration in the pedal.

Fortunately it can be defeated by twisting stalks of celery into the ear canals.
I’ve got that exact same problem. Why doesn’t Tesla include celery stalks with a $100k+ car?

• Funny
Reactions: shthpnz
When AP is engaged, the Brake Pedal will make a loud noise if its giving a little more than average braking pressure when approaching a stop.

It doesn’t do it when the car is gradually slowing down, but if it all of the sudden notices it should’ve already been slowing down, it hits the brake in a panic style and makes the noise.
I could just be noticing something normal but just curious.
Here’s a video I took. Does everyone else’s pedal shake and jiggle like this? My accelerator pedal feels tight and well attached on the contrary.

I have this same problem. Its really annoying when on Autopilot to the point where I don't use it anymore as it feels the brake sticks then slams on. It is also just loose and loud when using it in normal driving conditions. I am asking them to fix it which I don't know if they can or will.

Reactions: selfbp
Alright guys. Thanks for the confirmation. I wonder if anyone with a 3D printer using ABS has considered making a brace or something to remedy it. Would have to be a clever design to keep from altering safety.

I’m not sure that putting a home made plastic item around the brake pedal mechanism is a good idea, if you don’t plan to die. A lot of bad things may happen, such as the piece breaking and getting in the way. And I’m not sure what your insurance would say in this case...

• Disagree
Reactions: Michael Sant
I’m not sure that putting a home made plastic item around the brake pedal mechanism is a good idea, if you don’t plan to die. A lot of bad things may happen, such as the piece breaking and getting in the way. And I’m not sure what your insurance would say in this case...
Half assed engineering wouldn’t exactly be the goal. Everything needs to be engineered at some point...