Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes - Brembo, others

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay - Thanks, it's mainly a safety concern

Now i'm wondering if there is some way to disable ABS.

Now, that just do not make sense. Are you a professional race car driver? Do you really think you will be able to pump the brake better than the ABS in emergency situation? Or do you only have to stop the car in straight lines in emergencies?

Now, that just do not make sense. Are you a professional race car driver? Do you really think you will be able to pump the brake better than the ABS in emergency situation? Or do you only have to stop the car in straight lines in emergencies?

No, I'm no race car driver, and I haven't even tracked my car.. I feel that comment was a bit out of line.

All I'm saying, is that if one were to want it off, that should be an option, if you were doing a 100-0 test, you wouldn't have to pump the brake, because you'd be going in a straight line..

In most emergency stopping distance is the key.. If ABS were off when I had my fender bender in 2015, the crash wouldn't have happened, because my stopping distance would have been shorter.

Some Model S owners wouldn't need to use the toggle for ABS, but for those who could use it, it would be a great feature, in my opinion.

All I'm saying, is that if one were to want it off, that should be an option, if you were doing a 100-0 test, you wouldn't have to pump the brake, because you'd be going in a straight line..

In most emergency stopping distance is the key.. If ABS were off when I had my fender bender in 2015, the crash wouldn't have happened, because my stopping distance would have been shorter.

There may be some misconception here. One of the responses on this site sums it up

Without ABS, an experienced driver will go lighter on the brakes as soon as they feel it lock up. Some time later, he'd press the break again, perhaps not as hard this time. The computer, on the other hand, can apply a HUGE braking force, up to the point that the wheel's JUST BARELY lock for a fraction of a second, then let go and repeat. If you think in terms of impulse and momentum, the larger breaking force can make up for the shorter overall time it is applied. If the impulse of the breaking force of each pump of the ABS is larger than what a person would deliver, this means less time and distance is required to stop the car. It turns out that this is the observed behavior when real people drive cars in most conditions, although it's not always the case.

From Quora.

Here are the actual stats from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

The Long-Term Effect of ABS in Passenger Cars and LTVs

Median Percent Reduction of Stopping Distance
ABS Enabled Versus ABS Disabled
Road Surface
Dry concrete: 5% reduction
Wet asphalt/concrete: 14% reduction
Wet Jennite 43% reduction
Wet epoxy 10% reduction
Gravel: 28% increase*

If you want to upgrade go with racing brakes for the company. I use them on my supercharged G37. The reason I switched brakes is because when I autocross my G on the stock brembos I had brake fade. With the racing brakes I don't get that. I haven't had issues stopping the tesla other than the weight. As someone posted before tires are a big factor. Sure you will get some improvement but for me it's not enough to justify the cost as I don't race the tesla and don't get brake fade

I find that I need to clean the brakes in the winter a few times. I do about 10 big stops from around 90km/hr. Then do a few emergency brake applications to clean those pads. You will feel the breaks coming on as you do it. If it's wet and dirty out I try to give the breaks a good heating before I park for the night.

Heating and then immediately parking puts the parking brake pads clenched on a hot rear disc. Uneven cooling.

Heat a couple miles from home, then cruise the rest slowly to let cool down before parking, right?

Heating and then immediately parking puts the parking brake pads clenched on a hot rear disc. Uneven cooling.

Heat a couple miles from home, then cruise the rest slowly to let cool down before parking, right?
If the brakes are glowing red, it might take more than a couple of miles to cool them down :)
Of course, we all hope that no one is driving on the road hard enough to get glowing brakes.

OK, maybe someone can help me out here... I'm struggling to find brake pads online for the 2016 P90DL with the 22" wheels. I've chatted online with the tirerack guys, they said they only carry rear pads. eBay doesn't show anything, amazon either, none of them have anything. I got in touch with Tesla Parts and they gave me quote for all $1,646 and that includes the rotors. Looking at the parts they offered, I see 1068330-00-A - MX FRONT BRAKE PAD SERVICE KIT at a price of $285 so that's one possibility, I just can't imagine that I can't simply buy a set of pads for $25-$100 range as per any other vehicle. Anyone here knows a source to buy regular front pads from? Or model number of the part or what other vehicle that same part fits so I can search for them? If not I'll just get the overpriced pad service kit form Tesla :)

Just for reference I'll put the quote down here, maybe it will help someone else in the future:

Service/Labor

FRT Hours

FRT Price

Brake Pads & Rotors - Vehicle - Set

Subtotal Labor Price: (USD)

Parts:

Price

1025099-00-B - FRONT BRAKE ROTOR

1025099-00-B - FRONT BRAKE ROTOR

1027632-00-B - REAR BRAKE ROTOR - RASSINI

1027632-00-B - REAR BRAKE ROTOR - RASSINI

1068330-00-A - MX FRONT BRAKE PAD SERVICE KIT