Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

buying used P3D from used care dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hey guys,

Im thinking about buying a used P3D from a non tesla dealership. Is there anything that I should be aware of or anything I should do or check beforehand. It looks like a good deal for a P3D without the performance upgrades. Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks!

hey guys,

Im thinking about buying a used P3D from a non tesla dealership. Is there anything that I should be aware of or anything I should do or check beforehand. It looks like a good deal for a P3D without the performance upgrades. Any advice would be appriciated. Thanks!
Probably the obvious ..accident history ..it’s rare to see a P3D used ..especially since they are less than year old

Third party dealers have a very hard time showing what actual options the cars have. I would check to see if they have the original window sticker to verify autopilot vs enhanced autopilot, see if full self driving has been purchased, and it actually has the P3D+ options like larger red brake calipers and lowered suspension.

Edit: just taking a glance at used pricing. Even though the tax credit has dropped it looks like it makes ZERO sense to buy used. I see a couple listed for right around $60K. Considering mine was fully loaded including white interior, just no self driving and was only $60K I would just buy new even if for a couple extra grand...

Third party dealers have a very hard time showing what actual options the cars have. I would check to see if they have the original window sticker to verify autopilot vs enhanced autopilot, see if full self driving has been purchased, and it actually has the P3D+ options like larger red brake calipers and lowered suspension.
OP stated performance without performance options ?? So maybe P3- or normal AWD??

Its a P3D-. It has NoA and Summon beta based on the pictures, so at the very least it has EAP. It's listed at $56,000. I'll try to get it lower
Visit SC or showroom and talk someone into looking up car history/ features. Definitely car fax, too. Puppy eyes are more effective than phone calls. A couple of folks have reported bad experiences with third party buys.

If you want a P3D- used is your only option (dual motor efficiency with performance acceleration & track mode). Maybe you can get them to lower the price by pointing out the missing PUO parts, if you can’t and you don’t prefer the -, I think I might be looking at new instead.

I thought if you bought CPO your got some advantages over buying from a third party. Am I wrong?

The risk of buying a Tesla not directly from them is a real thing (dealer, 3rd party).

Tesla might treat you as a third class customer. Sometimes promotion comes up such as FSD discount, mostly you will be disqualified. Trust me!

The risk of buying a Tesla not directly from them is a real thing (dealer, 3rd party).

Tesla might treat you as a third class customer. Sometimes promotion comes up such as FSD discount, mostly you will be disqualified. Trust me!

I was thinking being more related to not being able to buy an extended warranty on the car if purchased from a third party/dealer. For someone looking to keep their car a long time that could influence their decision.

When we owned our Hondas years ago we purchased a third party paint protection and the company went out of business. Had we bought it from Honda there wouldn't have been a problem. I would much rather trust Tesla being in business down the road than any company offering a non-Tesla extended warranty. Just saying.

This might be helpful to anyone thinking of a third party purchase: Vehicle Warranty Maybe more important for used MS and MXs but people should still understand their warranty coverage.

Last edited: