Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken back window

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there's more than a few posts on this but none of them fully addressed my issue. The back window on my 3, which has 826 miles on it cracked last weekend. It's the inner laminate layer is what cracked and the outside and inside of the window are perfectly smooth. It appears the defroster arced to the vertical line, which I can only guess is the FM antenna or something similar and caused the plastic inside to brown and melt. It is a manufacturing defect. People seem to think this is because of tint but how does that make any sense? I've had every car I've ever owned tinted and I've never had a window melt and break. Tint is a thin plastic and ceramic layer of film on one side of the glass. It does not change the thermal transfer properties of the actual window itself. I get a new window on Monday (under factory warranty as a manufacturing defect) but Tesla will not cover the $320 it will cost to get my tint reapplied. Anyone had any luck getting Tesla to cover the tint? If you want to get your back window tinted, I'd recommend running the defroster a lot beforehand to make sure your window doesn't break.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddykwRun
How broad is the warranty on the tint film? Years ago I had my tint totally replaced due to fading and loss of clarity from age, the tint was 20 years old, no lie. Boy was I surprised when the tech said is was covered and no charge. In case you were wondering it was on a Honda Accord with over 500,000 miles on it and ran great when I gave it away. I am a retired aircraft mechanic, I tend to "maintain" things, it's a habit I guess.

How broad is the warranty on the tint film? Years ago I had my tint totally replaced due to fading and loss of clarity from age, the tint was 20 years old, no lie. Boy was I surprised when the tech said is was covered and no charge. In case you were wondering it was on a Honda Accord with over 500,000 miles on it and ran great when I gave it away. I am a retired aircraft mechanic, I tend to "maintain" things, it's a habit I guess.

Now that is one he** of a tint shop! :) It's not a defect of the tint so it's not covered under that warranty. If I tinted a window and someone through a baseball through it, it's no fault of my job. My tint guy is really cool and he said he'd cut me a deal so that's kind of well and good. My primary issue is that a 3 month old ~$60K car with less than a thousand miles on it had a window break for no reason other than a manufacturer's defect and I'm having to eat a chunk of change to get it fixed. I love your pofile pic! My dad used to work for the local power company and I remember a shirt he used to wear of their sports team.... the Kill-A-Watts. :))