Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying CPO P85 - Is this a reasonable deal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lifeinabox, that was my thought. I was planning on driving for 2, maybe 3 years and then selling it with 1 year and 20K miles warranty left . I hope I get $25-30k for it at resale. Don't know if that is realistic.
I think that's a realistic number. I am a little surprised it's one of the cheapest deals historically just based on my possible faulty memory. I recall '13s being below $50k but sounds like you've done your homework.

That price is about what I received in trade for my 2014 P85 in July. It had very similar mileage and a solid set of options. I miss the absurdity of the rear wheel drive. Unless you have a lot of driving in stop and go traffic I think you have a winner. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I struggled with the decision to go CPO Model S and wait a year for Performance Model 3.

I did pull the trigger on a "unicorn", a Green S85 w/AP1. (Unicorn because the color was discontinued less than a month after AP1 HW rollout).

In my searches, it seemed that for a $3750 option (back when it was bundled in the Tech Package), adds a lot to the price of a Model S in the CPO market. Two similar Model S's side-by-side online, and you'll pay almost $10K more for the one with AP1.

I got lucky and pounced on the 1st one I could find that checked all my boxes for a CPO S: >60kWh battery, AP1....and that was it, really. Dual Motors would have been nice, but that price point was even higher.

As others have suggested, cruise ev-cpo regularly. I found mine by searching again 3 hours after a prior search. The inventory is that much in flux these days.

Good luck!

Bought a CPO P85 in May 2015 w/50K miles for $68K. Been a great car and never plan to sell it. it's a visceral raw feeling compared to the more tightly wound Dual motors and AP enabled systems. I kinda like being able to spin the tires and drift if needed with a RWD car. Also the frunk space is so large, it invites a criminal enterprise.

I don't regret buying a CPO P85, and don't really miss all those new features until I get into our Signature X. Totally different experience, but both are just as fun for slightly different reasons.

Thanks much to all for all the input!! I'm taking another look at the CPO-Does having AP1 HW automatically give all those features or does the car have to have "Convenience features" option to get those?
It has to have "Convenience features" to get TACC and Autosteer. Without that, you only get "Safety features" including front collision detection, lane drift warning, and one or two others I'm forgetting at the moment.

• Informative
Reactions: phaduman
I think the one I have deposit on is the best deal right now. Sure there may be better deals coming later but I decided that if I am getting non-dual motor, I am not willing to go to a S85, it has to be a P85. If not P85, then I would look for a 75D and pay 20K more.

The cheapest AP1 vehicle right now is a S85 for 64K (10K more than mine) and the cheapest AP1 P85 is 67K (13K more than mine). I feel like 10k-13K discount now is worth more (NPV) than a potential 10K lower price at resale for no AP1. I think I may end up settling for this one at 54K. Sucks that I am being so indecisive, usually never this way :-(

I spent a long time pondering the same thing you are right now. I was able to get a P85 fairly loaded for 50k and the closest with AP1 was 18k more. I remembered what a very smart Mercedes dealer told me when I was shopping for an AMG car that had every one of my "must haves" except for keyless go. He asked me if I had it in any of my cars at the time. I said "no"...he said "then you won't miss it". I LOVE my P85 and have never driven an AP car, so I don't miss it. Get your P85, love it and get AP on the next one.

After combing CPOs up and down looking....if Tesla takes a car in w/AP1 hardware, but no software enabled, I'm pretty sure they're enabling it on their end for resale.

It costs them nothing, and they can immediately mark the car up $10K.

If you find any level of AP-capable Tesla through Tesla, they'll likely have enabled it.

Shipped Price coming in at 56.6K I am going to go for it. Nothing close to that available right now. Also talked to Service Advisor they don't have anything else either.

Good luck, I personally would wait (as a P85 2013 owner) for a good deal on a 2014 or newer AP car. You're going to have issues out of warrant in that build year. AP1 is pretty cool and it does help on the commute. I think 56k is too high as well... all just opinion however.

Demundus, i hear you on the price - historically there have been better P85 prices but all EXCEPT one were without AP1. There was only one AP1 P85 that sold under 60K + shipping that I see in history.
Regarding build, checked history with Service Advisor and this one didn't even require a Drive unit replacement, very few replacements, all minor items. 4.5 years left on Battery warranty and 4 years bumper-to-bumper.

Demundus, i hear you on the price - historically there have been better P85 prices but all EXCEPT one were without AP1. There was only one AP1 P85 that sold under 60K + shipping that I see in history.
Regarding build, checked history with Service Advisor and this one didn't even require a Drive unit replacement, very few replacements, all minor items. 4.5 years left on Battery warranty and 4 years bumper-to-bumper.

Just because it hasnt yet doesnt mean it wont. I had 3 DU replacements. But either way good luck, its still a beast car.