Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking as a used model S owner I would say go for it.

Servicing costs are likely to be negligible by comparison to your current car, running costs in terms of fuel and 'road tax' will also be way lower. Depreciation should be far better too.

Important you check the warranty position as there may be some manufacturer's warranty still current, particularly if the car was sold by Tesla as a used car at some point.

Insurance quotes if you need them tend to be pretty good from here - https://www.directline.com/tesla

Plenty of chargers are available with a government grant towards the cost if you don't already have one.
I was looking at the Tesla wall mount but it looks like it’s still not covered by the grant - if I’ve understood correctly using the Tesla one will save me having to use a lead that comes with the car all of the time at home?

I was looking at the Tesla wall mount but it looks like it’s still not covered by the grant - if I’ve understood correctly using the Tesla one will save me having to use a lead that comes with the car all of the time at home?

If the car has a Type 2 connector (and if it hasn't, it can be converted to accept one) then you can use any Type 2 tethered charge point, there are several to choose from. Any charge point that meets the OLEV requirements for being "smart" is eligible for the grant.

Reactions: Bobby_Dazzler
Its a bit of a rabbit hole. Personally, I would wait for the Y. You have to consider the cost of getting rid of your car now, vs. your savings running a models S and if still getting a Y at the end what hit you will get when parting with the S.

If all this makes sense to you and your comfortable with it then just go for it :)

The Tesla charger isn't eligible for the grant, no.

In case you were not aware, and as Glan says, chargers can be bought either 'tethered' (i.e.with a lead) or untethered (without). Any tethered charger with a type 2 lead will work on your car, without the need to use the Tesla lead (assuming you get a type 2 lead with your car - I didn't).

I disagree about the size differential

I am 1.83m tall, we have an M3 and my 2016 MS!

I find much more room in the driver's seat in the MS, I feel cramped in M3, it is harder to get in and out. For me. Bobby [OP] might be smaller and more nimble, but there is categorically more space inside an MS.

Regards,

Tony

I was in the same boat at one stage. Even to the point of driving around the country test driving a few.. But what I cam to realise is that for the same amount of money I can get a brand new car, with more modern AP and HW, better efficiency, more modern motors/battery etc. That made me lean to buy the M3. Also some other things like I prefer the sleek M3 interior, and cabin size feeling the same as an MS but smaller footprint. I had visions of the MS being bigger inside based on its footprint but found it wasn't by much.

I disagree about the size differential

I am 1.83m tall, we have an M3 and my 2016 MS!

I find much more room in the driver's seat in the MS, I feel cramped in M3, it is harder to get in and out. For me. Bobby [OP] might be smaller and more nimble, but there is categorically more space inside an MS.

Regards,

Tony

I've got 20cm on you and fit in the MS... haven't tried the tinyTesla....

I have found a Model S 100D 2017 Plate for around £48K

The 100D pack is a fantastic battery and at sub £50k its CHEAPER than a new Y. In my eyes the S is still the best looking car Tesla makes, and the hatchback huge for carrying stuff.

You can actually just charge the car via a cheap blue plug commando socket using the charger that comes with the car, it'll cost sub £100 for an electrician to install one and is just as powerful charger as any other.

A few things to factor in for any used Tesla - If its still under warranty its a bonus.

1: How much DC Supercharging has the car done. You are safer with the 100D pack, but even so an abused pack that has been Supercharged all its life is one to avoid. You can get an OBD tool that will report how much DC charging the pack has done.

49377672822_3a6fc9c8c1_c.jpg

2: Has the door handles been replaced under warranty, its not an expensive fix but its a matter of when not if on 2017 cars.

3: Has the car got FSD paid for, if so buy it NOW!! The cost to upgrade to FSD is going up to silly figures and in my view its one bit of tech which pushes Tesla way beyond other brands.

4: Budget £2.3K for the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, I just had this done on my 2017 X and it really is like having a new car but without having to pay £30K+ to trade/px the old one.

Overall I would say go with the S, its a beautiful car, its a decent price, and the 100D battery pack is the daddy. The S is one of the very few EVs I think can be compared to the likes of the E class, even the pre-facelift cars just look right. If Tesla could guarantee they will support future battery tech for these older cars I would get one very happily to complement our X, but at present they are been rather sheepish about pack replacments even in warranty . At sub £50K its already starting to be tempting :).

36711383451_08dc8486c3_c.jpg

49723666727_46a850565d_c.jpg

Last edited:
You can actually just charge the car via a cheap blue plug commando socket using the charger that comes with the car, it'll cost sub £100 for an electrician to install one and is just as powerful charger as any other.

As @VanillaAir_UK says, any outdoor outlet that complies with the regs is going to cost more than £100, as the cheapest Type B RCD I've been able to find costs £114. I did take the time to try and put together some rough prices for various charge point options, including using a commando outlet, in this thread: Basic charge point costs and those prices might give an indication of the likely cost. The basic materials cost for a 32 A commando outlet installation, assuming a 10m cable run from the main consumer unit, a TN-C-S/PME incoming supply to the property, and excluding labour, works out at about £310.

Any outlet that's to be used for EV charging must comply with the regs, anywhere in the UK, although there is variation across the countries within the UK as to what needs to be notified under Building Regulations and what doesn't. The regs are worded such that any outlet installation that is to be used for electric vehicle charging* must be installed with DC tolerant residual current protection and may also need to be fitted with open PEN protection, if the supply has a TN-C-S/PME earthing system. The installation needs to be undertaken by a competent person, and in accordance with BS7671:2018, mainly Section 722. It's also advisable if using a commando outlet to make sure that it is an interlocked one, so the plug cannot be removed without first turning off the isolating switch.

Failure to do this is, in England and Wales, a criminal offence, as this is notifiable work under Part P of the Building Regulations. The penalty for failure to comply is up to two years imprisonment or an unlimited fine. I'm not familiar with the legal stuff that may apply in Scotland or Northern Ireland, but I do know that Scottish Building Regulations don't yet have an equivalent to Part P.

* The regulations don't apply retrospectively, so if an outlet is already installed then it doesn't have to comply with the current regulations. However, given the higher electric shock risk that a potentially live conductive car body presents, it would make sense to ensure that any outlet that's regularly used for charging does comply with the current regulations. Non-compliance may well be picked up during a periodic inspection (EICR), and once noted on an EICR report as something that should be corrected, it's possible that failure to take action, that results in injury or death to a third party, could have more serious consequences for the homeowner.

The 100D pack is a fantastic battery and at sub £50k its CHEAPER than a new Y. In my eyes the S is still the best looking car Tesla makes, and the hatchback huge for carrying stuff.

A few things to factor in for any used Tesla - If its still under warranty its a bonus.

1: How much DC Supercharging has the car done. You are safer with the 100D pack, but even so an abused pack that has been Supercharged all its life is one to avoid. You can get an OBD tool that will report how much DC charging the pack has done.

49377672822_3a6fc9c8c1_c.jpg

2: Has the door handles been replaced under warranty, its not an expensive fix but its a matter of when not if on 2017 cars.

3: Has the car got FSD paid for, if so buy it NOW!! The cost to upgrade to FSD is going up to silly figures and in my view its one bit of tech which pushes Tesla way beyond other brands.

4: Budget £2.3K for the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, I just had this done on my 2017 X and it really is like having a new car but without having to pay £30K+ to trade/px the old one.

Overall I would say go with the S, its a beautiful car, its a decent price, and the 100D battery pack is the daddy. The S is one of the very few EVs I think can be compared to the likes of the E class, even the pre-facelift cars just look right. If Tesla could guarantee they will support future battery tech for these older cars I would get one very happily to complement our X, but at present they are been rather sheepish about pack replacments even in warranty . At sub £50K its already starting to be tempting :).

36711383451_08dc8486c3_c.jpg

49723666727_46a850565d_c.jpg

It’s looking quite tricky to get PCP finance on a used MS at present - I’m sure someone will offer it but the finance companies seem a little nervous about what is coming with lower prices which could hit residual values

it looks like I might have to keep my paid off Lexus for a bit longer and pocket the monthly saving.

I think a new Model Y on a PCP will be the way forward when they finally start to build in Berlin.

Reactions: Js1977