Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

C’mon Folks! Be nice to fellow EV owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me rephrase. Is this Chargepoint station free to the public? Is this supercharger free to *all* Tesla users?
The ChargePoint app and website report the ChargePoint L2's are free, open 6am-midnight, 7 days/week. You'll need to activate the station with a Chargepoint RFID card or phone app, assuming you have a ChargePoint account, or a voice call to ChargePoint if you don't.

The Superchargers are only free if you have free Supercharging. Supercharger pricing policy is the same at all (US) stations; if you have free Supercharging, it's free at all stations. If you pay at one, you'll pay at all.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure all Superchargers have the same idle fees - I've never seen on that doesn't.

Last edited:
The ChargePoint app and website report the ChargePoint L2's are free, open 6am-midnight, 7 days/week. You'll need to activate the station with a Chargepoint RFID card or phone app, assuming you have a ChargePoint account, or a voice call to ChargePoint if you don't.

The Superchargers are only free if you have free Supercharging. Supercharger pricing policy is the same at all (US) stations; if you have free Supercharging, it's free at all stations. If you pay at one, you'll pay at all.

EDIT - I'm pretty sure all Superchargers have the same idle fees - I've never seen on that doesn't.
Thanks. So it makes sense that someone might charge a Tesla at Chargepoint instead of at the Supercharger if it costs them less money.

I've seen pictures of supercharger sites where Tesla installed level 2 charging as well. If those do not incur idle fees, then I now see why that would be useful in some places.

I agree, the ideal situation is to have level 2 chargers, even if they are not free, next to superchargers, so you can quickly fill up most of the way but if you are shopping etc for a while (or staying overnight) you charge at the level 2 instead.
We all love free chargers but it might be best if they were instead cheap/half the supercharger price, so people still don't just use them without good reason.
Really it all depends on availability. If every space had a charger, no one would care.

My wife is constantly parking most of the time without charging in one of these spots with the green sign painted on the floor. But then again, it is her garage, an she did paint it herself soooooooo

48099715963_c4d72e4aea_c.jpg

48099764142_bd1bc72815_c.jpg

48099709968_bae6d0a01f_c.jpg

Geez, your garage is better organized than any room in my house !!