Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA owner, sales tax, registration, license fees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious question for owners taking delivery in Fremont, CA.
What's your sales tax and vehicle license fee and registration fee?

Sanity check: M3 LR + PUP + EAP + Red + Fee = $56k total
9.25% sales tax
$364 license fee?
$253 registration/transfer/title?
$7 tire fee?

Checked out that site just out of curiosity. For my build in my current domicile in AZ, tax/fees will about $2500 less than if I still lived at my old Santa Barbara address. $2500. That number rings a bell. I guess I can stop wishing that I could somehow buy the car in CA.:D

Reactions: FlatSix911
Taxes in California are painfully high.... I can't imagine not moving if I lived in Santa Monica though.....
1st pic is Southern California, Thousand Oaks
2nd pic is Southern California, Santa Monica
Same $55K car...

Thousand Oaks :
Screenshot_20180125-200753_1.jpg

Santa Monica :
Screenshot_20180125-200941_1.jpg

Taxes in California are painfully high.... I can't imagine not moving if I lived in Santa Monica though.....
1st pic is Southern California, Thousand Oaks
2nd pic is Southern California, Santa Monica
Same $55K car...

Thousand Oaks :
View attachment 275837
Santa Monica :
View attachment 275835
I have to imagine folks outside California read this cr@p and just think thank God that I don't live there

I have 2 homes and using the calculator above, realized it would be about $800 cheaper to register in the desert. Are there any restrictions on where you register? I live in LA during the week so am there more, but hopefully doesn’t matter. Thanks!

I have 2 homes and using the calculator above, realized it would be about $800 cheaper to register in the desert. Are there any restrictions on where you register? I live in LA during the week so am there more, but hopefully doesn’t matter. Thanks!

Your "desert" address will probably results in a cheaper auto insurance rate too. I have 2 houses, one in LA county and one in San Bernardino county, guess which one I registered my cars and auto insurance? :p

Reactions: FlyErik
Curious question for owners taking delivery in Fremont, CA.
What's your sales tax and vehicle license fee and registration fee?

Sanity check: M3 LR + PUP + EAP + Red + Fee = $56k total
9.25% sales tax
$364 license fee?
$253 registration/transfer/title?
$7 tire fee?

I am picking up M3 in Fremont this Saturday morning. Which parts do you want details about? What I can tell you is the following. The CA Fee site posted is useful but not exact. A few months ago for MX it was a good sanity check but did not correspond exactly to the final Tesla agreement. What is certain is the sales tax amount. Go to this site and enter your address. https://maps.gis.ca.gov/boe/TaxRates/ This is the tax you should be charged, and if Tesla docs show otherwise you can notify them and they will fix it (done for me in 2013, automatically correct in 2017 and 2018). Once you can see your amount due on M3 My Tesla site, it only shows combined taxes and fees. Take your taxes from above step and add 1 cent (no kidding, this was true for both our MX and M3) and subtract this from the rest to see your total registration fees. If you want further detail, email your delivery associate and you can get the full breakdown to see taxes plus all registration and misc fees. That should match the forms you will sign at delivery.

Good luck and congratulations!

I am picking up M3 in Fremont this Saturday morning. Which parts do you want details about? What I can tell you is the following. The CA Fee site posted is useful but not exact. A few months ago for MX it was a good sanity check but did not correspond exactly to the final Tesla agreement. What is certain is the sales tax amount. Go to this site and enter your address. https://maps.gis.ca.gov/boe/TaxRates/ This is the tax you should be charged, and if Tesla docs show otherwise you can notify them and they will fix it (done for me in 2013, automatically correct in 2017 and 2018). Once you can see your amount due on M3 My Tesla site, it only shows combined taxes and fees. Take your taxes from above step and add 1 cent (no kidding, this was true for both our MX and M3) and subtract this from the rest to see your total registration fees. If you want further detail, email your delivery associate and you can get the full breakdown to see taxes plus all registration and misc fees. That should match the forms you will sign at delivery.

Good luck and congratulations!
Thank you for the feedback. I was just trying to do sanity check my final MVPA that i received from them.
I was expecting the M3 to be less than our MS, but its about the same. =P
We picked up our car last saturday and I CAN'T STOP jumping around from excitement.

Congrats to you too! family getting so big so fast.. hopefully tesla can keep up with the support.. Customer support wait times been pretty long over the weekend.

Reactions: DR61