Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyback, Followed by a Rejection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and, we took delivery of VIN 60,3xx (one of the first 400 made for 2021) and I figured after the 3rd quarter rush to push numbers through it would be perfect. But, alas, it wasn't but it was pretty close. They are NEVER perfect, just defects that people don't notice. The big seat scratch, the one really bad panel in one of your pictures...I can understand as we rejected a Y the last Sunday of September because it had a few defects (one which I have never seen on another Y yet). Our 2021 replacement had drivers door adjustment and the rear liftgate on the drivers side where it meets the tail lamp was off a bit. Both issues fixed.

And, here's the worst part. It's only going to get worse in the next few weeks as Tesla pushes for end of the year numbers. They REALLY want to hit their target of 500K total cars this year, even with the pandemic. So you might start to see many complaints in mid December to early January of lots of defects. Funny thing is, as bad as the car was that we rejected, a person just ordering and not knowing about Tesla's panel gaps and other defects wouldn't know to look for these things.

That being said, unless you have a lease coming due or need to replace a car that isn't working right away, even if you reject 2 cars I would keep going until you get the car that meets your standards. I say that as we truly enjoy driving the Y and love the way the white/white looks so rich with the black wheels. Many things like gaps can be fixed if not too bad. Good luck in whatever you decide. (btw, we also own a Model 3 since 2018...with all their problems ramping up, we took delivery in the first week of August 2018 and had NO problems at all).

0603xx also, delivered 10/29. Similar story. Not perfect, but not worthy of a reject. Front passenger door misaligned, left rear door outer handle sticking. Both items scheduled for correction on 12/3. Otherwise loving the car, just like the Model 3 I traded in for it. Similar story with that one as well. The fact is, these cars are manufactured appliances - fascinating and exciting though they are. Enjoy.