Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Tesla, need some advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about buying a used model s right now that they are giving free super charging, but I have some concerns that I cant really address by looking at the website.

I want free super charging, but I am willing to sacrifice it to get a better Tesla, and by better I mean capable of doing full self driving in the future, I heard these things will eventually taxi themselves making money for the owner, I would like that feature when available.

I read that you should probably have the 2.5 or 3.0 cameras? Not sure if that's right, but how would I know if it has them? Is there a way to tell?

I also read that I should get mcu 2 instead of 1, is that the main board or something? How could I tell if the car has it?

I borrowed the model 3 for a day and really liked it, but love the look of the model s. The model 3 kinda looks like a frog with thr hatchback of an old Honda civic, where the s looks nice and elegant, are there any other advantages to the s, it's a lot more expensive for the looks.

Typically you can tell by the date of manufacture.
  • October 2014 - Autopilot HW1
  • October 2016 - Autopilot HW2.0
  • August 2017 - Autopilot HW2.5
  • April 2019 - FSD computer (HW3.0)
  • March 2018 - MCU2
Welcome to TMC!

Welcome to the board and glad you are excited about Tesla's - they really are a innovative and game changing company. With that said, sometimes game changers and innovation can be rocky. Elon has vision, which he talks about, but I would not bank on making money from a self driving taxi too soon. I also would not base any decision on free supercharging. It's nice, and certainly a perk that can keep money in your pocket, but in the grand scheme of things, other things like range and autopilot are gonna be, at least to me, the critical components of a deal.

i'd spend a lot of time on https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/index.php - look through the archived listing and sort by things like AP version to see what models have sold for and what options they have etc.

This forum has tons of info on it, and searching will get you familiar with the resources here, like Model S options by year - a running history

Tesla's aren't cheap, so doing a lot of home work up front can make your money go farther and get a car you will be happy with for years

As for Model S vs. Model 3. It's two completely different cars. Test drive both of them and you will see which one is for you and whether the difference is worth the premium price.

Personally, I like bigger cars. So the Model S feels like a much better choice for me. More luxurious, quieter, smoother ride, more powerful, faster acceleration. Also, it is a more practical choice for out of state travel with its enormous cargo capacity, the standard All Wheel Drive, the Air Suspension with adjustable clearance, and of course the free Supercharging. I love the auto-presenting door handles and the power liftgate of the Model S. Really enjoy the HEPA air filtration system. Even though the minimalist design of the Model 3 is growing on me, I still much prefer the instrument cluster in the Model S and the more traditional controls.

Having said that, the Model 3 has its own advantages: it’s easier to maneuver on city streets, easier to park, has better visibility, some tiny interior details are an improvement over the Model S, like better phone charger, lighted mirrors, hooks for clothing, door pockets, etc. For dollars spent Model 3 arguably offers a better value. The Autopilot functionality is pretty much identical on both cars. In the end, I think it all comes down to personal preference, and budget.

You do need a minimum of HW2.0 Autopilot to get to full self driving in the future.

Last edited: