Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at getting a used Model S in the near future. But Im only looking for ones with the rear facing seats.

I live on Vancouver Island (BC). So Vancouver used car lots are the closest places I can find them. But selection seems better back east (both on Tesla.com and other dealerships)

Has anyone bought a model S from the other side of the country? What did it cost to ship the car? Any dealers you recommend?

I figure the best thing is find a dealer who has good access to inventory as it comes up so they can match to what I'm looking for. But not sure who I should work with.

Does Tesla ship CPO cars across country? Is there a used sales person at Tesla Canada I can give my list of requirements to and have them search?

I'm looking at getting a used Model S in the near future. But Im only looking for ones with the rear facing seats.

I live on Vancouver Island (BC). So Vancouver used car lots are the closest places I can find them. But selection seems better back east (both on Tesla.com and other dealerships)

Has anyone bought a model S from the other side of the country? What did it cost to ship the car? Any dealers you recommend?

I figure the best thing is find a dealer who has good access to inventory as it comes up so they can match to what I'm looking for. But not sure who I should work with.

Does Tesla ship CPO cars across country? Is there a used sales person at Tesla Canada I can give my list of requirements to and have them search?

Tesla.com has a CPO search tool. Not many showing up on the Canada portal though.

None near me for my criteria. There are more options if I change to Toronto. But not sure if they will ship across Canada (for a fee) or not.

At one point they did for sure. It should show up as the delivery fee. I believe it was ~ 2k additional to ship across the country, but they made many changes to the CPO program so that may not be there anymore. You should be able to call the Tesla sales line and inquire about any specific CPO and what its location/shipping cost would be.

Try:

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

It should give you a wider search net. I looked at a used 'CPO' before getting my 3, but realized I can get a brand new car for the same price as a ~40-50k km model S (which had older hardware). The S is larger (which would make fitting into my garage an issue), and came with free SC (which didn't matter much to me), so in the end I went with the 3 and am very happy with my decision.

Regarding getting one with the rear facing seats; those are rare. I've only seen one come up on autotrader about 6 months ago in Ontario. I'm not sure, but can you get the rear seats added on by at Tesla service centre as a post delivery part? I would assume it might not be cheap, but probably would be do-able by replacing the rear seats....

You can retrofit the rear-facing seats to almost any Model S. I have done it, it is relatively easy. There is an official NHSTA bulletin on it. Tesla does not do it anymore.

My DIY Rear Facing Jump Seats Retrofit (with Service Bulletin / Official Instructions)

The hardest thing is to find all the parts. Tesla does not sell the seats anymore, so you have to buy aftermarket (easy). You also have to reinforce the rear bumper. Any autorized Tesla body shop can do it for you (that is the more complicated step).

All the other parts for this you can buy from Tesla, they still sell them (but figure 3-4 months wait to get them...) Aside from the reinforcment, installing the seats is really easy.

Good luck