Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buyer Remorse...Maybe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally would never, ever get air on an MS again. The 90 (on the original 19s) rides like a floating boat compared to the 70 (on 19s) on coils, but I understand people have different preferences. Putting 21s on the 90 improved the ride significantly.

Personally would never, ever get air on an MS again. The 90 (on the original 19s) rides like a floating boat compared to the 70 (on 19s) on coils, but I understand people have different preferences. Putting 21s on the 90 improved the ride significantly.
My P85D with air and "+" suspension rides very nice and tight on 19's. I also like the lowering at speed which makes for an even tighter handling (many people can't tell, I can). My wife's 75D feels softer, but not as soft as some non "+" air I've driven in loaners. For my wife, coils have an added benefit of not having to remember to raise the car in parking lots, or not park over curbs in case the car lowers during parking (happened to me once, glad I noticed or would have experienced a rapid bumper removal - never ever park over curbs anymore).

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
What don't you like about coils?
They do not ride as smooth as air on any kind of pavement imperfections - the air springs really smooth out bumps/cracks/expansion joints/ - anything really. The coils are more sporting, no doubt - but for most long drives I want comfort not a sports car. Having said this the air springs are still very sporting - a Tesla with super low cg is a great handling car even with the softer air springs.

• Helpful
Reactions: rjcbox

This is an exaggeration - it is no floating boat. Even with air springs the Tesla is not a Lexus or old school Cadillac - it's still a very tight, very controlled ride.

My P85D with air and "+" suspension rides very nice and tight on 19's. I also like the lowering at speed which makes for an even tighter handling (many people can't tell, I can). My wife's 75D feels softer, but not as soft as some non "+" air I've driven in loaners. For my wife, coils have an added benefit of not having to remember to raise the car in parking lots, or not park over curbs in case the car lowers during parking (happened to me once, glad I noticed or would have experienced a rapid bumper removal - never ever park over curbs anymore).
I think Tesla is frequently tweaking the spring rates and damping systems from year to year without telling us a darn thing. The 2014 RWD air I rented in Phoenix a few months back feels quite a bit floatier than my 2017 with air. A 2015 60D I rented on coils this winter for a few weeks felt even more firmly sprung than my 2016 on coils (also felt like the throttle response was tuned to be more aggressive than my 2016 - I quite liked it). @whitex I have never gotten to drive a + suspension with air such as yours or an early P85D. Might be the magic combination of best handling and also comfort over small bumps.

I have coil suspension. I feel it drives better than air. I've rarely had the too steep driveway issue, like once or twice in the past two years. And I'm not sure how much of a difference air would make since it doesn't raise the car by that much. Meanwhile I feel some reassurance that my repairs will be cheaper.

I have air. I have encountered steep driveways. The school I occasionally take/pick-up my niece to/from has one. I bottomed out the first time, because it's a deceptive incline. Geo-tagging is great because now I never have to worry about it. I've not driven a coil version. I would want to test drive it to that school before I'd buy one.

Coils are significantly harsher - don't listen anyone who tells you otherwise

I had an air loaner for a week and the difference was not significant to me. I took it on the highway and to my cabin abd on gravel and not the best of roads. It was smoother than coils but not by a lot. The ability to raise it is great but a lot can go wrong too.

But don't listen to either of us. Test drive both and judge for yourself.

This is an exaggeration - it is no floating boat. Even with air springs the Tesla is not a Lexus or old school Cadillac - it's still a very tight, very controlled ride.

We must have very different driving styles.

I stand by my "floating boat" comment on the 90DL on the original 19" rims and tires. Tight and Controlled is certainly is not. Point of reference is my favorite Tesla, the P85+. I will never purchase another P car unless/until Tesla puts a proper suspension under it.