Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a tesla win a free tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So Ohio collects a 5% sales tax on cars, and some counties have taxes that are up to 2%. Let's say your county doesn't.

You get a new P100D, you give away your P85, and you pay ~$7k in state taxes for the purchase of a car. On top of that (let's assume you're in the 33% tax bracket), you'd owe another ~$46k in federal taxes for receiving a prize worth $140k. I don't think Tesla pays for this (unless this changed, in which case, never mind)

<--- not a CPA, unless I'm missing something, you sound like you're shooting yourself in the foot. Don't get me wrong, I love my front row seat, but... have you thought this through?

I know the taxes would be high.
I was thinking in the 30s more off a guess but I think it would be worth it.
This whole thing was just a ideal I called tesla this morning they never said anything about the Ohio thing if I knew that I would not off even posted it.

A more practical scheme would be to quickly run up to 19 referrals in a region so everyone gets a 5% discount on their vehicle with prizes in the middle to distribute and a chance to get another vehicle which nets a 10% discount to everyone?

There's more math to it, but how does the theory look like?

I'm dense, I have no idea what you're trying to sell.

How does everyone get 5% off or 10%?
I'm dense, I have no idea what you're trying to sell.

How does everyone get 5% off or 10%?

Note: I am aware that the following is not 'in the spirit of the program' and would be shut down by Tesla. It's just a "what-if" conversation to pass time on a slow news day. On a slightly related note, if a big TSLA share holder can decide to initiate a short squeeze, I would be very thankful.

See details below. The "leader" sells the free vehicle to the last person and distributes the savings to the other referrals. With 22 vehicles in the pool, the chances are better than average of scoring another car which can be redistributed.

----

First to 20 Per Region - Ludicrous P100D Model S or Model X
The first person to refer 20 friends starting from January 16 in each sales region— North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific — will receive a P100D Model S or Model X. They will be invited to configure their award once all 20 friends have taken delivery of their new Tesla vehicles.

and

Ludicrous P100D Model S or Model X
Each qualified referral customers make gives them an additional entry into a drawing to win their choice of either a Ludicrous P100D Model S or Model X.

The "leader" sells the free vehicle to the last person
Umn... the last person just bought a Tesla, because he used the leaders referral. Why would he buy another one? Or are you saying just to sell the brand new P100D to any random person (I'll use this logic going forward)

Take said $140k "free" vehicle. Subtract out state sales tax, twice (once for the leader, and once for the person he sold it to) $15k, then subtract out income tax for the leader $45k, then subtract out the federal/state rebates $10k, then subtract out depreciation (why would anyone buy a car 2nd hand, even with 0 miles, if they can buy it new from Tesla) let's say another $10k, and you're left with $60k profit.

Divide that up to 20 people, and that's $3k each. Unless the car is worth $30k, there is no way you're getting 10% back from pulling this scheme.

Divide that up to 20 people, and that's $3k each. Unless the car is worth $30k, there is no way you're getting 10% back from pulling this scheme.

Your numbers are all correct. I'm pretty sure, though, that it was 5% or 10% because @MXWing was referring to winning one (5%) or two (10%) cars. So in your example, they'd be splitting either $30,000 or $60,000.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
Umn... the last person just bought a Tesla, because he used the leaders referral. Why would he buy another one? Or are you saying just to sell the brand new P100D to any random person (I'll use this logic going forward)

Take said $140k "free" vehicle. Subtract out state sales tax, twice (once for the leader, and once for the person he sold it to) $15k, then subtract out income tax for the leader $45k, then subtract out the federal/state rebates $10k, then subtract out depreciation (why would anyone buy a car 2nd hand, even with 0 miles, if they can buy it new from Tesla) let's say another $10k, and you're left with $60k profit.

Well yes, you sell it to someone outside the program. I think the person wanting to be a part of this would understand their Tesla is not really "second hand". Sounds like you need to then figure out that the head of the program be in a low income tax bracket and in a state without sales tax. Sounds like person #22 should be in the same state.

So yes, there is more ways to optimize. It's not as high as I threw out for fun but not as low as you put it either.

Your numbers are all correct. I'm pretty sure, though, that it was 5% or 10% because @MXWing was referring to winning one (5%) or two (10%) cars. So in your example, they'd be splitting either $30,000 or $60,000.

There's more on how to optimize the prize receipts. There is cash value for the lower level prizes and there is intangible value to get tickets to reveal events, gigafactory tours etc.

Well yes, you sell it to someone outside the program. I think the person wanting to be a part of this would understand their Tesla is not really "second hand". Sounds like you need to then figure out that the head of the program be in a low income tax bracket and in a state without sales tax. Sounds like person #22 should be in the same state.

So yes, there is more ways to optimize. It's not as high as I threw out for fun but not as low as you put it either.
Just for fun, and because I love math (I'm a geek, what can you do?)

[unrealistic] Best case scenario: $140k - $7.5k federal rebate - $0 state rebate (i.e. you're in a state with no rebate, selling to someone in a state with no rebate) - $0 state sales tax on a car - $0 state sales tax on a car for person #22 - $26.5k (assuming you had an income of $0 before you filed, and are filing MFJ) - $0 depreciation (unrealistic, again, the person can just go through Tesla, but I'll go with it) = $106k profit. 20 ways = $5,300 each person. Which could be 5% of a $106k car.

The truth would be somewhere between $3k and $5.3k. But this seems like too much work for even $5k.

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
Just for fun, and because I love math (I'm a geek, what can you do?)

[unrealistic] Best case scenario: $140k - $7.5k federal rebate - $0 state rebate (i.e. you're in a state with no rebate, selling to someone in a state with no rebate) - $0 state sales tax on a car - $0 state sales tax on a car for person #22 - $26.5k (assuming you had an income of $0 before you filed, and are filing MFJ) - $0 depreciation (unrealistic, again, the person can just go through Tesla, but I'll go with it) = $106k profit. 20 ways = $5,300 each person. Which could be 5% of a $106k car.

The truth would be somewhere between $3k and $5.3k. But this seems like too much work for even $5k.

There is great value to being a math geek my friend. If I can come up with some Tesla 11 scheme (like Oceans 11 but with a bunch of car geeks), we need you on the team.

It's not guaranteed but there is that shot at a free car. There is also value for the other perks as well.

And any Tesla owner can do the program so actually we can bring the pool down to 20 cars.
The program head is the 21st car, not the 22nd. So that makes it absolutely clear there is no depreciation. Program head writes a check to everyone else.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Max*