Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy a Used 2016 Model S P100D or a 2020 Plaid Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to buy a Performance Model S Tesla but I don’t know if I should buy a used 2016 P100D Model S from Tesla for roughly $70,000 with approximately 20,000 miles on it or if I should wait for the new 2020 Plaid Performance Model S. A few questions:

1) Do you think the body style change will only be for the Plaid Model S or do you think all model S will have their body style changed? I hate buying a car that has an older body style.

2) Is the Plaid Model S taking over all performance model S from here on out? So, once that comes out, that will be the only performance model you can buy?

3) If I own either car for three years and drive roughly 15,000 miles per year, do you think I would lose more money on the 2016 P100D that would have a total of 65,000 miles on it or do you think I would lose more money on a 2020 Plaid Performance Model S with 45,000 miles on it?

4) Is Tesla only adding a third row to the Plaid Model S or all Tesla Model S?

so who would that be? And have those vehicles been around long enough to know that issue won’t occur with them?
Every other manufacturer I have ever owned.

Since Tesla downgrades add a cap to the battery that isn't on new cars, and every single other manufacturer sells their cars capped new, "who?" is "all of those other manufacturers" because apparently they all knew something Tesla didn't know which is why only Tesla bait-and-switch downgrades us. Except, Tesla did know but thought they could bait and switch us anyway. Everything Tesla tells us there is what they do on our cars at delivery against their own words, and what they later take away after the damage is done they clearly knew about but don't want to warranty. There is no mystery or waiting game. Tesla knows what damaged our batteries and why they bait and switched. They told us before they made any of our cars, exactly how they were going to cause the damage and how they could have avoided it. They explained how and why every other manufacturer didn't have the same flaw from the beginning.

Last edited:
Instead of a Used performance, I would buy a new Raven Long Range.
This is what I've been saying ever since I saw the stats on that thing. It's not often Uncle Paul & I agree on something but we do on this opinion.

When I compare the 0-60 of the Raven LR which is rated at under 4 seconds with real world #'s being about the same as my P85D alongside it's range of nearly 400 miles (soon to be more from the sounds of it) vs 250ish and a price tag of about half that of the P85D when it was new along with all of the other advancements since 2014... That Model S Raven LR is a friggin' bargain at under $70k.

I don't buy new cars because of the absurd depreciation (especially when these things were twice the price) but I can't wait to get my hands on a clean example of one of these for $35k in 4 years.

Reactions: SilverGS
I find it more sad than funny but a lot of people enjoy watching Tesla stumble so I can understand why you'd laugh at misfortune. I hope for all of us owners' sake Tesla stops your laughing soon.

You misunderstood my response. It should be pretty easy to figure out since I highlighted the line in question (which I see you have now since removed from your original comment.). I was laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of that sentence. If you honestly believe that all other manufacturers always do the right thing, wow!!!!!! Or maybe you have been extremely lucky with others. I have not. Far from it. Just google practically any manufacturer and then add “avoid warranty claims”. People complain about that a lot.

Not that this should give Tesla a pass. I want them to always do the right thing too.

Last edited:
If you are considering one of the two options, I vote for the wait. YES, you will lose money on the new purchase, or will you? This could be in limited production and used prices may climb. The problem will be the wait. When will we see the plaid?

Don't think you can go wrong with any Tesla, however they do show their age quickly when newer vehicles offer new hardware. New hardware comes new features.

If you're settling in on the 2016, that may require a bit of research as well. You will want to verify supercharging Free or otherwise. If you're looking at a 3rd party purchase, ensure your able to obtain extended warranty if that's important to you and also verify the vehicle is in good standing with Tesla.

As far as the third row seating, Heck, they haven't given us any clues on how their doing this on the Model Y yet.

Look forward following the thread to see which way you go. I'm torn between the 3 or the S right now.
Which P will it Be? P100D or M3P

You misunderstood my response. It should be pretty easy to figure out since I highlighted the line in question (which I see you have now since removed from your original comment.). I was laughing at the sheer ridiculousness of that sentence. If you honestly believe that all other manufacturers always do the right thing, wow!!!!!! Or maybe you have been extremely lucky with others. I have not. Far from it. Just google practically any manufacturer and then add “avoid warranty claims”. People complain about that a lot.

Not that this should give Tesla a pass. I want them to always do the right thing too.
You misunderstood my response. Other people aren't cryptic unknowable puzzles that can't be comprehended, most of them all have the same feelings and motivations. You might lack one called "empathy" but you can still try to understand that you aren't a different species with different responses. I don't wish you personal expoeriences that force you to make the same decisions, but you will even though you may not realize why.

When you say you believe "all manufacturers always do the right thing" it's no wonder you made yourself laugh - I can only assume you skimmed and didn't read what you responded to, otherwise that's rude of you to say something like that and pretend it wasn't you just to try and start fights with strangers. I'm clearly discussing how every EV manufacturer caps their batteries just like Tesla said they needed to - but doesn't - and that is why Tesla does the wrong thing. Tesla sells cars they know are designed to fail, burn, etc and no other manufacturer is selling them at full 4.2v voltage for the reasons Tesla says they shouldn't, but do. Tesla's warranty legally should cover the damage they knowingly cause but they don't. This is the wrong thing. Capping the battery and not false advertising what they know is a designed failure is the right thing. Every manufacturer BUT Tesla does the right thing, every battery is capped safely. Only TEsla does what Tesla themselves told you is the wrong thing.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: SO16
You misunderstood my response. Other people aren't cryptic unknowable puzzles that can't be comprehended, most of them all have the same feelings and motivations. You might lack one called "empathy" but you can still try to understand that you aren't a different species with different responses. I don't wish you personal expoeriences that force you to make the same decisions, but you will even though you may not realize why.

When you say you believe "all manufacturers always do the right thing" it's no wonder you made yourself laugh - I can only assume you skimmed and didn't read what you responded to, otherwise that's rude of you to say something like that and pretend it wasn't you just to try and start fights with strangers. I'm clearly discussing how every EV manufacturer caps their batteries just like Tesla said they needed to - but doesn't - and that is why Tesla does the wrong thing. Tesla sells cars they know are designed to fail, burn, etc and no other manufacturer is selling them at full 4.2v voltage for the reasons Tesla says they shouldn't, but do. Tesla's warranty legally should cover the damage they knowingly cause but they don't. This is the wrong thing. Capping the battery and not false advertising what they know is a designed failure is the right thing. Every manufacturer BUT Tesla does the right thing, every battery is capped safely. Only TEsla does what Tesla themselves told you is the wrong thing.

Love how you now resort to personal attacks. Thanks! I appreciate it. Makes me really want to empathize with you now.

Other vehicles lose range and some by a massive amount over time. Albeit not handled the same way but the end result is the same. You can’t drive as far as you once could with that vehicle.

If you can find a good price on used P series, buy it, drive it until the Plaid comes out, wait until the dust clears and bugs are revised, then sell the P, and buy the Plaid. You should not suffer too much more depreciation if you shop well.

Nobody here but you is talking about "losing range over time" - Tesla knowingly sells cars that are flawed and dangerous over time, and instead of repairing this known flaw they steal from owners to reduce their expenses at the cost of owners. This is unjust enrichment, fraud, false advertising, et cetera. Many crimes, the "wrong thing" and we aren't discussing loss of anything "over time" we're discussing theft.