Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying CPO P85 - Is this a reasonable deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think AP1 provides a lot. The autosteering and adaptive cruise control is very nice on trips. I have the AP2 hardware but the AP1 is very nice as well. The AP1 also reads speed limit signs. When creeping along in bumper to bumper traffic in consruction areas, the car automatically creeps along automatically accelerating, braking, and steering.

The AP system is most useful on limited access highways such as the interstate system. It can be used experimentally on other smaller roads but the interstates are where the system shines. I'd look hard at it before buying a Tesla that lacks it.

Best,
David

Thanks David. I really want the 4yr/5-K warranty CPO (not the 2yr one). And the problem is that the cheapest AP1 equipped P85 is about 16K more expensive, ~$68K. Also the cheapest AP1 equipped CPO vehicle of any kind is a S60 for $62K. Given this I figured doing without AP1 was better since I get a P85. Your comments have created a doubt in my mind about going without the AP1 :)

2013 P85 with 33K miles. Pano roof, 21" turbine wheels and smart air suspension.

$53k + shipping. No AP

Was worried about no AP but figure AP1 doesn't provide that much anyway.

Thoughts?

I think the price is actually pretty solid. AP1 certainly does provide quite a bit though, I wouldn't write it off. Keep looking, and you'll see an AP1 85 come up minus the Performance, Pano, Suspension, and 21"s for the same price. Just ask yourself, would you rather have AP1, or the Performance, Wheels, and Suspension? Tough call, I waffled for ever on the same question. I really think that AP1 will be huge for resale as well down the road. People will always want AP (even version 1) and non-AP cars won't sell as easily. That's my reasoning anyway.

Thanks for your thoughts gooch, that is what I was worried about, resale, I thought I am paying about 10k less for a P85 without AP1 so that covers some of the lost value at resale (didn't think of going for a 85). BTW, I put down a deposit. Need to think if I want to lose that one grand and wait. Tough call.

Thanks for your thoughts gooch, that is what I was worried about, resale, I thought I am paying about 10k less for a P85 without AP1 so that covers some of the lost value at resale (didn't think of going for a 85). BTW, I put down a deposit. Need to think if I want to lose that one grand and wait. Tough call.

Yeah, good luck with whatever decision you make. Bear in mind, the CPO cars listed currently are the worst prices that I have seen in 6 weeks. There is very little supply, so anything remotely good gets snatched up immediately. Do you have a good CPO adviser? Some of the best deals never even hit the CPO listings or ev-cpo. I'll add just one more price point, not sure if it will help your decision or not. I have a deposit down on a late 2014 S60 with AP1. The car has zero options (AP1 was my only "must have"). I has 24,000 miles w/ the 4-year 50K. Price was $47,200.

I sacrificed a ton to get AP1. A 60 is not my first choice, but I came in under my hard $50K budget, so it was the right car for me in the end. My CPO advisor found this for me before it was listed anywhere publicly. PM me if you would like me to pass on her info.

My thoughts: after having driven a P85 without AP and then the same car with AP1 activated, I wouldn't consider buying a new car that didn't have adaptive cruise control. There are two cases where it clearly shines:

1. Stop-and-go traffic. If I'm having to constantly move my foot from accelerator to brake and back again, my lower leg starts to cramp up. That's a problem of the past now.

2. Long-distance highway driving. This used to be stressful since I'd inevitably come up on a slower-moving vehicle and have to brake. Now the car anticipates this and does it for me.

@thegooch49 makes a good point: not having AP makes the car much less desirable when you go to resell it. Obviously, that's part of the reason why the price for non-AP cars is lower.

Reactions: JPUConn
Thanks gooch and cloud. I researched the archived prices, this one is one of the cheapest P85 without AP1 ever sold. Although the shipping on this is more expensive because of its location, it still is in the top10-20 cheapest P85s ever sold CPO. But now hearing your comments I am having serious doubts :-(

Gooch the advisor told me they are not getting many trade-ins/CPOs in so inventory is expected to be pretty low.

Maybe I am trying to rationalize getting this one but 1. The old Blue Metallic is my absolute fave color 2. I had to have grey 21 turbine wheels and 3. I had to have a P85. So too many must haves to find a AP1 at this price. Probably far and few between. Then I rationalize that I won't use the adaptive cruise control even if I had it (this I'm 99.9% sure about). :) :) :) So the only concern is resale value.

Maybe I am trying to rationalize getting this one but 1. The old Blue Metallic is my absolute fave color 2. I had to have grey 21 turbine wheels and 3. I had to have a P85. So too many must haves to find a AP1 at this price. Probably far and few between. Then I rationalize that I won't use the adaptive cruise control even if I had it (this I'm 99.9% sure about). :) :) :) So the only concern is resale value.

It sounds like you have a winner then. You got all of your 'must haves', AP just didn't make the cut. Enjoy the car!

Reactions: b team
Thanks gooch! I think I'm going overboard on the 21 grey wheels :) but that Blue, no idea why Tesla got rid of it. I love it. Is there a lot of difference between P85 and 85 other than the 0-60 time? I was thinking Performance models may have better resale.

I thought similar when I purchased my CPO 2013 S85 last June. While I loved the classic Model S, I sold it a year later for a 70D with AP1 and won’t buy another car that doesn’t have AP.

Additional differences an early 2013 didn’t have that the 2015 does: power folding mirror, parking sensors, next gen comfortable seats, center console, alcantara headliner, individual tpms readout, and AP so TACC, auto steer, auto emergency braking, and summon. The above were well worth the upgrade for me.

In my opinion the artificial price floor will remain for AP cars while the price floor on non AP cars is continuing to drop.

$10k less is what, at least 20% savings? It’s one thing for someone to say they’d go AP1 in a vacuum versus at a 20% premium. I wouldn’t obsess over resale. The depreciation curve is pretty much set for this vintage and as long as you have a level headed expectation of value, you’ll be fine.

One question to ask is how much time you plan to spend in the car. If you commute in traffic and it's a significant chunk of your day, then stretching for the extra $10K is going to be worth it in the long term; not just in resale value, but in reduction of stress.

On the other hand, if the lower entry cost of the non-AP P85 saves you financial stress, and the car ticks all your checkboxes, I doubt you'll be unhappy with it. :)

Thecloud, I don't have a highway worktime commute (never). I do use highway on weekends only. No financial stress, more interested in a good deal. I could buy a brand new Tesla too but can't justify spending 70, 80,100K on a car. Not that 60K is not a lot for a car but more palatable to me :) . This is getting really tough because the people that have driven an AP1 car say they can never imagine doing without one.