Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Broken top glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B9009006-11A2-49AC-8EC2-B5279137F21A.jpeg
So heard a rock hit the car while driving the other day, guess what the results were...how fragile is this car?

Looks to be more pushing a large boulder uphill, need to get a quote for the repair, then schedule via the app. Was on hold for 15 minutes then call was dropped. Thanks. Going to have drive down to the shop, as they can't put me in person on hold and forget...
Next step forward cost for the repair, to find out how much my insurance will reimburse me for the fix...Guess AAA no charge for glass repair no longer honored with Tesla's... More updates to come...

Filled out most of the info online via the car app. When I got to Tesla, they had thankfully done the estimate and I was back driving home within 10 minutes. Two transports were off-loading cars left and right so there's no shortage of new buyers, it would seem. $1,200 and change for the Middle glass portion of the roof. Now on to insurance and what AAA will/is going to cover...?

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Same thing happened to me a few months ago, in almost the exact same spot on the glass. Don't think it's a matter of fragility - it's glass, it'll crack/bullseye if a rock hits it flush-ish at a good speed. A "standard" roof car would probably end up with chipped paint there that would need to be refinished at a decent expense also.

State Farm replaced my roof glass under my comprehensive coverage, which I have set at a $0 deductible. Cost about $1,300. And I lost my orange UV tinting. :(

Reactions: Dmagyar
Looks to be more pushing a large boulder uphill, need to get a quote for the repair, then schedule via the app. Was on hold for 15 minutes then call was dropped. Thanks. Going to have drive down to the shop, as they can't put me in person on hold and forget...
Next step forward cost for the repair, to find out how much my insurance will reimburse me for the fix...Guess AAA no charge for glass repair no longer honored with Tesla's... More updates to come...

What is this "AAA no charge for glass repair"? Is that something they only offer in AAA northern california (because they absolutely do not offer any specific coverage for glass with AAA in southern californi, tesla or any other vehicle... I have had AAA insurance for around 10 years through multiple BMWs before my tesla, and asked specifically if they had any glass coverage I could add, and they said no. I also asked if there was something specific for glass, and they said "no".

I know other insurers offer this, and I am also aware that AAA is a conglomeration of companies, but I am doubting that the "no charge for glass repair" thing has anything to do with tesla.