Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes stuck after sitting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not the e-Brake, it's the regular service brakes. Somewhere on TMC a user posted a video of his Model S actually dragging the front wheels through his garage as he backed up.

It doesn't make sense to me that it might be the regular brakes because they're clearly not dragging the rotors as I park the car, and I doubt that rust could grow enough to meet them overnight. I think it is much more likely that the cold parking brake might trap moisture between it and the rotor, resulting in corrosion that keeps it from releasing.

It doesn't make sense to me that it might be the regular brakes because they're clearly not dragging the rotors as I park the car, and I doubt that rust could grow enough to meet them overnight. I think it is much more likely that the cold parking brake might trap moisture between it and the rotor, resulting in corrosion that keeps it from releasing.

Could be either depending on circumstances. My front brake was stuck yesterday.

Happens for me too and is concerning. Im more worried about damage than anything else. If I just apply enough force to get them unstuck is there any risk of doing damage?

Not that I've ever heard (FWIW, no damage related to this has ever been reported in the Prius mailing list either, and there are a lot more Prius out there for a lot longer than there are Teslas).

Happens for me too and is concerning. Im more worried about damage than anything else. If I just apply enough force to get them unstuck is there any risk of doing damage?

It happens to me frequently enough that I can say I'm not worried about damage any more. The first few times I was worried I was going to crack or break the brake pads.

It's not the e-Brake, it's the regular service brakes. Somewhere on TMC a user posted a video of his Model S actually dragging the front wheels through his garage as he backed up.

Really!? Then the one-way valves that keep the pad clearance to a minimum are just a tad too tight. Especially when cold car comes into warmish garage and overnight the brake fluid swells a bit forcing contact. Less to worry about than if it was the eBrake. Another fun characteristic of the brand.
--