Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying used 2020 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there, I currently drive 2021 Model 3 ( June 2021 build, so it has the upgraded centre console, double pane windows, heated steering wheel, etc), but need more cargo space with the baby.

I started looking at some used Model Y's and came across on used 2020 Model Y LR which had good price point.

Now, this model Y is June 2020 build, so it appears somewhat of a early production run. I looked at some Youtube videos who commented on earlier build Model Y's have quality issue so a bit worried.

Also, is there anything I need to check or be mindful when buying used Tesla? The car has 26000 miles already but is it still beneficial for me to baby the battery by charging it to 80 percent to prevent degradation or is the damage done already? How useful is these extra features on 2021 Model 3 that I have such as centre console? Is the old one still good? Also is retrofit possible for any of these features?

Now if 2020 model Y is not recommended at all,,, should I just go for 2021 Model Y SR instead or is having longer range still worth it for 2020 Model Y LR even for potential quality issues or older features?

Finally, I also saw that 2020 Model Y LR has slightly shorter range then 2021 Model Y LR.. Would this be deal breaker for some people or not cuz the difference is so small?

Thanks

I have a June 2020 delivered LRMY. The 2020 Model Y fully meets needs, expectations. After more than 2 years of ownership (9k miles) there have been no issues requiring Tesla service except for an AC compressor oil leak that was fixed under warranty during the first month of ownership.

Recently the Tesla Model Y has been estimating greater range at 100% state of charge (281 miles) than before (273 miles) and I have no idea why. I have only used a Supercharger a handful of times when on a trip. I charge 4X per week and the battery is usually between 60% and 90% state of charge.

I prefer the older console that is in the 2020 Model Y to the refreshed console. I have no issue using the single USB-A data port located behind the wireless charging pad and not inside the glovebox as with the refreshed design) with an unpowered USB hub and a MobileMate reader with 128GB Samsung PRO Endurance microSD card and a basic thumb drive for music both connected to the hub.

The tow hitch was not released when I purchased my 2020 Model Y. I believe the Tesla tow hitch could be installed or a 3rd party hitch could be installed.

The vehicle information shows that the charging system can support CCS.

No heated steering wheel, no laminated front door glass. Older windshield washer jets don't really spray washer fluid on the windshield, more like place some wiper fluid on the wiper blades.

The Intel Atom processor in the 2020 Model Y is not as quick as the AMD Ryzen processor (I am not a gamer, don't care.)

Older style tail lights and does not have the projector beam head lights (even now, only the Performance Model Y has these in the US.)

The Tesla EPA stated range originally stated to be 316 miles, later restated to be 326 miles and now 330 miles does not matter, it is never realized in real world driving. Many 70 MPH road tests have shown that in mild temperatures, dry roads, minimal wind and reasonably flat terrain the Tesla Long Range Model Y can be driven ~280 miles.

Reactions: IndyGopher
A couple of things to consider in favor of keeping the 2020:

1. The windshield washer sprayers are adjustable. A needle in the hole can be used to move them to spray wherever you want.
2. As for the degradation, read: Reducing degradation stress - a tale of three batteries.
3. I suspect the atom processor will non-trivially increase consumption while "idling," e.g. using sentry.
4. The new car won't have passenger lumbar.
5. For now (matrix not enabled), the matrix lights are a bit brighter, but the difference isn't that big. (I have matrix in my M3, but not my MY). The older MY headlights are excellent too.
6. Insurance on a 2022 will cost more than your 2020.

Last edited:
My July 2020 build Model Y has been a fabulous vehicle, also very efficient. My Lifetime after 21K miles is 264 wh/mi and that’s as a DD in a FOUR SEASON climate and after over 10K miles of long road trips. I’ve had NO significant issues once my SC addressed the initial QC bugs I found at delivery. Hell even my tires are wearing perfectly, just rotated and the tech recorded all four tires at 6/32nds. When I do get my new PMY and sell mine someone is going to get a great vehicle with over $5K of accessories, PPF, Performance Boost, GPS HomeLink, add PWS and replaced the side repeater cameras (out of pocket).

But the market is screwy right now, my best offer from BUYCARSUSA.COM was for $64K. Hell even Tesla’s offer of $57K - $61K is a better deal due to the tax savings. So I’ll probably trade it back to Tesla., I can’t imagine what they will list it for and eventually get for it.

Good luck.