Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA carpool sticker -- Best to order in November for 2021?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point, even if I reapply, if they take another 5 months to get HOV sticker I’ll get stickers in Dec 2021, might as well wait til 2022 to apply for HOV stickers to get 4 full years.

One downside of the (inevitable) success of all-electric cars will, I guess, be the likely end of the HOV sticker program. We saw how it ended for hybrid cars. Is it possible that HOV stickers for EVs will be over after 2025?

Reactions: AirDocs
One downside of the (inevitable) success of all-electric cars will, I guess, be the likely end of the HOV sticker program. We saw how it ended for hybrid cars. Is it possible that HOV stickers for EVs will be over after 2025?

The program is currently set to end September 2025. I would expect EV sales to be a significant enough by then to make it detrimental to the flow of HOV lanes.

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Mailed application on April 21, check was cashed yesterday (June 25).

A two month delay is, imo, unnecessary and inexcusable. Question is, what to do about it?

There are two fundamental problems with the DMV (actually Air Resources Board) HOV sticker program:
  1. The unnecessarily lengthy delay in receiving stickers.
  2. An inexcusable lack of communication about application status.
Excuses (by DMV) would, I imagine, center around real or alleged claims of inadequate resources (personnel and/or funding). The ongoing COVID situation doesn't help (and provides a handy excuse). So too the increasing numbers of eligible vehicles on California's roads, all applying for stickers. As argentina4eva rightly points out, this will all end eventually with diamond-lane access ending for BEVs. Harried DMV staff know this, and are probably just waiting out the time until the HOV sticker program finally ends.

Meanwhile, there are at least three legitimate reasons why the applicant population fails to take a concerted group action to try to correct the problem:
  1. Well-to-do individuals (e.g., attorneys and other influential people) may now be exempt from the sticker program due to income.
  2. Standard human psychology: once stickers are eventually received, the memory of the previous inconvenience quickly fades.
  3. Furthermore, and any efforts at corrective action will no longer greatly benefit previous applicants (unless they have to reapply for some reason).
But there are at least three or four years left on the program. Is it worth developing petitions, writing letters, and badgering legislators and the Governor's Office on behalf of future applicants?

Possibly not. There would probably be little support from still predominantly ICE-vehicle households. On the other hand, there increasing numbers of BEV drivers out there (which is part of the underlying problem--sigh).

Perhaps we should just count our belessings that there was even an HOV sticker program at all?

A two month delay is, imo, unnecessary and inexcusable. Question is, what to do about it?

There are two fundamental problems with the DMV (actually Air Resources Board) HOV sticker program:
  1. The unnecessarily lengthy delay in receiving stickers.
  2. An inexcusable lack of communication about application status.
DMV is slow in general and there is probably very little staff or resources devoted to this program (other EV programs like CVRP also have ridiculous processing times, although at least there is tracking of the progress).

The DMV doesn't even have good tracking of new registration status for cars in general, I doubt they really care to address this niche group of EVs, especially as you say the program is looking to end in a few years.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
Whaaat... I got my car in March, got plates probably in April and got my decals last week. Now they sit in the envelope until I figure out the best way to get to stick on the bumper without using adhesive lol.
I mean...this was released in 2018 and I just did it last night (better-half was rear-ended so needed new decals again). Aside from the fact that the paint underneath the sticker didn't fade compared to the surrounding areas, it did what was necessary.

Reactions: Ken_Y
I mean...this was released in 2018 and I just did it last night (better-half was rear-ended so needed new decals again). Aside from the fact that the paint underneath the sticker didn't fade compared to the surrounding areas, it did what was necessary.

I put my HOV stickers on yesterday too. That's a good way to do it. What I did was enclose the whole HOV sticker, without peeling, within a PPF. Doesn't look as clean but it'll be easier to remove. I'm hoping to find a magnet solution where I can adhere the sticker and remove it when not needed. Problem is I most likely need to remove the bumper to do it..

At this point, even if I reapply, if they take another 5 months to get HOV sticker I’ll get stickers in Dec 2021, might as well wait til 2022 to apply for HOV stickers to get 4 full years.
We’ll got my answer from DMV, somehow in March when I refi my Tesla, that triggered some reason why the DMV cancelled my application? So now I have to reapply, at this point it’s 90 day turn around so wouldn’t get my stickers til October so I’ll be waiting til 2022 to apply

Check and application Mailed Jan 2... check was finally cashed Jun 2!!! And still nothing in the mail. No decals. Not sure what to do.

As iamnid said, at this time (mid-2021) it should only take about 2 months (and that is long enough as it is) for your check to be cashed, and another 7 to 14 days to receive the stickers. Sounds like something is wrong. If I had to guess, I would say your stickers were mailed but you did not receive them for some reason. Call DMV in Sacramento! First step is to find out if and when your stickers were mailed to you. They come in an oversized envelope along with the CAV certificate (needed for getting a FasTrak CAV flex toll tag).

As iamnid said, at this time (mid-2021) it should only take about 2 months (and that is long enough as it is) for your check to be cashed, and another 7 to 14 days to receive the stickers. Sounds like something is wrong. If I had to guess, I would say your stickers were mailed but you did not receive them for some reason. Call DMV in Sacramento! First step is to find out if and when your stickers were mailed to you. They come in an oversized envelope along with the CAV certificate (needed for getting a FasTrak CAV flex toll tag).
So I called them (Special Processing Unit at (916) 657-8035). They said my application was processed late May (and the check was showing as cashed on Jun 2nd as I said). All he said I can do is fill out the REG 1000 form again and mail it in checking replacement stickers and not received.

At this rate I'm lucky if I get the stickers this year......................................... god damn it.

So I called them (Special Processing Unit at (916) 657-8035). They said my application was processed late May (and the check was showing as cashed on Jun 2nd as I said). All he said I can do is fill out the REG 1000 form again and mail it in checking replacement stickers and not received.

At this rate I'm lucky if I get the stickers this year......................................... god damn it.

Bummer. Maybe some mail thief riding around with your HOV stickers?

I hear followup applications go faster. Hope, for your sake, that is true.

Bummer. Maybe some mail thief riding around with your HOV stickers?

I hear followup applications go faster. Hope, for your sake, that is true.
He did say follow up applications go faster, he said the queue for that is only a few weeks.

I doubt anyone stole my stickers. I have a secure mailbox where I live. That said, I was also away for a while and had mail redirection in place. That may have something to do with it. I just don't know.

I am enrolled in USPS informed delivery and get a scan of all my mail and although I did see one piece from the DMV (I thought it was the stickers!!!) when I finally got the envelope it was standard in size and was just my annual registration and licensing renewal :(

By the time a lot of us are able to take delivery of our Model Y (either this month, or possibly in Sept or could be Oct), and then waiting another month for plates to come in from CA DMV before we can finally apply for a new HOV decal, I wouldn't doubt that our application and checks will get processed sometime in January or February 2022.

But hey, at least we'll probably get the last decal made available to use for the next few years before this program sunsets on Sept 2025.