TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Brakes? Tesla branded Brembo's?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by 03DSG, Feb 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. 03DSG

03DSG Member

I'm curious as the all the current Model 3 brakes appear to be Tesla branded Brembo's. Brembo's are used across the board with the Model S and X. It will be interesting to see what calipers, especially front, are used on a base Model 3. In the ICE world 4/6 piston Brembo's are usually reserved for a vehicle lines performance models. I'm a big Brembo fan having used them extensively on my open track car. Would really like to see them used across the Model 3 line but in the end they may be reserved for the 'P' version due to the cost. Just another unknown at this time. The wait is killing me......

2. timk225

timk225 Member

Pads are clamped to a disc for braking effect. Brembo or not makes NO difference at all.

• Disagree x 4
  3. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Apparently it doesn't in your opinion. It does in mine. They are expensive and incredibly effective especially in a high speed emergency stops compared to most stock base model brakes. This falls under "and the price will be $35,000" and the cost streamlining required to achieve this. Like everyone else I can't wait to see the final result.

4. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

for $35,000, don't expect Brembo's, overtly branded or not.

If you spring for the Performance model, you can get your hopes up.

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  6. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

from his article (emphasis mine):
    "Production manager Mauricio Villa reported that the premium brand brakes are made of aluminum alloy, lighter than those made of iron and can be painted, which stands out through the wheel in the assembled car. For example, those that are manufacturing in the new Brembo plant for Tesla are red."

Tesla only puts red on the performance mdoels, so I stand by what I've said up-thread: Brembo is supplying brakes for performance trim Teslas.

7. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

... not so sure about that. Is not the hand-/park-brake on a separate caliper on the Model S+X? If it is the same on TM3 it will be 6 calipers/cars, and then it will be for just 333K cars. About what I expect Tesla to produce of the Model 3 in 2018 (~300-350k cars). I assume that TMS+X will continue to get their calipers from wherever they get it from today? But from this news article it does not seems like they are planing more ramp-up on TM3 - and not planning for TMY.

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

#8 JeffK, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    I still think Tesla Model Y is going to be two years out minimum.

Also:
    these might be separate from the 2 million.

9. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

Sounds kinda crazy to me that any car that comes with Brembo brakes on the wheels would also use Brembo on the parking/emergency brake. Seems like a waste of money to me.

• Like x 1
  10. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

It might... We just don't know...

Maybe, but that is what the article is telling us.

Yes, but if it is only two years out - or less - they should be planing for it on any new factories build today.

11. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

They can certainly choose not to paint some... :)
    I was under the impression that all current Teslas of all trims use Brembo brakes.

Model 3 from Motor Trend just for eye candy.
    [​IMG]

• Love x 1
  12. Jason Bourne

Jason Bourne Member

The article also says Tesla's CEO is named Daniel Sandberg ...... so not the most carefully fact-checked article I've seen.:D

Attached Files:

13. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Ha, yeah President and CEO of Brembo North America

14. Ccarmac1

Ccarmac1 Member

Will the model S brembo calipers work on the model 3??

15. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Active Member

In the newer Model Ss they eliminated the separate parking caliper and use a combined caliper in the rear now. (Except on performance cars they still use the separate parking caliper, at least for now.) So I wouldn't expect the Model 3 to have 6 calipers/car.

• Informative x 1
  16. Model 3

Model 3 Active Member

Thanks for the update, this was new information to me. :)

17. 03DSG

03DSG Member

#17 03DSG, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    Interesting. Thanks for the info and the link. Most vehicles these days use 'combo' rear calipers. Usually sliding not fixed calipers with either a cable or hydraulic parking brake actuator.

As an aside the stock front PBR 2 piston calipers on my track car would burn the dust seals off in one 25 minute track session and give me a soft pedal at about the 15 minute mark with brake cooling ducts. This was on the old high speed GP track at Mosport. The 135 mph run up the back straight really helped with temps. They were no good on short tracks at all. After switching just the fronts to 4 piston Brembos the braking performance was night and day better. Could even get into the ABS on track tires. 70 track days on the front calipers, 10 sets of front pads and zero issues. Best brakes (with the correct pad. I used several different ones depending on the track) I have ever used.

18. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Note the article says "manufactured in the new plant". The non-red ones could be manufactured in a different plant.

19. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

Why not? A 27k WRX comes with brembo brakes.

20. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

This was simply an example that the author came up with and it isn't even proper english. The author was simply illustrating that the brake calipers are paintable. There's zero indication that they do not make non-performance version brake calipers for Tesla at this new plant.

Common sense says that if you are going to have a large customer and you are creating a new plant to support them that you'd manufacture the majority of the order in the same local plant. Granted they are servicing other customers as well, it wouldn't be a cost benefit (for Model 3) if the bulk still comes from a plant further away increasing both cost and shipping time.