Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brakes? Tesla branded Brembo's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

03DSG

Apr 5, 2016
Ontario
I'm curious as the all the current Model 3 brakes appear to be Tesla branded Brembo's. Brembo's are used across the board with the Model S and X. It will be interesting to see what calipers, especially front, are used on a base Model 3. In the ICE world 4/6 piston Brembo's are usually reserved for a vehicle lines performance models. I'm a big Brembo fan having used them extensively on my open track car. Would really like to see them used across the Model 3 line but in the end they may be reserved for the 'P' version due to the cost. Just another unknown at this time. The wait is killing me......

Apparently it doesn't in your opinion. It does in mine. They are expensive and incredibly effective especially in a high speed emergency stops compared to most stock base model brakes. This falls under "and the price will be $35,000" and the cost streamlining required to achieve this. Like everyone else I can't wait to see the final result.

Apparently it doesn't in your opinion. It does in mine. They are expensive and incredibly effective especially in a high speed emergency stops compared to most stock base model brakes. This falls under "and the price will be $35,000" and the cost streamlining required to achieve this. Like everyone else I can't wait to see the final result.

for $35,000, don't expect Brembo's, overtly branded or not.

If you spring for the Performance model, you can get your hopes up.

Brembo was opened up a factory in Escobedo, Nuevo Leon Mexico and will be supplying parts to Tesla.

Brembo starts brakes supply for Tesla from Mexican plant

The plant will be able to produce 2 million calipers per year... enough for 500,000 cars if I did my math correctly.

from his article (emphasis mine):
"Production manager Mauricio Villa reported that the premium brand brakes are made of aluminum alloy, lighter than those made of iron and can be painted, which stands out through the wheel in the assembled car. For example, those that are manufacturing in the new Brembo plant for Tesla are red."

Tesla only puts red on the performance mdoels, so I stand by what I've said up-thread: Brembo is supplying brakes for performance trim Teslas.

The plant will be able to produce 2 million calipers per year... enough for 500,000 cars if I did my math correctly.
... not so sure about that. Is not the hand-/park-brake on a separate caliper on the Model S+X? If it is the same on TM3 it will be 6 calipers/cars, and then it will be for just 333K cars. About what I expect Tesla to produce of the Model 3 in 2018 (~300-350k cars). I assume that TMS+X will continue to get their calipers from wherever they get it from today? But from this news article it does not seems like they are planing more ramp-up on TM3 - and not planning for TMY.

... not so sure about that. Is not the hand-/park-brake on a separate caliper on the Model S+X? If it is the same on TM3 it will be 6 calipers/cars, and then it will be for just 333K cars. About what I expect Tesla to produce of the Model 3 in 2018 (~300-350k cars). I assume that TMS+X will continue to get their calipers from wherever they get it from today? But from this news article it does not seems like they are planing more ramp-up on TM3 - and not planning for TMY.
I still think Tesla Model Y is going to be two years out minimum.

Also:
The new Mexican plant not only manufactures calipers, but also produces electric parking brakes and handbrakes for Tesla. The latter are composed of 50 pieces and measure 25 centimeters long. The innovative Tesla designed handbrakes are not activated by means of lever, like those in traditional vehicles, but by means of a button.
these might be separate from the 2 million.

Last edited:
Sounds kinda crazy to me that any car that comes with Brembo brakes on the wheels would also use Brembo on the parking/emergency brake. Seems like a waste of money to me.

Reactions: sitter_k
these might be separate from the 2 million.
It might... We just don't know...

Sounds kinda crazy to me that any car that comes with Brembo brakes on the wheels would also use Brembo on the parking/emergency brake. Seems like a waste of money to me.
Maybe, but that is what the article is telling us.

I still think Tesla Model Y is going to be two years out minimum.
Yes, but if it is only two years out - or less - they should be planing for it on any new factories build today.

from his article (emphasis mine):
"Production manager Mauricio Villa reported that the premium brand brakes are made of aluminum alloy, lighter than those made of iron and can be painted, which stands out through the wheel in the assembled car. For example, those that are manufacturing in the new Brembo plant for Tesla are red."

Tesla only puts red on the performance models, so I stand by what I've said up-thread: Brembo is supplying brakes for performance trim Teslas.
They can certainly choose not to paint some... :)
I was under the impression that all current Teslas of all trims use Brembo brakes.

Model 3 from Motor Trend just for eye candy.
Tesla-Model-3-side-view.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ModelNforNerd

In the newer Model Ss they eliminated the separate parking caliper and use a combined caliper in the rear now. (Except on performance cars they still use the separate parking caliper, at least for now.) So I wouldn't expect the Model 3 to have 6 calipers/car.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
Interesting. Thanks for the info and the link. Most vehicles these days use 'combo' rear calipers. Usually sliding not fixed calipers with either a cable or hydraulic parking brake actuator.

As an aside the stock front PBR 2 piston calipers on my track car would burn the dust seals off in one 25 minute track session and give me a soft pedal at about the 15 minute mark with brake cooling ducts. This was on the old high speed GP track at Mosport. The 135 mph run up the back straight really helped with temps. They were no good on short tracks at all. After switching just the fronts to 4 piston Brembos the braking performance was night and day better. Could even get into the ABS on track tires. 70 track days on the front calipers, 10 sets of front pads and zero issues. Best brakes (with the correct pad. I used several different ones depending on the track) I have ever used.

Last edited:
Note the article says "manufactured in the new plant". The non-red ones could be manufactured in a different plant.
This was simply an example that the author came up with and it isn't even proper english. The author was simply illustrating that the brake calipers are paintable. There's zero indication that they do not make non-performance version brake calipers for Tesla at this new plant.

Common sense says that if you are going to have a large customer and you are creating a new plant to support them that you'd manufacture the majority of the order in the same local plant. Granted they are servicing other customers as well, it wouldn't be a cost benefit (for Model 3) if the bulk still comes from a plant further away increasing both cost and shipping time.

"Our goal is to localize as much production as possible"
-Daniel Sandberg, president and CEO