Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The £165 will apply to all EVs per year, whenever registered. The £355 will only apply to new cars registered after April 2025 between years 2 and 6.

Of course, things could change after the election, but I don't think Labour intend to make any changes.
I get why they are doing it and had to at some point but won’t help them win over the people that don’t get massive tax breaks to buy an EV.

The people that do it because of the climate probably already have one if they can afford it. The people that love an electric power train also would have one already if they can afford it.

If you gave the salary sacrifice and company car buyers a cheaper deal to have a diesel than an EV, they’d drop them without blinking an eye.

I think if they really want to push the needle on this like Norway they need to double down on this much better, not relax things.

I get why they are doing it and had to at some point but won’t help them win over the people that don’t get massive tax breaks to buy an EV.

The people that do it because of the climate probably already have one if they can afford it. The people that love an electric power train also would have one already if they can afford it.

If you gave the salary sacrifice and company car buyers a cheaper deal to have a diesel than an EV, they’d drop them without blinking an eye.

I think if they really want to push the needle on this like Norway they need to double down on this much better, not relax things.
Norway had an advantage of pretty much limitless money from selling oil to the rest of the world, kinda helps balance the books. Giving incentives absolutely works, however it means less money for other public services or even higher taxes.

Giving payments to people who can afford new cars isn't a progressive way to improve the country spend it on public transport first.

Giving incentives absolutely works, however it means less money for other public services or even higher taxes.

Short term though, isn't it?

And then pay-back can be had (less oil imports, less pollution to have to clean up, less health care related to that pollution, etc.)

Or just take whatever the cost of the incentives is away from the current subsidies to Oil companies ...

Norway had an advantage of pretty much limitless money from selling oil to the rest of the world, kinda helps balance the books. Giving incentives absolutely works, however it means less money for other public services or even higher taxes.

Giving payments to people who can afford new cars isn't a progressive way to improve the country spend it on public transport first.
How do you generate a second hand fleet ?

Reactions: Adopado
Short term though, isn't it?

And then pay-back can be had (less oil imports, less pollution to have to clean up, less health care related to that pollution, etc.)

Or just take whatever the cost of the incentives is away from the current subsidies to Oil companies ...
You may be in a position to tolerate a short term increase in tax/reduction in service, but I don't think many other people are at the moment.
How do you generate a second hand fleet ?
The current plan is to use a stick to beat any manufacturer who sells less than 22% new EVs, increasing to 80% by 2030.

Incentives absolutely do work, but it's really clear that as we are now in recession there simply no money, and of all the things that the government could spend any extra cash on this wouldn't be remotely close to the top of the pile.

We also had that advantage and pissed it up the wall in profits for wealthy businesses and rich people.

You may be in a position to tolerate a short term increase in tax/reduction in service, but I don't think many other people are at the moment.

The current plan is to use a stick to beat any manufacturer who sells less than 22% new EVs, increasing to 80% by 2030.

Incentives absolutely do work, but it's really clear that as we are now in recession there simply no money, and of all the things that the government could spend any extra cash on this wouldn't be remotely close to the top of the pile.
No money ? Seems to be plenty flowing in all the wrong directions esp. to fossil fuel companies. Most of the current govt are either ex fossil fuel staff and/or have extensive financial links with them. Don't give me the no money rubbish.

Thanks guys, great to hear from M3P owners. I wonder what control arms will cost to be replaced, assuming a lower mileage example might not require this for a year or two. Im really stretching 2019-2020, cant go to 30k for a 21 unfortunately as dont want to go down finance.
They will do the control arms for free if you get in there before the expiry of the general warranty.

Reactions: carnutt
Check what dealer warranty covers. From my experience, issued by third party that are not worth the paper they were written on.

Anything that could vaguely be attributed to wear and tear will be and excluded. At least with Tesla warranty, things that wore out earlier than might be reasonably expected, such as suspension arms seemed to be fairly treated.

Check what dealer warranty covers.
Doesn’t matter what the warranty claims it covers. If you purchase a used vehicle from a trader then they need to fix all faults within 6 months or prove the fault didn’t exist when it was purchased (which is almost impossible to do unless it’s been physically damaged) under consumer protection laws in the UK.

Doesn’t matter what the warranty claims it covers. If you purchase a used vehicle from a trader then they need to fix all faults within 6 months or prove the fault didn’t exist when it was purchased (which is almost impossible to do unless it’s been physically damaged) under consumer protection laws in the UK.
In my experience. Dealers don’t often follow UK law unless you are prepared to take them to court.

What are everyones thoughts on lower mileage later vs higher mileage slightly newer? For example sub 30k miles 2019 vs 45-55k miles 2020? Considering both will have 6m dealer warranty.
I would look for a 2021 car with heat pump, the performance in warranty are going to go for 28-30k at the moment, a LR would go for 25-28k.

Any dealer warranty isn’t going to be as good as a Tesla warranty. Worth getting one with a free months manufacturer warranty as then you can get anything fixed that maybe the previous owner didn’t bother to fix as they didn’t know could for example

This was my understanding, so if the common suspension issues raise their head then they need to resolve the issue within 6 months which is why I considered lower mileage, few months older option.

I would look for a 2021 car with heat pump, the performance in warranty are going to go for 28-30k at the moment, a LR would go for 25-28k.

Any dealer warranty isn’t going to be as good as a Tesla warranty. Worth getting one with a free months manufacturer warranty as then you can get anything fixed that maybe the previous owner didn’t bother to fix as they didn’t know could for example
Cant unfortunately justify a 21 M3P, possibly late 20 HP M3LR looks similar price as a 69 M3P. The M3P does seem to be better bang for buck at the moment though.

I agree with @MrT3, the dealers know exactly what the law says and wont act until someone demonstrates they know the law too. There is usually a good sign to identify these charlatans - they are the ones that advertise their cars come with a 3 month or 90 day warranty - this is a ploy to condition your mind into focusing on that warranty period and also to shift the responsibility from them and onto whatever warranty policy they sell - and those warranty policies are usually absolute crap - even the big names like AA or RAC - £50 labour cap - so all you could use are back street garages or pay the labour difference per hour - and the likes of Range Rover for example are £199 per hour.

I cant help but bait these people - when they tell me they provide a 3 month warranty I ask when the warranty starts from - they look puzzled at the question and confirm from the date of sale - (they have no idea where I'm going with this) I then tell them what i think the date should be - and then calculate the date forward by 6 months then add length of their warranty period to say when i think it should start and end. Of course they need an explanation - then tell them that under the consumer Act they as a dealer are responsible for all faults for 6 months - unless prior to sale a fault is declared on the car (Or you have modified the car and your modification created the issue - or you have damaged the car and that created the faults) as they are deemed to have been present at the point of sale, and they are obliged to rectify those faults - and you get one chance to fix it right - or I reject the car and you give me all my money back, so the warranty should start on the date your liability ends.
Go try it and see their utter contempt for you.

I agree with @MrT3, the dealers know exactly what the law says and wont act until someone demonstrates they know the law too. There is usually a good sign to identify these charlatans - they are the ones that advertise their cars come with a 3 month or 90 day warranty - this is a ploy to condition your mind into focusing on that warranty period and also to shift the responsibility from them and onto whatever warranty policy they sell - and those warranty policies are usually absolute crap - even the big names like AA or RAC - £50 labour cap - so all you could use are back street garages or pay the labour difference per hour - and the likes of Range Rover for example are £199 per hour.

I cant help but bait these people - when they tell me they provide a 3 month warranty I ask when the warranty starts from - they look puzzled at the question and confirm from the date of sale - (they have no idea where I'm going with this) I then tell them what i think the date should be - and then calculate the date forward by 6 months then add length of their warranty period to say when i think it should start and end. Of course they need an explanation - then tell them that under the consumer Act they as a dealer are responsible for all faults for 6 months - unless prior to sale a fault is declared on the car (Or you have modified the car and your modification created the issue - or you have damaged the car and that created the faults) as they are deemed to have been present at the point of sale, and they are obliged to rectify those faults - and you get one chance to fix it right - or I reject the car and you give me all my money back, so the warranty should start on the date your liability ends.
Go try it and see their utter contempt for you.
I have noticed the 3 month warranty dealers and I think it was actually one of your posts that enlightened me into reading more about the 6 month period and made me decide not to consider a private purchase, one of those same companies offering a 3 month warranty also does not check cars for recalls or deal with them as claims after purchase.