Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bumped a curb

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Just accidentally scraped a curb. It sucks. Would there be anything I need to look for for structural damage? I’m not too worried about the cosmetic. What is right behind the bumper? Just want to make sure it’s safe to drive. Thanks.

Attachments

• 94D0FAA7-428A-431E-A5BA-B37D1CCAB33B.jpeg
    94D0FAA7-428A-431E-A5BA-B37D1CCAB33B.jpeg
    485.9 KB · Views: 242
No need to worry about structural damage on this bump, definitely safe to drive (with or without the missing clip)

If you have the clip just make sure the center head is pulled out before you insert the clip into the hole. Once the base is in push the center head in and that will lock it into place, assuming it still has all the prongs

Reactions: Verva12
Hello,

Just accidentally scraped a curb. It sucks. Would there be anything I need to look for for structural damage? I’m not too worried about the cosmetic. What is right behind the bumper? Just want to make sure it’s safe to drive. Thanks.

Just use that tube of “touch up paint” left there from the last person that did the same thing!

Ski

No need to worry about structural damage on this bump, definitely safe to drive (with or without the missing clip)

If you have the clip just make sure the center head is pulled out before you insert the clip into the hole. Once the base is in push the center head in and that will lock it into place, assuming it still has all the prongs

thanks! I was able to figure it out!

Reactions: Chris88
Where the bumper meets the underbody protector I cannot tell if it’s “opened” more. It rides just fine but I’m wondering about car washes and ppf. I don’t know if I could get ppf with the scratches currently. What do you think?

Hello,

Man you are sitting way too low.

i1Tesla posted a YouTube video on these tabs you stuck underneath to protect it from scraping.

Fred

Last edited:
Where the bumper meets the underbody protector I cannot tell if it’s “opened” more. It rides just fine but I’m wondering about car washes and ppf. I don’t know if I could get ppf with the scratches currently. What do you think?

You could still get ppf but it won't look good where it covers the scrapes. The deeper the scrapes the larger the air pocket between the bumper and ppf will be and will show. But some kits of ppf won't wrap that far under either, they'll just cut it at the bottom body line.

I just skipped through the video real quick, but I dont really understand the concept of these? You apply them to the bottom of your bumper so your bumper doesn't get scraped, but I assume these will just get scraped instead. And since they're only held on with adhesive I'm sure they'll be a point where you scrape a curb or parking block and they just sheer off the bumper.

Has any one used these and have experience of how they hold up over repeated scraping, or how the rest of the lower bumper holds up with these taking the initial impact?

I just skipped through the video real quick, but I dont really understand the concept of these? You apply them to the bottom of your bumper so your bumper doesn't get scraped, but I assume these will just get scraped instead. And since they're only held on with adhesive I'm sure they'll be a point where you scrape a curb or parking block and they just sheer off the bumper.

Don't think they're meant for repeats, just like the rim protectors. Hopefully they alert you to the sound of a touched curb before your bumper does.

Hey Verva,

seems like we’re living in the same apartment complex in Superior, CO. I could tell by your location and the garage photos. I’ve questions similar to the ones you’ve asked here before and was wondering if we chat directly so that I’ve the correct information related to charging.

thanks,
Concerned new Tesla owner living in your neighborhood