Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Tesla from Tesla online

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I intend to be buying a used very low mileage (<10k) 2023 Y Long Range very soon. I've been combing through the Tesla site to see what details are provided for each used potential vehicle, and which details are not provided. It's a big jump for me to buy a used car online, site unseen, with fingers crossed and waiting for delivery and the big reveal. A couple of questions I would love to hear thoughts on:

How would I know if the car was used by Tesla as a Demo or not?
I want a car with Hardware 4. How can I confirm before purchasing online?
Is there a way to determine battery health before ordering or at delivery walk around?
Worst case scenario...once a used car is ordered and delivered what recourse do I have if I'm unsatisfied with the condition?
Any other tips to have a pleasant experience when buying used online from Tesla?

Thanks in advance for your help with this.

The demo cars say Demo car in the first line of Vehicle Details. For everything else you would need to have the car infront of you. Maybe a sales rep can check on some of these details for you. Best tip I can give you is to use this site to filter for all used inventory in USA. Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:
The demo cars say Demo car in the first line of Vehicle Details. For everything else you would need to have the car infront of you. Maybe a sales rep can check on some of these details for you. Best tip I can give you is to use this site to filter for all used inventory in USA. Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks!

Reactions: dandiggz
Demo cars have varied histories: some are loaner cars, some are for employee training, and some are used for test drives.It's impossible to know a demo car's exact history, but the warranty is more important.
Ensure the car has Hardware 4.0 and that it's stated in the description. They likely won't provide a battery health report.There might be a short return window if you're dissatisfied. Ask the sales advisor directly to confirm any questions you have.

Demo cars have varied histories: some are loaner cars, some are for employee training, and some are used for test drives.It's impossible to know a demo car's exact history, but the warranty is more important.
Ensure the car has Hardware 4.0 and that it's stated in the description. They likely won't provide a battery health report.There might be a short return window if you're dissatisfied. Ask the sales advisor directly to confirm any questions you have.
How can you check for Hardware 4 for a used car online?

Anyone else have any helpful insights to share? Thanks!

With this mileage there should not be any issues with the car. The warranty is still there.

Why do you buy used? It is not possible to check much with used MY unless you have access to its telematics. HW4, I believe, had a specific cut-off date during production. Look at its listing in detail.

It is a ~1 year old car. With the constant changes going into newer models, I'd look into buying new anyway.
I had picked up two MYs 6 months apart. Might be placebo, but the newer one seems a bit better built. Nothing dramatic.

Also, now we have more colors to choose from. Let us know why you have gone used route.