TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Break in period?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jacobp, Sep 15, 2013.

1. jacobp

jacobp Member

Getting excited to get my P85. Is there a recommended break-in period for the car? For ICE cars, there is usually some break-in period of 500 miles or so to be gentle on the brakes, etc.

2. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I'm not 100% sure but I think that honor is reserved for ice cars, where you have to take it easy on the new motor
    that and I've never heard of breaking in an electric car

3. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

ICE or EV, whenever there are new tires, brake pads, or brake rotors, IMO it is a good idea to follow a break-in period of ~200 miles.

4. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

The traditional break in was to allow the pistons rings to settle into the cylinder wall. Since we don't have those there is no concern about damaging the car by driving it incorrectly the first thousand miles or so.

Spaghetti is correct in that new brakes and tires will behave a little diffently for the first few miles.

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

New tires will still have mold release on them and the tire lubricant may not be completely dry. Take it easy for 300 pavement miles (and yes, that's a bit of overkill).

6. Alfafoxtrot1

Alfafoxtrot1 Member

The driver break in period is probably more important to the health of your car than mechanical break in. Give yourself wide birth from curbs, parking columns, other cars, etc. its a wide car with protruding fenders, all unseen from the cockpit. Don't push the range. Develop an understanding of how much energy you typically use, how high speeds and weather impact energy use and range. You'll get smoother on the pedals over time, but no real hazards there. Congrats on the coming arrival.

7. texex91

texex91 Banned

Good points...

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Right, the driver needs the break-in period, not the car. As far as the car is concerned... just give 'er!