Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a 2015 Model S 85 and have a few questions for the experts.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I found a 2015 Model S 85 with 118K miles for a great price. I'm going to sign the paperwork today pick it up in the next day or two. I just have a few questions.

I got a carfax report and the first entry says is on 12/19/2015 / Milage 7,824 / Florida Vehicle purchase reported. I'm assuming it was some sort of demo? does that mean the Battery/ Drive motor warranty is good thru 12/19/2023?

What accessories should I make sure to look for? I'm assuming a charger and j1772 adaptor? Anything else?

How can I tell what features the car has like AP or an upgraded MCU? I was told no unlimited SC which is fine since I would do 99% of my charging from home.

Anything else to look for?

Thanks in advance for your help.

A 2015 S will have MCU1 as default, but possibly someone upgraded it to MCU2. To tell, go to Controls -> Software and select "Additional Hardware Information". If the line for Infotainment Processor shows: "Intel Atom", then it's MCU2.

I'm not sure Carfax can be trusted as to the date it was put in service. Likely true, but it could have been sold at the end of 2014. Sold earlier, then that's when the 8-year battery warranty starts. The Tesla App will show the correct warranty date, but I suspect you will not see that until you own the car.

Odd that unlimited SC is not included. I suspect the car was bought by Tesla and sold at auction without Lifetime SC as only Tesla can do this. Tesla can't remove Lifetime SC except for salvage vehicles and used ones they bought and elect to resell. Nothing wrong with that, but just so you know that it doesn't have Lifetime SC so it is not misrepresented what you're buying.

Seems like others have provided you with some solid info about the status of your warranty. That said, you will likely want to confirm the exact date with Tesla. There are some third party warranty options available to extend your bumper to bumper coverage, and I believe a third party drive unit and battery extended warranty will also hit the market sometime this year. TBH battery and drive unit failures are not super common and more than likely any issues with those components would've been flushed out by the original owner (given age and mileage).

Regarding accessories, the 2015 MS came with the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector i.e charger), a 240V adapter, a 110V adapter, the J1772 adapter, and a tow hook. I cannot recall if the parcel shelf for the rear trunk was included during this production run but I believe it was.

In terms of things to look out for:

- Door handle operation (some of them will likely fail; very common issue with earlier production vehicles). Check for any weird popping noises or contact between the handle and the handle cutout on the door.
- Delaminating touch screen (this would be pretty obvious but if your vehicle was affected you'd see some yellowing and bubbling around the edges of the screen)

Mostly minor things but a malfunctioning door handle can be a bit of pain to deal with (ask me how I know). In any case, congrats on the purchase. You are going to fall in love.

Cheers!

Get it in writing what the battery warranty means - IIRC Tesla have over the years increased the allowable degradation for the 8 year / XXX miles' claim. Not saying it's a problem, but if it's in writing from the original owner there's no argument.

A 2015 S will have MCU1 as default, but possibly someone upgraded it to MCU2. To tell, go to Controls -> Software and select "Additional Hardware Information". If the line for Infotainment Processor shows: "Intel Atom", then it's MCU2.

I'm not sure Carfax can be trusted as to the date it was put in service. Likely true, but it could have been sold at the end of 2014. Sold earlier, then that's when the 8-year battery warranty starts. The Tesla App will show the correct warranty date, but I suspect you will not see that until you own the car.

Odd that unlimited SC is not included. I suspect the car was bought by Tesla and sold at auction without Lifetime SC as only Tesla can do this. Tesla can't remove Lifetime SC except for salvage vehicles and used ones they bought and elect to resell. Nothing wrong with that, but just so you know that it doesn't have Lifetime SC so it is not misrepresented what you're buying.
Thanks for the help! Is there a way to know if it has had the eMMC chip replaced?

As far as the SuperCharging goes... The first owner leased the car so my guess is they turned it in at the end of the lease and Tesla sold it at auction and removed the unlimited SuperCharging.

Regarding accessories, the 2015 MS came with the UMC (Universal Mobile Connector i.e charger), a 240V adapter, a 110V adapter, the J1772 adapter, and a tow hook. I cannot recall if the parcel shelf for the rear trunk was included during this production run but I believe it was.

In terms of things to look out for:

- Delaminating touch screen (this would be pretty obvious but if your vehicle was affected you'd see some yellowing and bubbling around the edges of the screen)

Were would the tow hook be stored in 2015 MS. In Frunk under carpet material lining?

I inquired about the MCU2/infotainment upgrade and Tesla is asking$2k for that. The touchscreen replacement is about $1k itself so better bang for buck to get MCU2 if you dont have it

Were would the tow hook be stored in 2015 MS. In Frunk under carpet material lining?

I inquired about the MCU2/infotainment upgrade and Tesla is asking$2k for that. The touchscreen replacement is about $1k itself so better bang for buck to get MCU2 if you dont have it
In my 2015 Model S, the tow hook was originally stored under the mat in the frunk, as I recall. But I moved it after I was shown it could be stored in the bag for the mobile connector.

Thinking about picking up a used 2015 85D with 100,000k and getting MCU2 installed at Tesla SC. Don’t think Tesla will provide old service records.

Is there anything (fluids, suspension,etc..) that I should ask Tesla to check over since car will be at SC?

On the warranty, it's 8-years on the drivetrain (battery and traction motors), and for those with MCU1 (which this car came with) the warranty is also 8-years.
So I was able to get the final details and have an appointment to get it tomorrow.
Upgraded headliner, Wood Trim, Pano Roof, MCU 2.0, Air Suspension, AP 1.0, and premium connectivity.
Congrats! Nice that it has the MCU2 upgrade. I think you'll get lifetime connectivity, as that was standard back in 2015. Saves you $100/year.

On the warranty, it's 8-years on the drivetrain (battery and traction motors), and for those with MCU1 (which this car came with) the warranty is also 8-years.

Congrats! Nice that it has the MCU2 upgrade. I think you'll get lifetime connectivity, as that was standard back in 2015. Saves you $100/year.
I was so stoked because that was the first thing I was going to do. Saved me $2K off the bat. I wonder if they added the FM upgrade.

So I ended up purchasing it and was even better than I thought! It had the executive seats and the last owner added the FM module to the MCU upgrade.

Now how do I delete the info from the last owner? Would you recommend a factory reset os should I program everything one at a time?

Reactions: David29
Congratulations!
If it were me, I think I would just go through all the settings and change them one at a time.
One place that night be tedious is in the audio app. You will have all the previous owner's music tagged as "Favorites" and the stations created for his/her listening. Not sure how easy it would be to delete those.

Congratulations!
If it were me, I think I would just go through all the settings and change them one at a time.
One place that night be tedious is in the audio app. You will have all the previous owner's music tagged as "Favorites" and the stations created for his/her listening. Not sure how easy it would be to delete those.
That is what I was thinking. It would also give me a reason to look at every single sub menu as well

Hi everyone,

I found a 2015 Model S 85 with 118K miles for a great price. I'm going to sign the paperwork today pick it up in the next day or two. I just have a few questions.

I got a carfax report and the first entry says is on 12/19/2015 / Milage 7,824 / Florida Vehicle purchase reported. I'm assuming it was some sort of demo? does that mean the Battery/ Drive motor warranty is good thru 12/19/2023?

What accessories should I make sure to look for? I'm assuming a charger and j1772 adaptor? Anything else?

How can I tell what features the car has like AP or an upgraded MCU? I was told no unlimited SC which is fine since I would do 99% of my charging from home.

Anything else to look for?

Thanks in advance for your help.
My eyebrow goes up whenever I’m looking at a car that was ever bought/registered in Florida. Wouldnt stop me from getting it if the price is right, but I’d give it a harder look to see if there was any damage that was fixed and not reported.