Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a pre-owned nearing cap of warranty miles: go or no-go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are shopping for a pre-owned 2015 70/75/85D and have found a good fit, but it has 72k km on it, so it's close to the 80k warranty cap. It seems it can be had for around $CDN 85k (ie. $US 62k), which is a good price if it wasn't for the pending lack of warranty. Would you touch it or stay away from it?

Thanks,
Paul.

Find out if you can extend the warranty. I am getting conflicting info on it (on the ones I am looking at), but I think some of the rules changed earlier this year and is leading to the confusion.

Previously only the original buyer was eligible to extend the warranty. Several months ago even those of us that bought the car used (in my case from a private party) were able to extend the warranty provided the original one had not lapsed. It appears on the My Tesla page and I have the option to extend for 2 or 4 years. My S is a 2015 that I bought used in Dec 2016 and the option appeared on My Tesla in February I believe. Or sure if this is USA only or extends beyond but it definitely a change in policy from years previous.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4
I'd go for it. I had an out-of-warranty Roadster for 4 years; an extended warranty would have been a waste of money. My wife's Model S has been out of warranty for about 2.5 years, and while it's too early to be certain, so far an extended warranty for it would have been a waste as well. Obviously I can't guarantee the same results; but if you are worried as others have noted it sounds like you can get the extended warranty.

Seems it isn't going to happen because the dealer isn't answering my request to buy the extended warranty for us... which makes me suspect that it actually isn't even possible to do so after the fact. Good news is we have found a 2015 70D direct from Tesla that we have put a deposit down on and will likely close on, after I view the car in Vancouver next week. Thanks everybody!

i dont believe in extended warranties. Most car experts and third party review sites will tell you extended warranties are nothing more than ways for dealers/car manufacturers to make extra money. The logic being you'll rarely if ever have a repair that costs more than what you paid for the warranty. This is generally a fact.

That being said, since Tesla is a relatively new car company and the Model S is young and has had growing pains, extended warranties might be warranted, but it just depends on how much you want to gamble. Personally i wouldn't, but it wouldn't be the worst idea.