Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying and Reselling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has or is anyone buying Model Y's and reselling them? I have some some outrageous prices that used car dealers are paying 5-10k over cost for a Model Y. Curious if anyone has been able to buy and resell a few Model Y's successfully.
After paying taxes and registration fees, that $5-10K is more like $500-$1000.

Not worth the effort or the hassle.

Reactions: dhrivnak and KJD
After paying taxes and registration fees, that $5-10K is more like $500-$1000.

Not worth the effort or the hassle.
I'm looking at the kbb trade in prices for a base Model 3 SR+ and including all of my state's taxes, tags, etc I could easily net $2900 by taking delivery and imediately selling. Is there any fine print somewhere disallowing such a maneuver?

I'm looking at the kbb trade in prices for a base Model 3 SR+ and including all of my state's taxes, tags, etc I could easily net $2900 by taking delivery and imediately selling. Is there any fine print somewhere disallowing such a maneuver?
Nevermind, there it is in the order agreement.

No Resellers; Disconnuaon; Cancellaon. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith.

Nevermind, there it is in the order agreement.

No Resellers; Disconnuaon; Cancellaon. Tesla and its affiliates sell cars directly to end-consumers, and we may unilaterally cancel any order that we believe has been made with a view toward resale of the Vehicle or that has otherwise been made in bad faith.
I mean…if you’re buying it with the express intent of reselling, Tesla’s feelings will be hurt.

If you buy the car, drive it for 10 miles, and decide it’s not for you, that is totally fine.

So unless they are able to thought-Police you, do whatever you want.

I mean…if you’re buying it with the express intent of reselling, Tesla’s feelings will be hurt.

If you buy the car, drive it for 10 miles, and decide it’s not for you, that is totally fine.

So unless they are able to thought-Police you, do whatever you want.
If I took delivery, sold it right away, and ordered another it would show bad faith on my part. I'll pass. Not worth it.

If I took delivery, sold it right away, and ordered another it would show bad faith on my part. I'll pass. Not worth it.
Why? People don’t buy multiple Teslas?

Again, do what you want. Tesla doesn’t care as long as they are selling vehicles. Personally, I think it’s not a great idea because of the time and effort involved but if you’re convinced it’s an easy way to make money, what Tesla thinks should be the last thing on your mind.

I’m curious if anyone has done this as well. I was lucky enough to have bought an inventory car but still have my original reservation. With the way the market is I can probably sell this car and with taxes registration etc I’d still make at least a 2k profit. My original reservation has the specs I want and at a lower price because I ordered before the price increase so I am considering taking it. If not I’ll just try to sell the reservation for $150, just don’t want to be out of $100 on my reservation fee.

Why? People don’t buy multiple Teslas?

Again, do what you want. Tesla doesn’t care as long as they are selling vehicles. Personally, I think it’s not a great idea because of the time and effort involved but if you’re convinced it’s an easy way to make money, what Tesla thinks should be the last thing on your mind.
To me, personally, being able to get away with it isn't the same as being the right thing to do. The order agreement is... Well, an agreement. I'll honor it in good faith.

To me, personally, being able to get away with it isn't the same as being the right thing to do. The order agreement is... Well, an agreement. I'll honor it in good faith.
Cause we all know how honest Tesla is :rolleyes:

The reality is ordering a Tesla that will be delivered 6-8 months from now with the thought to re-sell is a gamble. No one knows what used car values, specifically Tesla's will be that far from now.

Yeah, but mine is due in less than 2 weeks.
Well if you want to go through the hassle of getting approved for the loan, then selling it for $500-$1000 profit, go for it. Just remember once you take delivery the car is registered so it's a used car. So you'll have to find someone willing to pay what you want. Only you can decide if it's worth the trouble.

So why were you trying to scam other businesses, and ultimately consumers, out of $$$ until Tesla “told” you it wasn’t okay.

Weird set of morals there.

I see the same thing with the new C8 Corvette. Dealers are rebuying slightly used early purchases cars and marking them up $15,000 over list prices of new.

Simple supply and demand. People will always pay more for nice things that are hard to get.

There's a guy who honestly bought a M3 SR in the Florida section as a filler car while he waited for his Model Y and that appreciated $4K in under a month. I (also in FL) on the other hand bought an ID.4 while waiting for my Model Y and that will cost me $4K to unload I suspect.... shoulda bought a Tesla :)

Yes you can buy and sell.. it's risky because who knows about prices in a few weeks... if suddenly the EV bill passes and in 2022 all Tesla's will be eligible for a $7500 discount then prices will drop soon.

To add to everyone's point here - after paying taxes and fees, it really isn't worth it.
I see (I'm in Dallas) local ads where it is selling for ~$3k-$5k above MSRP, but many of these sellers did tint or PPF + accessories. Factoring in the taxes, they are barely breaking even, and to go through that trouble (handling questions, taking test drives) this is not a good use of your time.
THAT SAID, if you were looking to get a "filler" car for a temporary ride, this could be a viable approach.

Has anyone heard of Tesla blacklisting them?

Just saw something on FB where one guy had all his orders cancelled because Tesla accused him of being a reseller - but unsure if it true or not. The post was like this:

"Has anyone gotten this notice from Tesla? I’ve been driving Tesla’s since 2019. Started with a 2019 model 3 dual motor, then sold that and got a standard range model Y, had to sell it to qualify for a house. Then bought a performance model 3, which I still currently have and had an order for a performance Y that I was scheduled to take delivery toward the end of December. I also placed a order for a model X Plaid as I figured it’s far out and the price might go up, so I’ll just order it now. So I got this email today…

Hello Richard, Our loss prevention team has dug into your account and vin activity and has labeled you as a reseller. This is due to your previous history of selling vehicles with low or little milage and the number of orders (previous and current). Because of this, we are not going to be able to delivery any vehicle to you. All current orders will be canceled and the VIN's you are tied to will be released immediately. This decision is final and cannot be reversed. "

I can see Tesla blacklisting somebody if they bought 5 cars in a month and sold them all within weeks.

Just saw something on FB where one guy had all his orders cancelled because Tesla accused him of being a reseller - but unsure if it true or not. The post was like this:

"Has anyone gotten this notice from Tesla? I’ve been driving Tesla’s since 2019. Started with a 2019 model 3 dual motor, then sold that and got a standard range model Y, had to sell it to qualify for a house. Then bought a performance model 3, which I still currently have and had an order for a performance Y that I was scheduled to take delivery toward the end of December. I also placed a order for a model X Plaid as I figured it’s far out and the price might go up, so I’ll just order it now. So I got this email today…

Hello Richard, Our loss prevention team has dug into your account and vin activity and has labeled you as a reseller. This is due to your previous history of selling vehicles with low or little milage and the number of orders (previous and current). Because of this, we are not going to be able to delivery any vehicle to you. All current orders will be canceled and the VIN's you are tied to will be released immediately. This decision is final and cannot be reversed. "

I can see Tesla blacklisting somebody if they bought 5 cars in a month and sold them all within weeks.

I dont do facebook, but I would bet that the person you are replying to is also that same person on Facebook, as that user also posted here on TMC in the tesla inc section asking the same question, after saying they were quoted that same text.

Frankly, I have no idea what @Rishabh0428 is after, other than an attempted social media smear campaign. They straight out said here that they run a turo business, and sell those cars, and "buy a lot of them" so in effect they are resellers, which is specifically prohibited in teslas MVPA.

If someone sells a couple of cars, tesla wont likely notice. "I run a turo business, buy a lot of teslas, then sell them to my customers" = reseller, no matter how one looks at it.

Reactions: voxel