Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Bucking" car while on uphill incline?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While driving less than 5mph in a parking garage up a fairly steep incline, my car started to well, buck is the only word that comes to mind. Jumping back and forth from drive to reverse or it felt like. I was too busy hanging on to the steering wheel to look. I was particularly terrified as I was approaching a 2 foot high concrete wall with a 4 story drop on the other side. I read a post here about weird stuff happening at low speeds on inclines. Anyone else?

While driving less than 5mph in a parking garage up a fairly steep incline, my car started to well, buck is the only word that comes to mind. Jumping back and forth from drive to reverse or it felt like. I was too busy hanging on to the steering wheel to look. I was particularly terrified as I was approaching a 2 foot high concrete wall with a 4 story drop on the other side. I read a post here about weird stuff happening at low speeds on inclines. Anyone else?
If you have hold mode set, and you were descending a steep hill, occasionally the brakes will release and grab again quickly. The solution is to just use the brake pedal.

What mode are you set to creep, hold or roll?

Assuming it isn't your foot on the accelerator being unsteady, and accidentally coming on and off the pedal quickly because you started the bucking in the first place... then no, what you described is absolutely not normal behaviour in a Tesla.

I drive up steep inclines in an underground parking garage all the time, the car's smooth as silk, absolutely zero bucking. I do use hold mode but I doubt that matters. You could try switching to hold just to see if it makes any difference if you like.

Reactions: anniebuttnanni
I would take it to service in that case, sounds like something might be wrong.

This OP is likely to need to pursue the issue legally, would be my guess, since they also stated that they have been victim to shifting into park while in motion, randomly accelerates, (in other threads they created here about their aunts model 3), as well as having issues with the incorrect information being displayed as is it relates to objects on screen like cars and motorcycles.

Their local SC appears to be unable, or unwilling to address any of this for them, so they likely should look into legal recourse.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
This OP is likely to need to pursue the issue legally, would be my guess, since they also stated that they have been victim to shifting into park while in motion, randomly accelerates, (in other threads they created here about their aunts model 3), as well as having issues with the incorrect information being displayed as is it relates to objects on screen like cars and motorcycles.

Their local SC appears to be unable, or unwilling to address any of this for them, so they likely should look into legal recourse.
Unfortunately the car is past warranty, past California lemon laws AND we did not sign to opt out of Tesla purchase contract, which requires arbitration anyway. We would like the SC in Sacramento to repair the car but they keep saying that it is performing as expected. We then asked SC to make buyback offer, but their offer was very low. Why? Because the car had been brought in for service so many times, even though they could find nothing wrong. Except that perhaps the driver didn't weigh enough.

Unfortunately the car is past warranty, past California lemon laws AND we did not sign to opt out of Tesla purchase contract, which requires arbitration anyway. We would like the SC in Sacramento to repair the car but they keep saying that it is performing as expected. We then asked SC to make buyback offer, but their offer was very low. Why? Because the car had been brought in for service so many times, even though they could find nothing wrong. Except that perhaps the driver didn't weigh enough.

"low buyback offer" would not matter if I felt as unsafe as you mention you are in the various posts you have made about the vehicle. I would sell it, take the loss, and move onto another brand. You repeatedly mention about feeling unsafe, your first post in this particular thread uses the word "Terrified".

Low buyback offer should not prevent someone who is terrified, and states they have a car that is randomly accelerating on its own, bucking around, etc, from selling it if legal options are not available.

"low buyback offer" would not matter if I felt as unsafe as you mention you are in the various posts you have made about the vehicle. I would sell it, take the loss, and move onto another brand. You repeatedly mention about feeling unsafe, your first post in this particular thread uses the word "Terrified".

Low buyback offer should not prevent someone who is terrified, and states they have a car that is randomly accelerating on its own, bucking around, etc, from selling it if legal options are not available.
Sounds like you have an extra 50 g to play with but we don't. Tesla SC has assured me repeatedly the car is safe to drive. Please stop trolling me I am looking for a solution to fix the car.

Sounds like you have an extra 50 g to play with but we don't. Tesla SC has assured me repeatedly the car is safe to drive. Please stop trolling me. I am looking for a solution to fix the car.
Maybe take a video to describe the issue? It sounds like the SC suspect the issue has to do with the weight of the driver or perhaps the driver lifting out of the seat for visibility.

It may be that you are somehow triggering the car to think that the driver isn't in the seat, if you are too light to trigger the occupancy sensor in the drivers seat. One possible solution would be a seefood diet lol.

If you were to load the seat with some kind of weight under the cushion or something, I worry that those features would be completely disabled, so not sure how to help you here. I recommend selling to a private party if you can't get a resolution. The SC stated the car is working as intended but it still may not work for you. Perhaps experiment with a seat cushion to elevate yourself or if you use a cushion currently, remove it.

Sounds like you have an extra 50 g to play with but we don't. Tesla SC has assured me repeatedly the car is safe to drive. Please stop trolling me. I am looking for a solution to fix the car.
There is no solution this or any other any forum can offer you for unintended acceleration, car bucking around etc that does not involve Tesla fixing the car, or you getting rid of it. You have said tesla says there is nothing wrong with the car, you make several different posts that you are terrified of the car, there is no other solution other than to keep driving your aunts car, or to get rid of it.

its not trolling to suggest to you that if You are not getting satisfaction from tesla, and are terrified of the vehicle (your own words) and it accelerates without user input (your words) and tesla will do nothing to help you (your words) that its time to get rid of the car.

Maybe take a video to describe the issue? It sounds like the SC suspect the issue has to do with the weight of the driver or perhaps the driver lifting out of the seat for visibility.

It may be that you are somehow triggering the car to think that the driver isn't in the seat, if you are too light to trigger the occupancy sensor in the drivers seat. One possible solution would be a seefood diet lol.

If you were to load the seat with some kind of weight under the cushion or something, I worry that those features would be completely disabled, so not sure how to help you here. I recommend selling to a private party if you can't get a resolution. The SC stated the car is working as intended but it still may not work for you. Perhaps experiment with a seat cushion to elevate yourself or if you use a cushion currently, remove it.
All great suggestions that OP should try and report back.

If I remember to do so, I'm gonna lift my butt off the seat while driving slowly in an empty parking lot and see if I could recreate these various "issues" that sound like they could all be seat sensor related.

Last edited:
Per the Tesla manual, as long as the seat belt is fastened, and the door is closed, the weight sensor doesn't matter.

1678233471703.png

There is no solution this or any other any forum can offer you for unintended acceleration, car bucking around etc that does not involve Tesla fixing the car, or you getting rid of it. You have said tesla says there is nothing wrong with the car, you make several different posts that you are terrified of the car, there is no other solution other than to keep driving your aunts car, or to get rid of it.

its not trolling to suggest to you that if You are not getting satisfaction from tesla, and are terrified of the vehicle (your own words) and it accelerates without user input (your words) and tesla will do nothing to help you (your words) that its time to get rid of the car.
You may be correct about getting rid of it but unless the dealer will take it back I would be passing along an unsafe car to someone else. But you are most definitely wrong about finding a solutionon this forum. Your members are far more knowledge about the quirks of the model 3 than the service reps at the SC. I take info from this forum to the SC and they consider it fully.