Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes stick when switching to reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The past week I've twice got into my car in my garage in the morning (after it was sitting overnight), powered on the car and selected Reverse yet the car won't move when I apply the usual light pressure to the accelerator. The first time I thought I'd done something wrong and switched back to Park, then back to Reverse. Same result so I just pushed a little harder on the accelerator and it felt like the car strained against the brakes then they released with a "clunk" and abrupt movement. Same thing today. Anybody experienced this?

This has happened to me every time the car sits for hours after washing the car. The pads literally glue themselves to the rotors with rust. I've gotten into the habit of using summon to move the car a few feet a few hours after washing to prevent it. I think it's only the parking brake pads that do this so the rear wheels only.

Reactions: uspearls
This is not unique to Tesla. I've experienced with other vehicles that I own which can at times not get driven much and sit for a while after it rains or just washed without being driven. I realize it can catch you off-guard the first time. It is also maybe more likely for many people to experience this with an EV such as Tesla due to the one-pedal driving nature and not using the vehicle brakes such that the rotors get heated up to evaporate off all the water after rain or washing prior to parking the car.

It is unique to Tesla that the parking brake is always engage when in Park. In my garage, I normally would not use the parking brake after washing or after driving in rain, or really anytime when parked at home in the garage.
You've obviously never owned a car with a manual transmission and parked the car with the parking brake on. Had this for 15 years with my Honda S2000 before getting rid of it for my Model S.

I have owned many cars with a manual transmission. I have never had a car that always busts the brakes when starting out after rain or wash. This includes BMWs, Mercedes, Mazdas and Toyotas. All my other cars have had automatic gearboxes. It does not seem like a good thing to have happen all the time. Perhaps Tesla can engineer the brakes to not do this. I have also not had a car the specifies to lubricate the calipers yearly in cold climates. Must have a sticking issue there as well.

One time with my old Buick I parked it in the garage with the parking brake on in the winter when it had been raining a lot. Next time I drove the car it took really winding the engine up to break the wheels free.

It's happened every winter with my Model S. Whenever I'm out in a heavy rain, I know the brakes will stick the next time I drive it. The car has so much torque breaking it free is easier than it was with the old Buick.

My Miata with a manual does it too. I wonder if the Tesla is more prone to it as the parking brake would need to be stronger. The car is very heavy and there is no parking pawl or gear to stuff the transmission in to prevent the car from rolling. Induction motors will free wheel when not energized so you don't even have a permanent magnet to act as resistance.

I've never lubricated the brakes outside of pad/rotor changes on any other car, but I highly recommend it on the Tesla. I wonder if other EVs with regen strong enough to stop the car require this maintenance as well.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
The past week I've twice got into my car in my garage in the morning (after it was sitting overnight), powered on the car and selected Reverse yet the car won't move when I apply the usual light pressure to the accelerator. The first time I thought I'd done something wrong and switched back to Park, then back to Reverse. Same result so I just pushed a little harder on the accelerator and it felt like the car strained against the brakes then they released with a "clunk" and abrupt movement. Same thing today. Anybody experienced this?
Same as us and our S 75, Survice wont look at it! what did you do to get it fixed?