Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used M3 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tem2225

Dec 16, 2020
AZ
I have a couple questions:

1) will the FSD be turned off if I'm buying from a private seller
2) this is a 2018 AWD, what is the realistic range
3) have the software updates since 2018 increased performance from the specs you see online from 2018
4) any advice or recommendations when I inspect the vehicle would be appreciated

thanks

1. Not 100% sure but I think it does get turned off?

2. Ask to see a pic of a 100% charge on it. Should be able to get 300 miles driving conservatively but realistically ~20 miles less than EPA minus any degradation which shouldn't be much. My 2019 SR+ is suppose to get 240 miles on 100% but realistically it shows anywhere from 217-226 miles on a 100% so I'd assume the same for other models.

3. Yes, it will have everything if it's on the latest firmware (LR AWD is 0-60 4.2 seconds currently) and you should also be able to purchase the Acceleration Boost in the app afterwards to increase 0-60 by .5 seconds more to make it 0-60 3.7 seconds for $2,000, if it hasn't been done already.

4. Being a 2018 obviously it will be used and have some wear and tear. Also depending on how well the previous owners(s) took care of it. Have you seen pics of the car? How does it look?

Last edited:
1. Not 100% sure but I think it does get turned off?

2. Ask to see a pic of a 100% charge on it. Should be able to get 300 miles driving conservatively but realistically ~20 miles less than EPA minus any degradation which shouldn't be much. My 2019 SR+ is suppose to get 240 miles on 100% but realistically it shows anywhere from 217-226 miles on a 100% so I'd assume the same for other models.

3. Yes, it will have everything if it's on the latest firmware (LR AWD is 0-60 4.2 seconds currently) and you should also be able to purchase the Acceleration Boost in the app afterwards to increase 0-60 by .5 seconds more to make it 0-60 3.7 seconds for $2,000, if it hasn't been done already.

4. Being a 2018 obviously it will be used and have some wear and tear. Also depending on how well the previous owners(s) took care of it. Have you seen pics of the car? How does it look?

Thanks, the car looks really good.

I'm going to be really annoyed if the FSD is turned off, that effectively gives Tesla an advantage against anyone trying to sell used because they can simply turn FSD on and beat other sellers who in spite of paying for the feature are not able to transfer it.

This is a question for knowledgeable/experienced UK members and American members who understand Tesla's approach with UK customers.

I am considering buying a used Tesla privately. However there are two thorny issues on which I do not want to snag my wallet. Firstly, concerning Enhanced Auto Pilot and/or FSD. Will these feature transfer to me if they are already "on" the car I purchase? Secondly, does the outstanding period of the warranties transfer with the car?

These seem like straight forward matters and yet, there does not seem to be a truly authoritative answer out there. Do any UK members have experience of these issues through having acquired a used Tesla privately? The sellers seems to take it for granted that these benefits will go with the car and so price the vehicles accordingly; "Includes £6800 worth of FSD"

One approach, for EAP/FSD would be to seek a car without either and add it later (it's Tuesday so I think that would be possible. But tomorrow......?).
However, the warranty transfer must be clarified. And what about modifications viz the warranty and its transfer. To wit: I see a car which was supplied new with the larger wheel option but is offered for sale with the standard wheels. Could this impact the warranties? Who knows?

Oh yes! If and when these issues are sorted, one can look forward to " Computer says NO!" at the insurance company.

Maybe I should be more of a "Dive in and worry about it later when/ if a problem arrises in the future" sort of a guy.

Thank you in anticipation of your feedback.

I am considering buying a used Tesla privately. However there are two thorny issues on which I do not want to snag my wallet. Firstly, concerning Enhanced Auto Pilot and/or FSD. Will these feature transfer to me if they are already "on" the car I purchase? Secondly, does the outstanding period of the warranties transfer with the car?

There can not be, and unless something changes with Teslas policies, will NEVER be a DEFINITIVE answer to "Does Enhanced Autopilot or FSD transfer to me on the purchase of a used Tesla?" As a blanket statement.

This is because, if tesla ever owned the car At ANY POINT after its original sale, tesla (as the vehicles owner) can and will remove EAP / FSD from the vehicle. Sometimes that removal takes a while for it to be updated by the vehicle for some reason.

The ONLY (repeat, the ONLY) way to ensure that software features like EAP or FSD stay with the car, is to buy the car directly from the first purchaser of the car (the person who bought it directly from tesla). That is the only way you can really ensure that the chain of custody of a particular vehicle has never included tesla, after its first sale.

Either buy a used Tesla directly from the first person to own it, and verify that those features (EAP and or FSD) are on their tesla MVPA, or pay for the car at a price that assumes that those are not present, regardless of what you see on the vehicle.

On the second thing, the balance of the new car warranty (if any) transfers to the new owner in the US. I have no idea if its different in the UK. You might want to ask that in the UK and Ireland specific subforum that exists here on TMC:

Thank you Kindly.
I had addressed my question to UK owners and US owners who understand the way Tesla operate in the UK.
Any information or advice pertaining to the USA could be but not necessarily valid for the UK.
I had not realised that I am on the wrong forum.