Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bubble on the side of my tire

JerkSpeedy

Jun 9, 2019
Granada Hills
I just noticed a tangerine sized bubble on the side of my rear tire. My 2018 Model S has less than 20k of mileage but I have a Tesla service appointment for next Tuesday.

Will Tesla replace the tire free of charge? Is it dangerous to drive with this bubble until Tuesday? Should I just cancel the appointment and buy a replacement tire right away?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

NoirMS

Oct 21, 2018
Orlando
imo, bubble on sidewall becomes weakest point & highly likely to pop... I'd get a replacement... that's a blowout waiting to happen....I hit a pothole last month an blew both left sides on my S... doesn't take much, be safe.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
It's probably going to be two tyres to match back end traction but, yes, get it sorted asap. Consider buying a matched scrap wheel and putting your current healthy tyre on that as a future spare.

Kiwiadventure

Jan 9, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
I just noticed a tangerine sized bubble on the side of my rear tire. My 2018 Model S has less than 20k of mileage but I have a Tesla service appointment for next Tuesday.

Will Tesla replace the tire free of charge? Is it dangerous to drive with this bubble until Tuesday? Should I just cancel the appointment and buy a replacement tire right away?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Replace now and no the tyre will not be replaced free by Tesla. You may get a discount from a tyre shop.

lagomorph

Nov 25, 2015
Bay Area
Is it dangerous to drive with this bubble until Tuesday? Should I just cancel the appointment and buy a replacement tire right away?

You are definitely on borrowed time if you're still driving on a damaged sidewall. If the tire blows out before you replace it, you'll probably have a damaged rim as well.

I've had this happen twice, and both times it was from hitting a bad pothole.

seattlite2004

Apr 12, 2016
Puget Sound
Curious...does the tire look like this:
19164660-7525869-image-a-2_1569948143103.jpg

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC