Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug? 40amp Circuit only charges at 16A while using scheduling method.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have found my Y on an 40amp Circuit only charges at 16A while using scheduling method. Even if I force to start charging from the app. In stead of starting charging , Turning off the scheduling charging, and it immediately went up to 40amp. To me this is a software bug.

Could you re write your post without the errors so we can understand it better? Also what EVSE are you using, Mobile Connector (with what adapter) or Wall Connector (set at what amps) or other? Did it use to work correctly, or is this a brand new problem with a new car?

Could you re write your post without the errors so we can understand it better? Also what EVSE are you using, Mobile Connector (with what adapter) or Wall Connector (set at what amps) or other? Did it use to work correctly, or is this a brand new problem with a new car?
I use ver 2 Tesla wall charger and the switch on the charger set to 40amp (with 50amp breaker on my panel).. I owned a Model 3 for 5 years and it charges at 32amp always. For my new model Y, It charges at 40 amps while connect and charge. But only charges at 16amp while set to scheduling change. Turning off scheduling charge, it will go right back to 40amps.

Hope I made clear this tome.

Try power cycling the Gen2 Wall Connector by flipping the 50A circuit breaker. You did not state which Model 3 you owned. Some versions of the Model 3 will only charge at a maximum of 32 amps when using Level 2 charging.

My Model 3 is fine with 32 amps. My question today is Model Y.
Ok, Model 3 not an issue. Have you tried cycling the Gen2 Wall Connector by flipping the circuit breaker? Is there a second phone with the Tesla app and access to the Model Y? If there is a second phone, Tesla app it could have been set to charge at 16A for the home location. Same question re any 3rd party energy monitoring apps. Do you have any 3rd party apps installed that have access to your Tesla account? If so, disable these apps and change your Tesla account login password. Many times these type of charging issues can be traced to 3rd party applications.

Last edited:
Ok, Model 3 not an issue. Have you tried cycling the Gen2 Wall Connector by flipping the circuit breaker? Is there a second phone with the Tesla app and access to the Model Y? If there is a second phone, Tesla app it could have been set to charge at 16A for the home location. Same question re any 3rd party energy monitoring apps. Do you have any 3rd party apps installed that have access to your Tesla account? If so, disable these apps and change your Tesla account login password. Many times these type of charging issues can be traced to 3rd party applications.
No, I never use 3rd party apps.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
I have found my Y on an 40amp Circuit only charges at 16A while using scheduling method. Even if I force to start charging from the app. In stead of starting charging , Turning off the scheduling charging, and it immediately went up to 40amp. To me this is a software bug.
screen shoot here where you are seeing 16 amps

When charging, you will see on the screen two amperage numbers separated by a slash. In this case I'd expect either "16a/16a" or "16a/40a". The first would indicate that the Wall Connector lowered the amps, the second would indicate the car lowered the amps. We can troubleshoot further from that point.
can you show us that with a photo?

When charging, you will see on the screen two amperage numbers separated by a slash. In this case I'd expect either "16a/16a" or "16a/40a". The first would indicate that the Wall Connector lowered the amps, the second would indicate the car lowered the amps. We can troubleshoot further from that point.
It is car lowered amps for sure in my case. I said turning off scheduling charging bring back to 40amps. But it seems no one here believed that.

It is car lowered amps for sure in my case. I said turning off scheduling charging bring back to 40amps. But it seems no one here believed that.
The car will remember charging settings for a given location. You have not provided a picture of what you are seeing, nor have you said whether you can turn the amps back up to 40 in the car once scheduled charging starts to get it to stick at 40.

Scheduled charging can be turned off in the car or on the phone. People asked a bunch of questions to try to help you, but you are just accusing people of not believing you while still not providing more information to try to help you.

Reactions: Rocky_H
When it comes to troubleshooting, I don't trust anybody's conclusions. A single photo of the screen would allow everyone to use their own troubleshooting skills. Who knows? Someone might see something you missed. At least they would stop asking for that info.

Teach me how can you set charging AMP to different setting on each phone. I just can't seem able to do it.
You can set the default charging amperage via the phone for a given location. Then after you drive to a different (assumed) Level 2 charging location you can set a different default charging amperage. The Tesla Model Y will remember the default charging amperage you set for multiple charging locations. This only applies to L1/L2 charging, not Supercharging. Sometimes the Tesla Model Y will lose the default charging amperage setting and revert to 48A. The specific Level 1/ Level2 charging station (could be the Tesla Mobile Connector or the Tesla Wall Connector) will automatically override this setting if it exceeds the maximum charging amperage allowed for the circuit rating. Even if the Tesla Model Y defaults back to 48A charging will not exceed 40A (in the case of your Gen2 Wall Connector.)

When two of more phones have the Tesla app installed, access to the same vehicle things can get sideways sometimes. Climate Control settings such as Scheduled Departure Preconditioning can be turned off from inside the Tesla vehicle, sometimes remain active because Scheduled Departure Preconditioning was once set on the phone. This may also be the case for the default charging amperage for a location. The Tesla Model Y enables you to set the Home, Work location in the Navigation System. If the Tesla Model Y is parked close to the Home location but not precisely where the GPS coordinates are set for the Home location then a different default charging amperage might have been saved for the second location.

You could try deleting the Home location from the Navigation system and see if the default charging amperage changes from 40A to some other value when using Scheduled Charging. If you still can't get this to work then Tesla may have to sync or delete the saved charging settings from their servers for your specific vehicle.

You can set the default charging amperage via the phone for a given location. Then after you drive to a different (assumed) Level 2 charging location you can set a different default charging amperage. The Tesla Model Y will remember the default charging amperage you set for multiple charging locations. This only applies to L1/L2 charging, not Supercharging. Sometimes the Tesla Model Y will lose the default charging amperage setting and revert to 48A. The specific Level 1/ Level2 charging station (could be the Tesla Mobile Connector or the Tesla Wall Connector) will automatically override this setting if it exceeds the maximum charging amperage allowed for the circuit rating. Even if the Tesla Model Y defaults back to 48A charging will not exceed 40A (in the case of your Gen2 Wall Connector.)

When two of more phones have the Tesla app installed, access to the same vehicle things can get sideways sometimes. Climate Control settings such as Scheduled Departure Preconditioning can be turned off from inside the Tesla vehicle, sometimes remain active because Scheduled Departure Preconditioning was once set on the phone. This may also be the case for the default charging amperage for a location. The Tesla Model Y enables you to set the Home, Work location in the Navigation System. If the Tesla Model Y is parked close to the Home location but not precisely where the GPS coordinates are set for the Home location then a different default charging amperage might have been saved for the second location.

You could try deleting the Home location from the Navigation system and see if the default charging amperage changes from 40A to some other value when using Scheduled Charging. If you still can't get this to work then Tesla may have to sync or delete the saved charging settings from their servers for your specific vehicle.
Thanks. But I check everyone's phone, nothing found suspicious.