Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Im currently a 73 reg M3LR RWD owner but the lease has to end due to personal changes in circumstances. Ive loved the car during the 5k miles Ive driven and am now considering purchasing a used M3P as bizarrely the insurance is cheaper than a LR so why not.

Im looking at a 69 or 70 reg (non HP models) with lower miles of around 25k. Is there anything I should be looking out for?

Thank you

Be aware that the tyres will need replacing earlier. My 19 plate M3P last about 17k miles on the rear, about 20k on the front. And that's with a good amount of driving like Miss Daisy. Road noise is, I think higher. Also, the 20" wheels - avoid kerbs at all costs. I'm about to go from M3P to M3 LR Highland.

Reactions: carnutt
I’ve had my M3P for just over 2 years. The wife has kerbed an alloy but nothing too bad. Tyres are still on original set and done roughly 18k on them.

As for stuff to specifically look out for, I’ve had a few issues fixed under warranty so I’d just treat it like any other car and check it as you would when buying anything.

Also wouldn’t say it’s the shortest range in the line up, it sits nicely between the standard range and long range you’re coming from.

Reactions: KennethS
Thanks for all the replies and information.

@M1tch What were the issues you had that would be worth checking?

What sort of range are M3P owners achieving when driving like Miss Daisy, chill mode etc? Im guessing 220 winter, maybe 260-270 summer?

Thanks for all the replies and information.

@M1tch What were the issues you had that would be worth checking?

What sort of range are M3P owners achieving when driving like Miss Daisy, chill mode etc? Im guessing 220 winter, maybe 260-270 summer?
They were all HV battery issues. Original was made during a period where lots encountered issues then incorrect replacements.

Yeah 220 winter, 270-280 in the summer. 90% is motorway driving for me

They were all HV battery issues. Original was made during a period where lots encountered issues then incorrect replacements.

Yeah 220 winter, 270-280 in the summer. 90% is motorway driving for me
Thank you, so those would / should be covered by Teslas Battery and Drivetrain 8 year warranty?

Thats decent considering the performance and those are motorway miles. I can see yours is a heat pump model so should get slightly better range than the older version.

Thank you, so those would / should be covered by Teslas Battery and Drivetrain 8 year warranty?

Warranties are also mileage limited, which is dependent on battery size, ie SR/LR&perf. I can’t remember the exact mileage as it’s well above our likely cumulative mileage at 8 years, but may affect those doing >12k/year depending on model, as is indeed the case with ‘4 year’ warranty.

My 2020 M3P will be 4 years old next month. Been a great car, now at 23k miles, and never missed a beat, other than rear spoiler was lifting off, so mobile ranger visit fitted new. Had all tyres (PS4S) replaced early at 20k miles, could have had another 10k miles easy. Other maintenance costs simply cabin filters, wipers and brake clean/lube service, all very cheap. Winter range around 220, and Summer 280 miles. Performance never ever fails to put a smile on your face, and just like the look of the alloys and red brake calipers. Have also dechromed it, which was a simple job. Being a 2020 model (market value around £27k) insurance is not too bad, just got some quotes starting from £580. My battery fully charged shows 298-300 miles, and was only 310 4 years ago, so happy with degradation 👍
Things I’d watch out for: panel gaps, battery range/degradation, paintwork (esp gravel rash up sides), condition of brake rotors, suspension squeaks (lower/upper control arms) any warranty issues. I’d try and buy one with a little of the 4 year basic warranty remaining if possible. (Altho Batt & drivetrain have 8 yrs warranty).

IMG_1103.jpeg

Last edited:
My 2020 M3P will be 4 years old next month. Been a great car, now at 23k miles, and never missed a beat, other than rear spoiler was lifting off, so mobile ranger visit fitted new. Had all tyres (PS4S) replaced early at 20k miles, could have had another 10k miles easy. Other maintenance costs simply cabin filters, wipers and brake clean/lube service, all very cheap. Winter range around 220, and Summer 280 miles. Performance never ever fails to put a smile on your face, and just like the look of the alloys and red brake calipers. Have also dechromed it, which was a simple job. Being a 2020 model (market value around £27k) insurance is not too bad, just got some quotes starting from £580. My battery fully charged shows 298-300 miles, and was only 310 4 years ago, so happy with degradation 👍
Things I’d watch out for: panel gaps, battery range/degradation, paintwork (esp gravel rash up sides), condition of brake rotors, suspension squeaks (lower/upper control arms) any warranty issues. I’d try and buy one with a little of the 4 year basic warranty remaining if possible. (Altho Batt & drivetrain have 8 yrs warranty).
I'd agree with all this. My P- has had all its control arms done under warrantee and I know that they have significantly revised them over the years so if they aren't done, they will need it eventually. Frunk release cables bung up and get unreliable too, easy ranger fix, but better under warrantee too.

Key I would say is you need to test drive the specific one you are considering, up to motorway speeds. None of them will be as quiet as a newer LR, but back in the 69 days there were definitely good ones and bad ones from Fremont - you want to check you are getting a good one. Mine is a good one and 100% is not for sale tho 😂.

Other thing to remember is LR+ acceleration boost is very nearly as quick as the P, although it has the same 'not as good looking' problem as mine does.

Thanks guys, great to hear from M3P owners. I wonder what control arms will cost to be replaced, assuming a lower mileage example might not require this for a year or two. Im really stretching 2019-2020, cant go to 30k for a 21 unfortunately as dont want to go down finance.

Rear upper forelinks are ~£300 for parts
Front upper control arms are ~£130 a pair for parts.

I've had both replaced now (and had to pay as I had dared to replace the stop LR suspension on my P- with something decent. Yes, I'm still sore at them, it was not modified parts that had failed, and the failures are well documented warranty issues that would occur without modification too. Happy for them to refuse to fit, but making me pay for the parts is annoying)

Any decent local garage can do the fitting, the model 3's suspension is very very bog standard.

I’ve had my M3P for just over 2 years. The wife has kerbed an alloy but nothing too bad. Tyres are still on original set and done roughly 18k on them.

As for stuff to specifically look out for, I’ve had a few issues fixed under warranty so I’d just treat it like any other car and check it as you would when buying anything.

Also wouldn’t say it’s the shortest range in the line up, it sits nicely between the standard range and long range you’re coming from.
Think it depends on what kind of roads you drive. The WLTP would suggest that but I think if you do a lot of motorway miles they’ll be much more closely matched with a Standard Range. Those 20’s are a range killer.

Changing subject a little, with regards to the new road tax in 2025, its £355 luxury tax on this price band, does that only apply to brand new cars registered in 2025, or will existing owners have to pay the £165 + £355? Thank you