Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brake service by Tesla certified mechanic only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Fellow Tesla owners,

I have an 2016 MX 90D.

My local tire shop told me that the rear brake pads need replacement (about 125k miles) and quoted me $415 for parts and labors. But due to their recent service quality, I'm looking for a second opinion. Then I was told by another shop that only Certified Mechanics could work on Tesla brakes since they need authorization to get into the system. I found it hard to believe since I always thought there's not much difference than an ICE car when changing brake pads.

Could you share your opinion on this matter?

Never take your car to a Tesla SC unless you have no other choice. IMHO any competent shop can do brake work.

I live in Georgia and just for fun I looked up a brake service on the Pep Boys website for a 2016 Model X, the “Premium” service is about $230.

I suggest you shop around. Good luck!

Reactions: zoomer0056
Any shop can replace the brake pads, the calipers are from Brembo.

They might be referring to bleeding the brake fluid. Typically you need software to activate the ABS module to bleed it. It's the proper way to do it, but I've always just done the hold brake, open bleeder process. Never had any issues.

Not only can any competent auto shop service the brakes on your (or any) Tesla, there are several aftermarket companies offering upgraded brakes for you vehicle as well. There is nothing inherently special about Tesla brakes or brake components - in fact they are not made by Tesla anyway.

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I think it's just that shop has never worked on a Tesla before and they are not will to do it. I'll keep searching for one with a fair price.

Never take your car to a Tesla SC unless you have no other choice. IMHO any competent shop can do brake work.

I live in Georgia and just for fun I looked up a brake service on the Pep Boys website for a 2016 Model X, the “Premium” service is about $230.

I suggest you shop around. Good luck!
As for Pep Boys, I'm reading mix reviews of their service, so I'm debating if I should go to them. Have you use them before?

Thanks for all the feedbacks. I think it's just that shop has never worked on a Tesla before and they are not will to do it. I'll keep searching for one with a fair price.

As for Pep Boys, I'm reading mix reviews of their service, so I'm debating if I should go to them. Have you use them before?

That was not a recommendation just a quick example. I have used them for a wheel alignments with no issues. Certainly find a shop you are comfortable with.

Reactions: zoomer0056