Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new car exterior prep work - what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While my car is still new and dust free, was wondering what I should do to protect the paint from UV and rock chips and environmental contaminants.

1) Film wrap? Heard these were really expensive running into the thousands.

2) ceramic coating? Not as good as the film wrap but superior to wax.

3) simple wax?

I keep my cars forever and want to maintain that new car look for at least 15 years. Living in SoCal, we don’t get much rain but UV can easily fade a finish.

Any suggestions?

No serious suggestions? Was hoping that someone would have either wrapped or ceramic coated their Tesla and offer advice on whether they think it is worth it or not. Ceramic is roughly $900 for a single layer, $1200 for two layers, and $1500 for three layers.

Wrap costs even more.

Ceramic coating is superior to wax in that it repels water and dirt better than wax. Dust and dirt can be rinsed away using just water. Road grime that includes all of the petroleum products and byproducts including asphalt, brake fluid, diesel fuel will require a more thorough washing to remove from the vehicle exterior. Ceramic coating cannot protect the finish against chips and scratches.

Paint protection film (PPF) will protect against rock chips, scratches. You can search TMC forums for advice on where to have PPF added (front bumper, hood, door panels etc.)

If you want to have a ceramic coating applied wait until after you add PPF to the vehicle. Ceramic coating may have to be reapplied at least once a year.

Wrap can change the color and texture of the vehicle but wraps does not offer the protection of PPF.

Set a budget, decide what is most important to you as far as protection the finish on the vehicle.

Any good detailer will tell you that the vehicle requires paint correction, expecially when new. Paint correction involves detailed cleaning and polishing, correcting flaws in the paint finish before adding PPF or a ceramic coating.

It may be unrealistic to expect the Tesla Model Y (or any new vehicle) to last 15 years or even be a desirable ride outside of 10 years. The pace of change is just too fast. Anyone want an iPhone 4?

Last edited:
2 Stage paint correction = using DA (Dual Action) Orbital polisher, you basically cut very very thin contaminated top layers off of the car surface.
After this you have two options:
1. PPF the arear that you wish to protect, and then ceramic coat the entire car including over the PPF.
2. Ceramic coat the entire car.

If you are the type who don't care about the OCD level of cleanliness, you can simply give it a good wash and do nothing.

2 Stage paint correction = using DA (Dual Action) Orbital polisher, you basically cut very very thin contaminated top layers off of the car surface.
After this you have two options:
1. PPF the arear that you wish to protect, and then ceramic coat the entire car including over the PPF.
2. Ceramic coat the entire car.

If you are the type who don't care about the OCD level of cleanliness, you can simply give it a good wash and do nothing.
...or...do an advanced search and read the dozens of threads on this topic...;)

First you need to wash and decontaminate the paint chemically and possibly physically.

If you do physical decon then you’ll need to paint correct. You’ll also need to paint correct depending on your tolerance of defects which there invariably will be from factory.

Only way to prevent rock chip is ppf.

Reactions: Manbutter
Appreciate all the responses. It's really tough to spend $2k on top of the cost of the car for PFF. That was the quote that I got and it ONLY covered the main panels most subject to damage (front bumper, lower sills, mirrors). Entire car would cost $6k. I wish it was easy to install yourself. I see that Amazon sells the 3M PFF but from the reviews, it is worse than wallpaper to install especially since there is a ton of prep work on the surface (which wallpapering doesn't have).

In the end, I think I decided to do two layers of ceramic coating myself. Bought the AvalonKing $60 DIY kit. I'm not going to go crazy on paint correction, especially since I personally cannot see any defects in a new car's paint (has not been driven much yet: 41 miles total). I'll just wash it thoroughly, Spray and wipe down with alcohol right before the application. Maybe do a touch up ceramic coating once a year. Should save me the crazy $1200 that they want for a single coat.

Another option I see is that some folks ordered pre-cut PFF that matches the panels on the Tesla Y. It's definitely a lot easier than cutting your own sheets. However, seems like it is still a big learning curve. And I'm the type of guy who cannot even put on a screen protector on my phone without air bubbles everywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I don't PPF my vehicles as I usually trade them in every 1-3 years. I do however ceramic coat the front as it makes cleaning bugs much easier
Lucky. I don’t drive a lot so it would not make much sense for me to lease or trade in frequently. To be honest, I wouldn’t care about PPF or ceramic if I wasn’t going to keep it. I generally tend to keep my cars until they’re classics!!!

Lucky. I don’t drive a lot so it would not make much sense for me to lease or trade in frequently. To be honest, I wouldn’t care about PPF or ceramic if I wasn’t going to keep it. I generally tend to keep my cars until they’re classics!!!
Just know that ceramic does little to nothing in regards to protecting paint. Yes you can wash bugs off easier in the first year but little more. Personally did the PPF diy kit (pre cut) and took my time. Rather simple honestly. And there is little to no prep other then washing. Ceramic on the other hand Does need extreme prep and clay bar or it’s a waste of time.

Just know that ceramic does little to nothing in regards to protecting paint. Yes you can wash bugs off easier in the first year but little more. Personally did the PPF diy kit (pre cut) and took my time. Rather simple honestly. And there is little to no prep other then washing. Ceramic on the other hand Does need extreme prep and clay bar or it’s a waste of time.
The more I read, the more I've been leaning towards the DIY PPF and then DIY ceramic on top. I got scared off a bit though from many of the first time DIYers who claimed it took a lot lot more time than they first thought.

I really have to make a decision. My car has been sitting in the garage for 2 weeks not being driven while I'm getting it prepped for the road.

Can you share where you ordered the pre-cut PPF from and did you do just the front or the entire car? I would love to be able to cover the front, mirrors, and rocker panels at least as they get the worst chips, scratches, and stuck on dirt.

You're in LA, that car is gonna get hammered and the front bumper will look like a warzone in a year.

The more I read, the more I've been leaning towards the DIY PPF and then DIY ceramic on top. I got scared off a bit though from many of the first time DIYers who claimed it took a lot lot more time than they first thought.

I really have to make a decision. My car has been sitting in the garage for 2 weeks not being driven while I'm getting it prepped for the road.

Can you share where you ordered the pre-cut PPF from and did you do just the front or the entire car? I would love to be able to cover the front, mirrors, and rocker panels at least as they get the worst chips, scratches, and stuck on dirt.
I did the full front kit from North Tints. Personally I see no need to do the entire car unless it’s for a museum. Honestly took me one Saturday with the install kit provided and some extra hands from my daughter when installing the bumper section. Hood and panels you can sincerely do blindfolded. Just watch a few videos and take your time. really not that complicated. As for ceramic over the PPF?? That would be a waste of time in my view.

Reactions: Manbutter