Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buy extended warranty and service plan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the 4+4 (without Ranger) Service Plan literally hours before the "service is no longer compulsory" announcement. My rationale had been that I drive about double the plan's annual limit and that I would end up needing an inspection twice a year. Now, I may simply go in annually and actually get 8 years of coverage instead of four. Also, if I sell the car before then, I understand it's transferrable and might be a selling feature. Having seen the Tesla Service Checklist, $600 does seem steep for what you get.

I do plan on buying the extended warranty, but I'll wait until I'm close to the factory warranty expiring.

Bought both programs for both P85s. We assume the pricing will increase for the warranty over time and want to maintain a perfect vehicle and overall cost control with as little thought and effort on our part.

I bought the 4+4 (without Ranger) Service Plan literally hours before the "service is no longer compulsory" announcement. My rationale had been that I drive about double the plan's annual limit and that I would end up needing an inspection twice a year. Now, I may simply go in annually and actually get 8 years of coverage instead of four. Also, if I sell the car before then, I understand it's transferrable and might be a selling feature. Having seen the Tesla Service Checklist, $600 does seem steep for what you get.

I do plan on buying the extended warranty, but I'll wait until I'm close to the factory warranty expiring.

Mknox,

Where can I find the Tesla Service Checklist?

I bought the 4+4 (without Ranger) Service Plan literally hours before the "service is no longer compulsory" announcement. My rationale had been that I drive about double the plan's annual limit and that I would end up needing an inspection twice a year. Now, I may simply go in annually and actually get 8 years of coverage instead of four.

I was planning to do the same, but the agreement clearly states that you can not do this:

"maintenance inspections must be performed within 1,000 miles or 30 days of the specified maintenance intervals for Your selected Plan. Any scheduled maintenance not completed within such time will be excluded and no maintenance inspections will be added as a replacement for any such excluded maintenance inspections."

I'm having a hard time figuring out whether I should buy a service plan, and if so,
which one. I'm the kind of guy who's fine with paying for things if something goes
wrong - I never add insurance for rental cars, for example. So I'm trying to
determine if $600 makes financial sense. I'm leaning toward either trying it for a
year, or doing nothing. I have two weeks to decide. For what it's worth, I drive
around 12000 miles/year, and I'm within 15 miles of a service center.

Tesla Service includes:
- Annual inspection (or every 12,500 miles)
- Replacement parts like brake pads and windshield wipers (excluding tires)
- 24 hour roadside assistance
- System monitoring
- Remote diagnostics
- Hardware upgrades

Questions:
- Can I just go to a Tesla store and pay for an inspection/checkup? What would that cost?
- Same thing for stuff like brake pads and wipers, etc. What about tires?
- I assume if something goes wrong out on the road, I call Tesla (at what number?), and
without a service plan I pay for the visit. Not sure how all this works in the new world.
- Dumb question: Without a service plan, I still get software updates over the air, right? Saw a line or two that cast doubt on that, but seems unlikely. Car tried to update last night and failed.
- What do I risk if I lack system monitoring and remote diagnostics?
- What are "hardware upgrades"? Can those be done outside of a service plan?

Thanks for any info on this. Love my Model S, even if it's smarter than I am.
[cross-posted to teslamotors and teslamotorsclub, apologies if you read both]

My windshield cracked yesterday. Our local service center is about a 45 minute drive. I called in and mentioned that I paid for the service plan and ranger service. They said they need the car for three days and they will provide a model S or roadster loaner. The convenience of saving a couple of hours plus a good loaner makes me glad I paid for the ranger service.

It seems likely to me that if you want to be able to get the extended service plan you will need to purchase a service plan for the first four years. Anyone seen a policy on this?

If I was Tesla, that's how I'd do it anyways. If I am going to sell an extended plan, I'd want to be inspecting the car every year leading up to it to make sure small problems aren't turning into big problems that I wouldn't know about when I sell the extended plan.

My windshield cracked yesterday. Our local service center is about a 45 minute drive. I called in and mentioned that I paid for the service plan and ranger service. They said they need the car for three days and they will provide a model S or roadster loaner. The convenience of saving a couple of hours plus a good loaner makes me glad I paid for the ranger service.
I would expect this to happen under warranty (unless crack was caused by a stone or so). So no service plan needed.