Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bug? 40amp Circuit only charges at 16A while using scheduling method.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have started having this issue in the last few weeks. I have the Tesla Model Y set to 32A but the max it charges is 16A at home.
I use a Zappi 2 and have spoken to Zappi and we have factory reset the charger. I also went to a third party charger at my local supermarket, a Pod Point, which also maxs out at 16A. I have deleted the home location to test but this also does not fix the issue.
I have raised this with Tesla but responses are a little slow.

Attachments

• processed-C81BE18E-DB53-4822-9060-77BEC4C5655B-3EA766E4-CE95-46CE-9821-8724A920DEAD.jpeg
    processed-C81BE18E-DB53-4822-9060-77BEC4C5655B-3EA766E4-CE95-46CE-9821-8724A920DEAD.jpeg
    523.3 KB · Views: 29
Hi,

I have started having this issue in the last few weeks. I have the Tesla Model Y set to 32A but the max it charges is 16A at home.
I use a Zappi 2 and have spoken to Zappi and we have factory reset the charger. I also went to a third party charger at my local supermarket, a Pod Point, which also maxs out at 16A. I have deleted the home location to test but this also does not fix the issue.
The on-board charger has 3 separate Level 1/2 charging modules. When charging at up to 16A, one module is used. When charging between 16A and 32A then two charging modules are active. When charging at 40A or 48A then all three modules are used. If your Tesla Model Y will not charge above 16A when using Level 2 charging (i.e., the Tesla Mobile Connector w/14-50 or 6-50 plug adapter, the Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 40A or greater charging circuit or a non-Tesla charging station with a J1772 charging connector typically capable of 30A charging) then you should open or follow up on your Tesla Service Request. Attach a photo to the service request that shows the Tesla Model Y while charging, i.e. 16A/32A or similar.

Hi,

Have you changed the password on your Tesla account, waited a few days, and tried again? Could be a third party app.

The on-board charger has 3 separate Level 1/2 charging modules. When charging at up to 16A, one module is used. When charging between 16A and 32A then two charging modules are active. When charging at 40A or 48A then all three modules are used. If your Tesla Model Y will not charge above 16A when using Level 2 charging (i.e., the Tesla Mobile Connector w/14-50 or 6-50 plug adapter, the Tesla Wall Connector installed on a 40A or greater charging circuit or a non-Tesla charging station with a J1772 charging connector typically capable of 30A charging) then you should open or follow up on your Tesla Service Request. Attach a photo to the service request that shows the Tesla Model Y while charging, i.e. 16A/32A or similar.
detailed information thanks. Tesla has asked for charge start/stop times so I am going to record these shortly taking pictures.

I have the Tesla Model Y set to 32A but the max it charges is 16A at home.
Yes, that is how it is built and is operating correctly. I see that everyone after your question is giving wrong answers because they missed that your location says Liverpool. Those would be relevant on a North American built car. On the European cars, three phase connections are common, so the onboard chargers built into the cars have to be built to take three phase electricity. This is 16A per phase. But that has an unfortunate side effect that if you are connecting to a charging source that is just single phase, it can only use one of those, so it still ends up being only 16A.

That's just how it is, and there is a whole thread about this exact question/discussion also here in the Model Y charging section.