Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m looking at a used 2016 model S. The question I have is odd and I just would like to get someone else’s take on it. So it’s a 2016 new body style. All seems perfect but it has the older style base rims on it. My question is did Tesla manufacture the car with the new body and older rims. Truthfully I like them and have no problem with them aesthetically but I’m just looking for signs Car fax and auto check has no accidents reported so I’m not terribly concerned but just tying to do my homework. Thanks in advance for the responses.

Also One more thing. One of the reasons I ask or question is that the owners manual shows the vehicle with the turbine wheels. This may be silly but I thought that picture was supposed to be a representation of the actual vehicle. On my model 3 it’s exact. But again thanks!

2016 and beyond was the start of the slipstream wheels. Before that, it was these that were standard. So maybe the last owner swapped them out. To be honest I think these look better than the slipstreams still.
2013-tesla-model-s-60-brown-006.jpg

Reactions: P85DBeast
Late 2016 base wheels are 19" slipstream wheels, not turbines.
That said, owners swap wheels all of the time for various reasons. Could be the owner got a set of Arachnids or something else and sold his Slipstreams or whatever it came with and then decided that it would make more sense to put a cheap pair of base 19" wheels back on for the sale and sell his Arachnids (or whatever) separate. Maybe they got a newer (or older) car and wanted to put those wheels on it instead. Who knows. Maybe ask the owner?

The point is that this fact in and of itself isn't cause for concern. You're buying a used car though so you should scrutinize everything about it whether the wheel thing checks out or not.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Y’all are right. He swapped them out for the turbines because he didn’t like the slipstreams and wanted a better ride! At some point I’ll buy a pair of turbines and put them back on for summer driving but right Noe these are just fine!

For what it's worth, I bought a used 2013 Model S in 2016. It came with those same base wheels.

Eventually, I bought a set of 19" slipstream wheels. I use them most of the year, but have winter tires mounted on the original base wheels. Twice a year, I change them over. Every time I change them, I stare for a while and debate which set I like more aesthetically. :)