Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buzzing static noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am dealing with the same issue. Took my car to the SC three times so far. They changed my amplifier but the problem is still there.

@chadcristi what wires were exactly clamped? Which service center did you go to?
This way I can tell my SC to contact the service center where you went to get my issue fixed.

Don't know if my experience is related, but I only get the buzzing sound infrequently when playing Slacker. It has never happened with the radio. The buzzing is at a fixed volume regardless of the music volume. I am pretty familiar with high end audio equipment and imho, the buzzing is not due to distorted sound. It is something separate from the music playing. At least for me, if I skip forward on Slacker, the buzzing goes away. My MX is still pretty new and I've only come across this 3 times since 6/5. Definitely interested to see if this is the same issue.

I have the exact same issue, took delivery end of August 2018. It was getting annoying, my car is currently at the SC for this and other issues. It seems to be a known issue.

Any updates on this issue? I recently upgraded from MCU1/HW2 to MCU2/HW3 and since then I started hearing the buzzing noise but only from the rear driver side speaker in the tailgate. It comes as soon as I open the door but it is not all the time. Service center was able to replicate but did not have a solution, they forwarded the issue to engineering.

Did anybody get to know which cables were clamped by SC?
Maybe @chadcristi or @mak86 got news about that?

I face the same problem since my 2017 model x got a used mcu 1
(will probably be replaced by mcu 2, once this is available in EU).

Now it makes this terrible sound, too. It starts when putting in a gear and does not stop
until I put it in park mode and leave the driver's seat (so the car goes into "off mode").
This seems to be independed of the radio (on, off, FM/DAB, TuneIn, etc).

The style of the sound makes me believe it could be solved using ferrite clamps.
- Or a software patch may be required, I don't know.

As the car is out of warranty (miles ...), any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Did anybody get to know which cables were clamped by SC?
Maybe @chadcristi or @mak86 got news about that?

I face the same problem since my 2017 model x got a used mcu 1
(will probably be replaced by mcu 2, once this is available in EU).

Now it makes this terrible sound, too. It starts when putting in a gear and does not stop
until I put it in park mode and leave the driver's seat (so the car goes into "off mode").
This seems to be independed of the radio (on, off, FM/DAB, TuneIn, etc).

The style of the sound makes me believe it could be solved using ferrite clamps.
- Or a software patch may be required, I don't know.

As the car is out of warranty (miles ...), any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm not sure which wires @mr_x100d. But, they did fix the problem completely. They also transferred the clamps to the new MCU after a swap last month due to a daughterboard failure. Here is a screenshot of the repair for the audio system.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 10.39.01 AM.png

Any updates on this issue? I recently upgraded from MCU1/HW2 to MCU2/HW3 and since then I started hearing the buzzing noise but only from the rear driver side speaker in the tailgate. It comes as soon as I open the door but it is not all the time. Service center was able to replicate but did not have a solution, they forwarded the issue to engineering.

Mine just started doing this from the exact same location. Did you get any resolution from the service center?