Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been the lone owner of a 2018 Model S. I've never, ever seen the battery tick up -even one mile- in braking. You'd think maybe just after you slip from 50 to 49 miles then brake a while down a long exit ramp, for example, I'd see something occur at some point. Nope. Never ever.

This is true regardless of how full the battery is or the outside temp, meaning it doesn't occur in any conditions.

Is that pretty much what everyone sees?

Please tell me yes.

I have Model 3 Performance and I have seen it tick it up once or twice before when on Regen. Once was surprisingly in the winter in England. Yes, I believe it was just as it ticked down a percentage and then ticked back up... It would be nice to see several percent increase when exiting off a main road haha

Upvote 0
I've also seen it go up, but this was on a relatively steep descent of a few miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had a pucker moment at the top of the mountain as I had fewer miles remaining than I had to go to get to the next supercharger, and cell signal is spotty at best on the BRP. But I ended up with 18 miles of range or so when I plugged in.

Upvote 0
I use %SOC display and have seen an increase of ~5% descending approximately 2,000ft near the Boone, NC supercharger. I had it on cruise control going downhill at around 60mph and the regen was not sufficient to control the speed as I was at one point close to 98% state of charge (with essentially no regen permissible), it then started blending the friction brakes with a minuscule amount of regen. The way it blended it was rather odd with a very high frequency pulsing of the brakes...

I have regularly seen 2% increases coming out of state parks or mountains going downhill for extended distances.

Upvote 0
I've been the lone owner of a 2018 Model S. I've never, ever seen the battery tick up -even one mile- in braking. You'd think maybe just after you slip from 50 to 49 miles then brake a while down a long exit ramp, for example, I'd see something occur at some point. Nope. Never ever.
It won't do it from just one rated mile. They do seem to have it programmed to "hide" a little bit of the accumulated energy until it's significant enough to show on the screen. I don't know why they do that, but it's what I have observed. Maybe they don't want the display twitching up and down and up and down from some little uphill and downhill if it's right on the edge between two numbers. I've been going down a long downhill, and the display just sat there on the same number of rated miles for quite a long time when I wondered by it wasn't going up, and then all of a sudden it added 3 rated miles at once. So it tracks it and then eventually adds it to the display when it's big enough.

Reactions: GHammer
Upvote 0
It won't do it from just one rated mile. They do seem to have it programmed to "hide" a little bit of the accumulated energy until it's significant enough to show on the screen. I don't know why they do that, but it's what I have observed. Maybe they don't want the display twitching up and down and up and down from some little uphill and downhill if it's right on the edge between two numbers. I've been going down a long downhill, and the display just sat there on the same number of rated miles for quite a long time when I wondered by it wasn't going up, and then all of a sudden it added 3 rated miles at once. So it tracks it and then eventually adds it to the display when it's big enough.
I suspect that is because Tesla tends to equate 1% charge with 3 miles.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0