Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying one that was made in the tent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does that say about the "other lines", doesn't give a positive impression at all, Lol.

Unfortunately I have friends with 2017 and 2018 Model S and Model X with a lot more quality issues than my 2014 and 2016 cars. My July 2018 Model 3 "tent" car has been pretty much perfect. Zero service required besides the tiny paint chip and curbed wheel at delivery. Just anecdote though.

I know there is inventory sitting in lots that were made in the rush during November and December. I hear many were made in a tent out in the parking lot. Would you buy one of these or wait until you can get your hands on a 2019 build?

My concern is quality.

Given many are going to Europe right now, I’m not sure when that will be.

They are still building them in a tent now. I don't think it really effects build quality in any way. The real issue is the paint quality and I believe all painting is done in the same paint area for both lines (for the factory and the tent).

• Disagree
Reactions: Buggle and MP3Mike
I know there is inventory sitting in lots that were made in the rush during November and December. I hear many were made in a tent out in the parking lot. Would you buy one of these or wait until you can get your hands on a 2019 build?

My concern is quality.

Given many are going to Europe right now, I’m not sure when that will be.

My car was built in a tent. It's fine, no quality issues.