Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

C-tech(?) CCS adapter for unenabled Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DaxM, in his video here,
, says there is an adapter that works with CCS-unenabled cars. He says something like "C-tech". Is there such an adapter? Am I getting the brand spelling correct? Where can I buy such an adapter?

Reactions: Cosmacelf
Hansshow has them, you would need the optional adapter for Teslas without compatibility listed at the bottom of the page. Please make sure you would be satisfied with any limitations of this device with using the adapter on Teslas that don't support CCS.

So they do... so they do. Unfortunately, it appears that the retrofit is for only Model 3s.
Your original post was about where to get the Hansshow adapter, and that was what the video you posted showed. There are other CCS1 adapters out there, but none provides the full compatibility that the Tesla adapter with the car being compatible with the CCS1 adapter.

@DerbyDave, Maybe I didn't make myself clear enough in my first post. I did not ask about the Hansshow adapter. I'll rephrase my question, "Where can I buy the 'C-tech' adapter that DaxM mentions that works with cars that are not CCS-enabled, at 3:03 in his video?"

Also, it looks in the video as if the Hansshow adapter provides compatibility equal to the Tesla adapter.

Also, it looks in the video as if the Hansshow adapter provides compatibility equal to the Tesla adapter.
One difference is that the Hansshow adapter is only capable of about 150kW like most other third party adapters, whereas the Tesla adapter is 250kW. There may be other differences. The Tesla adapter is the same price, so this is a no brainer to get the real thing.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
has any body confirmed this works on an early S? I'd like to add one to my 2013 "just to have"
Some reviews on Amazon:

has any body confirmed this works on an early S? I'd like to add one to my 2013 "just to have"
I asked Lectron this:
I do not think that my Tesla is CCS-enabled. Do you have an adapter that will will work with a non-enabled Tesla?
Lectron responded:
Thanks for getting back to us. Unfortunately, we do not have an adapter that will work with non-CCS enabled Tesla.

@zylstra Sorry if the answers are getting confusing. I will try to clear it up with more specific information.

There are two very different types of adapters that do different things, and one kind can work on the old not CCS enabled cars, and the other kind cannot.

The one type, which was originally made by Setec, and is now also being sold by a reseller called Lectron, does work on the old not CCS enabled cars. It does this, because it has active circuitry onboard, which is converting the CCS input to make it appear to the car as if it is CHAdeMO. The old cars already have the equipment to "speak" CHAdeMO connections, so they will work. But the cars have a limit of only using up to 50kW power on CHAdeMO connections, so that's all you can get with this kind of adapter. These kinds of adapters are pretty expensive, because they have a built-in battery that needs to occasionally be recharged to run the conversion circuitry.

The other type of adapter, which many companies make, is just a simple mechanical pass-through. That is straight CCS, and if the car doesn't have CCS enabled already, that adapter won't work.