Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new Model Y won't accept Tesla Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received delivery today of a brand new Model Y (LR). I now find that I am unable to insert my Telsa Wall Connector into the car's charging port. When inserting the connector into the car's charging port, it gets most of the way in, I hear a click and see the port's indicator change color, but it will not let the connector insert all the way in. I immediately receive a notification from my phone's Tesla app, "402976 Charge cable not fully secured. Please adjust the connection to improve charging". If I hold the connector there it just keeps clicking every second or two but does not let the connector insert.

I use this Tesla Wall Connector every day on my MY99 Model 3, and I just checked again and it works fine. (I had the Tesla Wall Connector, black version, installed in late 2019, so I believe it is the Gen2 version...)

I also tested the Model Y with the 120V Mobile Connector NEMA 5-15 that comes in the car's trunk, and that inserts into the Model Y's charging port just fine and seems to actually charge.

But for some reason the MY22 Model Y will not let my Tesla Wall Connector insert, despite it working fine in my MY19 Model 3.

I immediately requested a service appointment, but the soonest appointment isn't for another 5 days. Ridiculous that I can't charge my brand new car.

I also let the car stew around on WiFi for a few hours and download a bunch of updates, and the car now claims that its firmware is up to date.

Any ideas, other than a defective charging port on the car?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Excellent photos !

FWIW, these plastic pieces (called deadfronts) are for insulation. They are not needed for operation, but are there to offer some protection against shock if inquisitive fingers are stuck inside.

You *should* have the deadfront added back to the Model 3 so that the next owner enjoys the safety Tesla engineered into the port.
Engineered safety is overly generous for a common and repeating defect. A defect which thwarts the intention of all that engineering!
Tesla can do better.

Upvote 0
OK, first: thanks everyone for your help!

As some had suggested, yes, my problem was due to a black plastic piece of the MY19 Model 3 charging port that had broken off and was stuck into my Tesla Wall Connector. This is what was preventing the Connector from inserting all the way into the charging port of the MY22 Model Y.

I disconnected power to the Tesla Wall connector, prodded the offending piece with a screwdriver enough times that it eventually dislodged and could fall out by gravity.

For the record, trying to jam the connector hard and fast into the Model Y charging port was NOT a good idea - all I was doing was jamming the piece of plastic even harder and further into the Wall Connector. Luckily it was not too hard to get out, as there is simply no way to get even needle-nose pliers into that connector...

Anyway, all is well that ends well. The Model Y is now charging just fine, and the Model 3 still accepts the Wall Connector despite the broken plastic piece. Doesn't bother me as the Model 3 is a lease about to be returned anyway.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help!

Key to attached photos:
Yellow shows the Wall Connector with the black plastic piece stuck inside
Green shows what the Charging Port is supposed to look like
Red shows the Charging Port with the black plastic missing and broken off
last photo shows the black plastic piece after I fished it out of my Wall Connector

May I ask how you fished them out? I am having the exact same issue and I can see them on the wand but just can’t seem to get plastic piece out.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
May I ask how you fished them out? I am having the exact same issue and I can see them on the wand but just can’t seem to get plastic piece out.

Thanks!
Just discovered this issue after dropping off my M3P for service including replacing the missing deadfront. They gave me a loaner and my charger would not latch. After looking closely, I noticed the deadfront in my charger. Took a 1/16 inch drill bit and drilled a very small hole about 1/8 inch deep into the back of the deadfront and it pulled out fine. If you try this, use light force and low speed. Keep the bit towards the inner sleeve of the plastic. Using too much pressure may cause the bit to want to wander to the outside and wedge itself between the deadfront and the terminal. Using low speed will help control it and being plastic, it doesn't take much effort anyways. One you drill the depth, just tilt the bit of axis a bit while pulling. Want hard to remove. I almost got it out just swinging the connector really fast but it just couldn't her pay the last 1/4 inch.

Attaching a photo of the hole for reference.
20221203_090222.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0