Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bridgestone Turanza EV Tires too narrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just replaced my Continental ProContacts with Bridgestone Turanza EV on MYLR. Although initial impression is the Turanzas are quieter and have a slightly more compliant ride I'm concerned that the width is too narrow leaving my rims exposed for curb rash and also I think they don't look good with the rims exposed.

The Continentals were very good, I replaced them at 52,000 miles and they probably had another 5000+ miles on them. Pics below of the Turanzas... wondering if I'm overthinking this....
turanza 2.jpg

turanza 1.jpg

Attachments

• turanza 2.jpg
    turanza 2.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 159
Are the new and old tire sizes identical?
Yes. 255/45R19. I checked on TireRack website, although the tire size is the same, the Section Width on the Turanza's are 9.6 inches vs 10 inches for the ProContact. Also, after more digging I found the Turanza's recommended rim width max is 9 inches and it appears the MYLR 19" rims are 9.5 inches wide so there is my problem. I've never had to go to this level of minutia when buying tires. I'm returning the Turanza's. Any recommendations on other tire options? I'm thinking either going back to the ProContacts or the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

Both of those are great choices - I have had better luck with Continentals than Michelins. I replaced the Goodyears that came on my Model S with Continentals and they look like they will last twice as long as the Goodyears. My Model Y still has the OEM Continental tires and it looks like the rims are designed to protect the tires - those Bridgestones are even worse.

Reactions: yhooo
....Any recommendations on other tire options? I'm thinking either going back to the ProContacts or the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4
You might want to add Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 Plus to the list. Keep in mind that the DWS06+ and PS4 are performance tires and lack the low rolling resistance of the OEM (Procontact RX) tire. As such, a range hit of approximately 10% can be expected. FWIW, the section width of the PS4 tire is 9.8", while both continental tires are 10".

Last edited:
Thanks all for the tire recommendations, very helpful. As Turnbowm noted the Michelin PS4s are 9.8" wide and saw reviews on Tire Rack with concerns about the width so looks like I'm going with the ProContacts. My OEM Procontacts were very good for the first 52,000 miles and they appear to be best all around for the MYLR. The ExtremeContacts would be my next choice if I didn't go with the ProContacts

Reactions: electricar
i had the continentals pro contact rx to begin with. after 10k miles with the car i got the bridgestone turanza ev because i wanted quieter tires and thought it would help increase range on my 2023 MYLR. boy was i wrong. i was getting about 2 miles per kilowatt (per 1%) cruising 50mph with the bridgestones when it was over 3 miles per kilowatt with the continentals. on the highway going 70mph, it was 1.5 miles per kilowatt. i also noticed i had to use the brake more because the stopping power of the regenerative breaking was not as good with these tire. let me add that i had 15k miles on the car; i drove about 5k miles with the bridgestones hoping it would get better but never did. i ended up going back to the original continentals, which helped get it back to above 3 miles per kilowatt!! terrible tire, never again. i strongly encourage to not get the bridgestone turanza ev.

Yes, big time performance issues

I made a post about it

In short:

- severe understeer at speeds > 70 mph

- big loss in range
Yikes, sounds like a real flop.

It's really odd that Bridgestone made this EV tire in Model Y fitment, but didn't research what the actual wheel width was on this car. It's no coincidence it is available in 255/45-19... they just need to fine tune it for the actual vehicle 99% of these tires will be installed on.

Reactions: Tezla1
Does this undersize issue apply to the Model 3 or only the Model Y? It looks like the Y and the 3 use different sizes. My Model 3 has 30,000 miles on its original Michelin Primacy mxm4 235/45R18 tires and looks like they need replacing. I just put Turanza EV 245/45ZR19 tires on my Model S (third set -- first two were the original Michelins and got 43,000 miles on each set). They fit well and I don't notice any difference driving between the Turanza and Michelins so far.

So what is the recommendation regarding the Turanza EV tires for the Model 3? Does the undersize matter?