Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Model Y as suprise gift for wife. Easy to transfer to her name?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

2101Guy

Breaker of Ignore Buttons
Jan 6, 2020
USA
Hi All
Considering ordering a new Y online this weekend, as a suprise end of year/beginning of year gift for the wife. My question: Dont want her alerted, so planning to do the ordering in my name upfront/paying for it myself, but on pickup, I want everything to be in her name. The app, the title, etc. I'll handle all payment in my name.

Anyone done this before, and is it easy to do? I've heard nightmares about transferring from one person to another and length of time it takes.

Thanks

Hi All
Considering ordering a new Y online this weekend, as a suprise end of year/beginning of year gift for the wife. My question: Dont want her alerted, so planning to do the ordering in my name upfront/paying for it myself, but on pickup, I want everything to be in her name. The app, the title, etc. I'll handle all payment in my name.

Anyone done this before, and is it easy to do? I've heard nightmares about transferring from one person to another and length of time it takes.

Thanks
Your location is US but if you're in NJ, you can't transfer ownership for 3 years (?) and get the 5K rebate

The transfer from Tesla's side is pretty easy, she would just need to create a Tesla account on the website and the transfer literally takes 5 minutes to switch from your account to hers.

The title work however depends on how long the wait times are in your State/City

Unless your planning on picking it up without her knowledge and having it sitting in the driveway christmas morning with her name on it, I'd just put her as a co-owner and you are both on the title. Or just list yourself. If she's your wife I don't see that it would odd for it to be "her" car even if she isn't on the title. And insurance wouldn't be an issue since you'd want to list both of as drivers anyway right?

Reactions: msm859
Hi All
Considering ordering a new Y online this weekend, as a surprise end of year/beginning of year gift for the wife.
My question: Don't want her alerted, so planning to do the ordering in my name upfront/paying for it myself,
but on pickup, I want everything to be in her name. The app, the title, etc. I'll handle all payment in my name.

Anyone done this before, and is it easy to do? I've heard nightmares
about transferring from one person to another and length of time it takes.
Thanks
Look very sweet... but may be let her choose the color (body and interior). Also let her have a road test.
She might prefer a smaller car easier to park like a MiNi or a Kona..., if primary usage is city driving.
However, if she plans to use for outdoor activities, like to carry bikes... or weekend trips, the Model Y is certainly the best EV choice.

About car insurance, if you may plan to drive it, put her name as primary driver
but add also your name as secondary driver. I recently get hit by a car and the
insurance wanted to decline the driver who was driving his wife car, while she
was a passenger, and use my uninsured driver to cover the repairs and I had
to use a lawyer to solve the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArizonaJon
@Hoowzer @Watts_Up we don't know all of @2101Guy's situation here. We can make assumptions, but maybe they've already been for a test drive and he knows that she loves the car and wants it in <insert her favorite* color* here> and they have plenty of spare $. Hard to say based on what we know so far.

* as a Canadian, I had to force myself to not type these as "favourite" and "colour". Please consider this a thanksgiving gift for y'all. Cheers!

Reactions: msm859 and Watts_Up
Hi All

Thanks

I hope my wife doesn't see this thread....

I did exactly this. She signed for the car and I used my email account. You can put everything in her name. Tesla sends her everything now and it's hers on the title, etc. She resisted at first, but was fully onboard after about five minutes and now loves the car just as much, if not more, than anything she's owned.

Great gesture, well done, good luck!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung