Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Brand new S90D (2/17). Experiencing very bumpy ride since yesterday. Regular suspension.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I picked up the S90D on 2/17. Love the car. Amazing ride quality and excellent handling until yesterday. I have regular suspension and didn't get the SAS. I have driven 700+miles so far and had no issues. My driving is on regular highway and well laid local roads that I have been driving on for years. Since yesterday I started feeling bumps while driving going on even minor depressions on the road. I had never felt them in my Model S before or even in my old Honda. Now I am feeling the bumps a LOT. Even a small depression or bump on the road that the car was handling like a champ is very rough when I go over it. The car almost shakes and the ride quality suddenly has become very rough. Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas or thoughts? Will take it to the SC asap to have it looked at.

I had something similar. Driving v. slowly across a bridge was like an oscillation as every small bump felt like a speed hump to the point of the car bouncing practically. It was a bit scary. Haven't had it since. I pumped up the tyres to 45psi also so maybe that fixed it. I get a bit of a vibration on the steering wheel at high speeds but that's probably just wheel balancing.

I too found my S 90D ride (coils, with standard 19" wheels and Goodyear M+S tires) to be quite rough. I had a loner S P90DL with Air suspension and 19" wheels/tires that was even ROUGHER than mine! I was surprised.... hoping that air would make the ride better.

However after 4000 miles my ride is getting a bit less harsh. Some replies to my previous post suggested it is the tires breaking in. In any event it does seem to be getting better.

OTH today I have a X P90D service loaner (with only 450 miles) with 20" tires and Air suspension. Wow, it is ROUGH as a corn cob! Seriously, the performance is awesome but it makes me glad to own my S.

I am also going to research the best riding/quietest ride 19" tires and see if switching brands will make me happier. Possibly Primacy MXM? Or ContiSilent?

Can you feel it
I too found my S 90D ride (coils, with standard 19" wheels and Goodyear M+S tires) to be quite rough. I had a loner S P90DL with Air suspension and 19" wheels/tires that was even ROUGHER than mine! I was surprised.... hoping that air would make the ride better.

However after 4000 miles my ride is getting a bit less harsh. Some replies to my previous post suggested it is the tires breaking in. In any event it does seem to be getting better.

OTH today I have a X P90D service loaner (with only 450 miles) with 20" tires and Air suspension. Wow, it is ROUGH as a corn cob! Seriously, the performance is awesome but it makes me glad to own my S.

I am also going to research the best riding/quietest ride 19" tires and see if switching brands will make me happier. Possibly Primacy MXM? Or ContiSilent?
I have driven with the 19" Primacy tires and they did not seem to be much different than the Goodyears.

So I picked up the S90D on 2/17. Love the car. Amazing ride quality and excellent handling until yesterday. I have regular suspension and didn't get the SAS. I have driven 700+miles so far and had no issues. My driving is on regular highway and well laid local roads that I have been driving on for years. Since yesterday I started feeling bumps while driving going on even minor depressions on the road. I had never felt them in my Model S before or even in my old Honda. Now I am feeling the bumps a LOT. Even a small depression or bump on the road that the car was handling like a champ is very rough when I go over it. The car almost shakes and the ride quality suddenly has become very rough. Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas or thoughts? Will take it to the SC asap to have it looked at.

I just purchased MS 75D about 2 weeks ago and am experiencing the same rough ride. Some of the comments indicate it might be a break in period for the tires. Have you noticed any change since your first post?

I just purchased MS 75D about 2 weeks ago and am experiencing the same rough ride. Some of the comments indicate it might be a break in period for the tires. Have you noticed any change since your first post?

I think two things had to break in on my S90D. One was the suspension and the other was the seats. The ride on my car started out rather "harsh" but things have quieted down quite a bit over the past several months. Michigan roads are still horrible (compared to every other state I've driven in) so there's that, but the car does drive much better now for me. Tire pressure can make things worse though for sure. So be sure you're not over-inflated.

the tires were set at 45 psi. the ride is a pulsating experience. the service dept. replaced all 4 struts and the issue is still there. It is so bad that i get get nausea driving it. Is it possible that the shocks are the issue? any suggestions?

t It is so bad that i get get nausea driving it. Is it possible that the shocks are the issue? any suggestions?
I have a 2015 85D and have brought it to the service center maybe five times for the suspension and they never fix anything and say it's normal. I had a loaner (coil suspension) and switching between the two cars is such a dramatic difference. The loaner glides over bumps, my car is harsh and rough and bounces us around like bobbleheads, and our stomachs feel like crap after a ten minute drive.

I hope there is a solution. I literally picked my car up AGAIN this morning from the shop and they said no problem found. It's so bad we kind of hate driving the damned car sometimes.

Reactions: dragoljub
I have a 2015 85D and have brought it to the service center maybe five times for the suspension and they never fix anything and say it's normal. I had a loaner (coil suspension) and switching between the two cars is such a dramatic difference. The loaner glides over bumps, my car is harsh and rough and bounces us around like bobbleheads, and our stomachs feel like crap after a ten minute drive.

I hope there is a solution. I literally picked my car up AGAIN this morning from the shop and they said no problem found. It's so bad we kind of hate driving the damned car sometimes.

We have similar experience in our S90D 2017. Some days it seems to glide but some days and surfaces and it feels like you are being punched in the back of the head by the headrest.

A sudden change in ride quality, especially oscillation, may be due to one or more of the balancing weights falling off.
I think that for most of us with this issue, it's due to a combination of factors including the road, tire pressure, suspension, etc. My car can ride totally smooth on asphalt roads but on some concrete roads, it feels like I'm on a washboard dirt road. As soon as I transition to a different road, everything is fine again and it feels like the car is just gliding along. I don't think the balancing weights are a problem since most with this issue have reported it comes and goes, depending on the road.

I think that for most of us with this issue, it's due to a combination of factors including the road, tire pressure, suspension, etc. My car can ride totally smooth on asphalt roads but on some concrete roads, it feels like I'm on a washboard dirt road. As soon as I transition to a different road, everything is fine again and it feels like the car is just gliding along. I don't think the balancing weights are a problem since most with this issue have reported it comes and goes, depending on the road.

Oh sure, it's a limited case, but something to watch out for.

To be clear - my car is never smooth, a LOANER was smooth. I've even gotten all new tires to try and resolve this to no avail.

I don't know what to do. We want to love this car and do road trips, but we don't want to have to bring Rolaids and airsick bags with us. And we've had it with Tesla repeatedly and they do nothing to help us. I just don't know what else to try at this point. Surely something can be adjusted or replaced to create a more pleasant ride without the head-bouncing stomach-churning sensations?