Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing from below the charge port area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well at least thanks to this forum I'm not heading to service center right away... But this noise is really loud and just does not sound right...

I'll let it run for an hour and see what gives... Hopefully the car does not burst into flames.

If that's "normal" I wonder if there's a word of warning in the manual ? Especially as most people here say charging is silent... Here with 7°C outside it's certainly not.

Hey,

Does anyone else’s Model 3 make this noise? It seems to be happening only recently in the morning when HVAC comes on to warm the car. Mine is RHD so this is below the charge port.

That's the rear motor cooling pump running to circulate heat from the motor to the battery pack. It will do this when charging, preheating the cabin or navigating to a Supercharger in cold weather. You will also hear a high pitch whine from the motor. Dual motor cars will make noises from both ends when the battery is actively being heated.

It's normal and nothing to worry about.

It's bees.

oprahbees.gif

That's the rear motor cooling pump running to circulate heat from the motor to the battery pack. It will do this when charging, preheating the cabin or navigating to a Supercharger in cold weather. You will also hear a high pitch whine from the motor. Dual motor cars will make noises from both ends when the battery is actively being heated.

It's normal and nothing to worry about.

Thank you! I was worried as it can be really loud!