Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer beware. Buying a CPO Tesla feels like a SCAM.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP- this really sucks. I hope you get resolution ASAP!

Side note...if Musk is sleeping on the factory floor he is not managing Sales and Service. He really needs to spend on Sales and Service to make Tesla great. Hire good people and hold middle managers (service center managers) accountable for the crap service they're providing.

I'm sad to say that right now, owning a tesla is awesome, just pray you don't need any kind of service.

I have had great service in Michigan with the Tesla rangers. But I do hope I never have an accident as it seems like it takes months for a repair.

Looking at the pictures it is hard to envision how the car could have been delivered this way. It is impossible that anyone who sat in the car didn't see what it looked like, so it is per definition not an "oversight". Especially the person who drove it on to the truck for final delivery must have realized "the way this car looks now is how the customer will receive it". Something else is going on. Could OPs car have been refurbished to the less pristine condition due to geographical preferences? When I rented in NY I received cars with dirty interiors. Last time when I got one with coffee stains all over its seats and scratches all around, I asked if I would be held liable for all this once I return it, the rep said "no, it is a New York thing" this is the way the cars go out and the way they come back, it is considered normal. I asked if he was joking, but no he said with a straight face this is ther company standard for cars in New York only. If the service center thought the car looked good they may have thought the OP was the crazy one and therefore they were, in their mind rightfully, hiding from him for 5 weeks. Then it became too public and they have to come out of the woodworks make it "right". Although in their mind it was perhaps always right? It is a question of expectations and perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guy V and dhrivnak
Look at the first picture There is fraying of the headliner. How the heck does that happen? I guess I can understand someone using the headliner as a napkin for dirty hands but it coming apart?

That car was rode hard and put away wet. It is beat.

My headliner is like this. It's just that the seal gets pushed back a little. When I told the service center about it, they said it's because it's a "floating seal" and basically pulled the door seal back over the top of the headliner and it looked normal again. Seems like a poor design, but don't really think it's a problem with the car, exactly. They must have fixed it in later years. I bought mine new in 2013.

The rest of the OP's car is absolutely unacceptable, however.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and GatorGuy
i question this "new" post i remember reading the exact same story about a year ago. i on the other hand have been driving tesla now for five years my model S is almost two years out of warranty and yet i still get amazing service loaner cars and even some jobs covered under customer goodwill

Reactions: Guy V
Not sure how to start a new thread ands would appreciate admins help in doing that.
Topic: Problems with iPhone and Model S and X
I own a 2016 Model S. My good friend owns a Model X
We are both having problems with mobile connectivity as very often the speaker system on the car doesn’t work and you can only hear the person calling you if you talk through the iPhones microphone and listen on the phones speaker system as well.
While rebooting the computer seems to fix the problem in short order it happens time and time again.
Anybody out ther know the fix for this annoying problem?
Thanks

Certified Pre Owned
What does “certified” mean in this context? Sounds like fraudulent use of the word.
Try to get Elon on the phone. This sort of no-service counteracts huge goodwill worth million$. And this what unsupervised contractors do without strong controls. Why not suggest having company concierges to help those with grievances until they are satisfied.

There is also the chance of sabotage from those who hate Tesla or those who oppose
Tesla’s business model. The headliner probs look like a really dirty mechanic has been loose.

Gotta be honest - the only person who failed here was the buyer.

If you do not carefully inspect your new or used vehicle before you turn over the money, you deserve what you get.

It's not brain surgery. You trust but verify. You inspect. You check and you review. If you don't like the condition - you don't buy it.

Too dark, too bright, polarized sunglasses, rain, snow, first time this week its Tuesday- YOUR FAULT.

The ONLY thing you cannot be held responsible for are hidden items and things that cannot be inspected. Such as battery or motor damage.

My wife complains about how easily the cream interior gets stained. My response is I told her not to buy cream or white.

I just think this is a poorly thought of decision that they will have to revisit sooner or later. Tesla is the only company I own stock in and I don;t think they have any major issues. They will eventually get the Model 3 ramp up on track and obliterate their competition.

In the meantime they really should address this awful policy change and come up with something fair to Tesla and their customers.
Dave:

I'm neither going to praise nor slam Tesla, but rather offer a bit of advice. Namely having your investment portfolio consist of only 1 stock is extremely risky and I don't care if we're talking TSLA, GM, Citibank, or HomeDeport. And certainly not one as volatile as TSLA which is capable of 50 to 100 point swings over the course of 12 - 18 months.

And, it's good practice to take 20 minutes to read the quarterly financial reports that every publicly traded company files with the SEC before making an investment.

From what I can see, the used cars they sell are neither "affordable, more available or accessible much faster." The primary goal of this policy seems to be to pass the cost of vehicles damaged/trashed by the loaner program to people buying used cars. They are selling 3-4 year old cars for nearly $100K without offering any refurbishment or photos of the car they are selling.
Agree, and in addition to undercutting private sellers. When Tesla started their CPO program, many private sellers had to lower their prices due to the competition (which was great for buyers). Many buyers thought they were getting a better car from the CPO even though they are slightly more in price. But with this new CPO policy, one is really better off buying from a dealer or private person with cars that are still under warranty.

I bought a CPO 2016 MS70D (now 75D) 18 months ago. It had 4600 miles on it.

It also made me nervous to buy an expensive vehicle I had never seen or driven. My car was shipped from Atlanta to the factory in Fremont for delivery.

While the communication between clicking the “Buy Now” button and being notified the vehicle had arrived left a lot to be desired, overall the experience was a good one and the car was beautiful. The only noticeable dirt was in the wheel wells. Clearly 4600 miles versus 40,000 is significant, but it still hard to believe Tesla delivered a car that hadn’t even been cleaned.

I, for one am happy I purchased a CPO.

@slowinfastout - it might be good to remember not all Tesla’s are purchased by men. Your post is immature and offensive.

Wow OP....Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope they make it right for you in a manner you find acceptable. I am also sorry to see the new used car policy!

I purchased a CPO in Oct. 2017 and it was a wonderful experience, so much so, that I got another CPO in March 2018. They both looked brand new when I picked them up and have been performing really well. Not sure I would have the same confidence level going into another one with their updated policy.

I am sorry you are not having the same experience...

Now I see why my credit union and bank don't want to finance these car with stories and horror stories like this I'm not surprised.
I now see what they mean by protecting me. Well looks like I will not be buying my third Tesla after this. Looks like the Jaguar I pace is in the game.

Now I see why my credit union and bank don't want to finance these car with stories and horror stories like this I'm not surprised.
I now see what they mean by protecting me. Well looks like I will not be buying my third Tesla after this. Looks like the Jaguar I pace is in the game.

I generally agree with the sentiment but why are you comparing a used Tesla to a new-yet-unreleased car?

What does “certified” mean in this context? Sounds like fraudulent use of the word.
Try to get Elon on the phone. This sort of no-service counteracts huge goodwill worth million$. And this what unsupervised contractors do without strong controls. Why not suggest having company concierges to help those with grievances until they are satisfied.

There is also the chance of sabotage from those who hate Tesla or those who oppose
Tesla’s business model. The headliner probs look like a really dirty mechanic has been loose.
The new CPO program includes certified mechanical inspection but not cosmetic. Also has mechanical warranty.
As far as cosmetic goes, it's a used car so won't be in pristine condition. Worse depending on mileage, etc.

Reactions: Guy V and bhzmark
Just saw this thread and sounds like a horrible experience. The CPO program actually does cover cosmetics as well as mechanical. When I bought my CPO I inspected it and came up with a punch list of items. Tesla fixed, replaced and repainted everything on the list so my care looked like new. There were a couple things I missed but they fixed those too. Did not have any of the issues described with the service center, in fact they were great. My only advice is that if you are buying any used car inspect in closely before taking final delivery.

Agree, and in addition to undercutting private sellers. When Tesla started their CPO program, many private sellers had to lower their prices due to the competition (which was great for buyers). Many buyers thought they were getting a better car from the CPO even though they are slightly more in price. But with this new CPO policy, one is really better off buying from a dealer or private person with cars that are still under warranty.
The advantage to a private party purchase is that it could still be eligible for the ESA, which could be good peace of mind for purchasing a used Tesla, and might even be more miles/time than the CPO warranty anyways (although it comes with the $200 deductible per visit).

Reactions: P85Dave