Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Tesla Model 3 AWD - advise needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! New to the forums, but love the community, so friendly.

My wife and I are test driving a tesla model 3 AWD and a performance model today. Did an AWD test drive already and fell in love with the tech etc...

We're close to pulling the trigger, and as much as i'd love to buy a performance model, the 10k additional and the reports i have seen on here regarding pothole damage, the expense of the tires etc... has moved me away from it. If it was on 18 inch wheels and not much different than the AWD LR i would have in a heart beat (currently drive an infiniti G37XS 2009).

Anyways i digress, wanted advise from new owners or experience people, what questions should i ask the dealership? what should i know or try out? I already printed out a delivery checklist from on here so that's good.

Anyways, any advise would be appreciated. Oh and also accessories, any i should aim for??

Also, anyone consider leasing over buying?

Thanks in advance!

Never heard of these pothole damage myself, but you can use any tire you want on it once the tread on the factory ones are done.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships just service centres. You don't need to ask them anything, just go through the vehicle for any damage from delivery. Only reason to contact the service centre pre-delivery is to ask for accommodations like higher state of charge if you have a long drive back home.

Get a Tesla charger installed in your garage if you have one. Finance/Buy over lease unless you're getting it as a company vehicle (IMO)

Reactions: windgrins
Seeing that the car in base model is so much faster than most anything else, the P3D is only an expensive toy for me. I've got a LR RWD for about a year and I don't regret a single penny of the purchase, which included AP and FSD.

For some folks, going to the track, moding the car and buying lots of tire is fun. I've got other hobbies.

I'd suggest saving the money for your next purchase of a Model Y next year.

• Love
Reactions: Leafdriver333
Hi There,

Thanks for the response. I went through quite a bit in these forums, and apparently a number of people stated that performance cars where getting damage under the cars due to being lower to the ground. That they are also bumpier rides, and obviously much more expensive to replace tires etc...

Never heard of these pothole damage myself, but you can use any tire you want on it once the tread on the factory ones are done.

Tesla doesn't have dealerships just service centres. You don't need to ask them anything, just go through the vehicle for any damage from delivery. Only reason to contact the service centre pre-delivery is to ask for accommodations like higher state of charge if you have a long drive back home.

Get a Tesla charger installed in your garage if you have one. Finance/Buy over lease unless you're getting it as a company vehicle (IMO)[/QUO

You are in Maryland, where it gets cold for part of the year, certainly well below the 40F threshold for performance tires.

So one option is simply for AWD with all-season tires, either 18" or 19".

For a Performance, you'd have to also invest in a set of snow tires to use for at least 4 months each year.

BTW: Having a 14-30 or 14-50 socket in your garage is plenty of power unless you have a very long daily commute.

Hi There,

Thanks for the response. I went through quite a bit in these forums, and apparently a number of people stated that performance cars where getting damage under the cars due to being lower to the ground. That they are also bumpier rides, and obviously much more expensive to replace tires etc...
Keep in mind that people will only talk about their experience online if it's negative. People usually don't bother when everything is working the way it's supposed to. I doubt a lot of people have this issue and is probably relative to where you live and the road conditions, however the Performance isn't THAT much lower to cause a lot of issues.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
The Performance model is barely any lower to the ground (maybe 1cm). The most common damage I hear about in the forums is from potholes to the 20" wheels that come on the Performance model. The tire sidewalls are a bit skinnier so they can't absorb the same amount of pothole compared to the 18" or 19" wheels that are available for the AWD model.

The AWD is plenty fast for most people, with 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. If you feel the need for speed the Performance model will likely satisfy that for you, shaving that time down to 3.2 seconds. Wheel options are more limited for the Performance because of the wheel hub protruding slightly past the brake rotor hat. As others have stated above, finding winter wheel or tire options will be more difficult and 20" winter tires are going to be more expensive than ones available for 18" or 19" options.

Hi There! Thanks for the advise there. I am in MD, snow tires are definitely not needed. Haven't needed them on my infiniti and won't need them on the tesla I think. You're right though, if I did get the performance i'd only be getting it for the 3.2 seconds, i won't be tracking it.

I'd also need to sell the wheel and tires it comes with and replace them with 18 inch wheel and tires that are all season, and frankly, it is SO hard to justify the cost! 10k... for my guy testosterone and pride... so hard to justify but so want it! heh

Umm... for the charging station, are you suggesting i don't need Tesla to install one for me? isn't the charge 5kw per hour on a normal electric charge? I am no expert so 14-30 or 14-50 doesn't tell me much.

If I do go with a tesla charger should i get a seperate electrician to do it? cheaper?

Thanks for all the help everyone.

You are in Maryland, where it gets cold for part of the year, certainly well below the 40F threshold for performance tires.

So one option is simply for AWD with all-season tires, either 18" or 19".

For a Performance, you'd have to also invest in a set of snow tires to use for at least 4 months each year.

BTW: Having a 14-30 or 14-50 socket in your garage is plenty of power unless you have a very long daily commute.

Definitely getting a long range car, and AWD... i won't do without one. 18 inch wheels for me as well.

Spend some time with the chart here Tesla Range Table - Teslike.com

In cold weather more range makes life easier. The same is true in rain which hurts range. Tesla traction control is exceptional. The RWD is better than any front wheel drive car I have driven. However, AWD might matter where you are. Note the range difference with different rims/tires.

Thanks for the info. If i do get a performance, then i'd immediately get 18 inch wheels and tires, all weather. It's only the speed i want but umm... hard to justify. Besides my wife has to also drive it and frankly i worry about her driving a car that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.

The Performance model is barely any lower to the ground (maybe 1cm). The most common damage I hear about in the forums is from potholes to the 20" wheels that come on the Performance model. The tires are a bit skinnier so they can't absorb the same amount of pothole compared to the 18" or 19" wheels that are available for the AWD model.

The AWD is plenty fast for most people, with 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. If you feel the need for speed the Performance model will likely satisfy that for you, shaving that time down to 3.2 seconds. Wheel options are more limited for the Performance because of the wheel hub protruding slightly past the brake rotor hat. As others have stated above, finding winter wheel or tire options will be more difficult and 20" winter tires are going to be more expensive than ones available for 18" or 19" options.

Seeing that the car in base model is so much faster than most anything else, the P3D is only an expensive toy for me. I've got a LR RWD for about a year and I don't regret a single penny of the purchase, which included AP and FSD.

For some folks, going to the track, moding the car and buying lots of tire is fun. I've got other hobbies.

I'd suggest saving the money for your next purchase of a Model Y next year.

Very good point about saving the money. This car will be both for myself and my wife, eventually i'll get one for myself fully, but for now... i think that 3.2 seconds can wait.

Thanks for the info. If i do get a performance, then i'd immediately get 18 inch wheels and tires, all weather. It's only the speed i want but umm... hard to justify. Besides my wife has to also drive it and frankly i worry about her driving a car that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds.
You won't be able to find many 18" wheels that fit due to the hub lip issue already mentioned and the larger brake caliper housing compared to the non-performance models. They exist, but the two issues combine to severely limit your options.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia

I got the performance (Philly area, pretty comparable), and don’t regret it for a moment. I’m willing to get a set of snow tires or all-season tires, though the amount of actual snow this year was minimal (last year was worse). Tsportline has 18” wheels that fit over the performance brakes, though that’s another $1200. I guess it depends on how often you find serious potholes. We’ve replaced one tire and rim due to a pothole in 20 years, so I’m not sure a second set of wheels are economical insurance.

Don’t discount the improved brakes with the P3D by the way — its not just better acceleration, it’s also better emergency stopping. Though it’s sounding like there may be no hitch option (I’d use one for a bike rack, if anything, not a trailer).

I wouldn’t worry about your wife driving the performance. The pedal has plenty of travel, and you have to use it all to move from ‘gentle’ to ‘it gave me a shove in the back’ to ‘I felt that in my eyeballs!’ :) There’s always chill mode, too.

So... if the money is a concern that’s legit. But as for the other objections to the Performance, I’m not swayed. :)

Reactions: MXWing
If you have the extra 10k to spend; by all means get performance. Otherwise save your money and get LR AWD only. I did and I love it. I don't launch at every stop light. When I do; the AWD non-p is enough for me; 0-60 in 4.4 seconds is plenty. Unless you plan to go to the track; I don't see why. Good luck and you'll love it.

I am a Long range RWD owner living in southern Wisconsin.

The performance of my car is plenty, I feel like if it was faster I would get myself in trouble.

The performance in the snow is fine on the stock 18 it could be better but I have owned cars that handle much much worse.

Make sure you have a high powered charger where you live and park over night, best part about the EV experience is having a “full tank” ever single morning.

I am a Long range RWD owner living in southern Wisconsin.

The performance of my car is plenty, I feel like if it was faster I would get myself in trouble.

The performance in the snow is fine on the stock 18 it could be better but I have owned cars that handle much much worse.

Make sure you have a high powered charger where you live and park over night, best part about the EV experience is having a “full tank” ever single morning.

I'm considering requesting a quote to install a charger in my garage. Does that sound like a good idea in general? not sure if i have a 240V in the garage... doubt i do.

Only you can decide the $$ vs. 0-60 tradeoff. AWD vs. RWD involves more $$$ vs. 0-60 tradeoff. Even the RWD is quicker than most cars in the real world use case. I have both an AWD and a RWD. The AWD is definitely quicker but the RWD isn't slow. At times I wish I had gotten the Performance because I have had a number of sports cars over the years and the RWD car handles the long trip needs.

If you want to track the car then the answer is obvious because only the Performance has track mode. If it is a daily driver with long trips then RWD moves to the top of my list. My RWD (really my partner's) is the trip car. The extra 50 miles or so is great on a trip and has enabled us to skip Superchargers the AWD with 19" rims would have had to stop at.