Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA owner, sales tax, registration, license fees?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is $731 for our 2017 MS 75
I wonder how much it'll be for our M3 and MS next year.

Lots. I am in the same club. And because of the way the new federal tax law works, I won't be able to write off the DMV fees anymore. That was previously at least a small consolation.

Didn't they add a new fee for EVs this year to make up for the gas taxes we don't pay? I am guessing that is why they are so high.

Edit: I guess we aren't seeing the $100 EV fee yet, but are seeing a $25-$175 increase based on the value of the car that is applied to everyone. Guess we are hitting the top end of that scale. California Introducing Annual $100 Fee For Zero-Emission Vehicle Owners ... In 2020 | CleanTechnica

Last edited:
Reactions: FlyErik
Lots. I am in the same club. And because of the way the new federal tax law works, I won't be able to write off the DMV fees anymore. That was previously at least a small consolation.

Didn't they add a new fee for EVs this year to make up for the gas taxes we don't pay? I am guessing that is why they are so high.

Edit: I guess we aren't seeing the $100 EV fee yet, but are seeing a $25-$175 increase based on the value of the car that is applied to everyone. Guess we are hitting the top end of that scale. California Introducing Annual $100 Fee For Zero-Emission Vehicle Owners ... In 2020 | CleanTechnica

As you correctly edited your post, the plain $100 come in 2020 as far as I understood. But nobody ever talked about the $25-175 increase we are feeling now. I was totally unaware of that. I don't want to start any political argument here, but I really dislike this liberal tax state. Yes CA is beautiful, but the taxes are insane (just like in many other liberal states). Again, don't want to start a political discussion and hoping not to offend anyone with that. I think nobody likes high taxation here...

I just received registration renewals for my electric vehicles:

2013 Tesla MS85
Registration Fee $258
License Fee $503
County/District Fee $21
TOTAL $782

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Registration Fee $133
License Fee $37
County/District Fee $21
TOTAL $191

2001 Corbin Sparrow
Registration Fee $110
License Fee $7
County/District Fee $21
TOTAL $138

I've tried, but could not find the computation for the Registration Fee component. Can anyone explain this, other than "...all vehicle owners will be charged a variable annual fee of between $25 and $175..."? TIA

License Fee is based on vehicle value and thus used to be deductible on the Federal Tax return.

To top it all off, my Allstate Insurance more than doubled on the Tesla to $2077 annually (and that's after they included 'good driver' and 'distinguished driver' and multi-policy 'discounts' of $1310). And to think the Tesla is reserved only for long trips and almost never driven locally...

Guess I need to drive the Tesla even more than the present 25K/yr to reduce the per-mile costs.;)

To top it all off, my Allstate Insurance more than doubled on the Tesla to $2077 annually (and that's after they included 'good driver' and 'distinguished driver' and multi-policy 'discounts' of $1310). And to think the Tesla is reserved only for long trips and almost never driven locally...

I've not had a lot of luck getting decent rates from Allstate for California stuff. Although their stated value policy quote for the last S wasn't ridiculous - $3500 or so, and Chubb's was not much higher at $4200 iirc.

Maybe you'll have better luck with one of the following that I've found competitive both times in CA - although Wawanesa quoted 50% higher for the new S and then 6 months later was back to what I had been paying for a 2.5-year old S. However, by then I found Progressive, which offers both CSL (Combined Single Limit) as well as decent gap coverage (25% of value for about $25/year) for about the same cost.

So in order of value perceived or otherwise - and these are SoCal quotes fwiw:

Progressive
Wawanesa
Geico
Costco-Ameriprise - 45% "discount" for multi-car and 5% for Costco membership.

The highest were from:
Chubb
Allstate
AAA

Although again, the first two of those were for stated value policies.

I've got the usual discounts and a clean record. My mistake was domiciling the car in SoCal in the first place.

Good luck.

• Informative
Reactions: JoeS
I just received registration renewals for my electric vehicles:

2013 Tesla MS85
Registration Fee $258
License Fee $503
County/District Fee $21
TOTAL $782

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Registration Fee $133
License Fee $37
County/District Fee $21
TOTAL $191

2001 Corbin Sparrow
Registration Fee $110
License Fee $7
County/District Fee $21
TOTAL $138

I've tried, but could not find the computation for the Registration Fee component. Can anyone explain this, other than "...all vehicle owners will be charged a variable annual fee of between $25 and $175..."? TIA

License Fee is based on vehicle value and thus used to be deductible on the Federal Tax return.

Guess I need to drive the Tesla even more than the present 25K/yr to reduce the per-mile costs.;)
How come a 2013 MS still cost $782 for registration renewal.. I thought it's suppose to decrease each year.. but yours is even more than our 2017 MS75 :eek:

I'm almost in the same boat....I just placed my order on 3/22 for the exact same configuration as the OP (except I chose blue instead of red)

My question is: Will the sales tax be calculated on the $56k price or will be calculated after they take into account the $1k deposit and the $2.5k order payment?

If we were to subtract $3.5k from the $56k price, then we would obviously pay less sales tax since it would calculated based on the $5k - $3,5k price ($51.5k). Just wanted to confirm with any current Model 3 owners that have gone through the whole process.

I'm almost in the same boat....I just placed my order on 3/22 for the exact same configuration as the OP (except I chose blue instead of red)

My question is: Will the sales tax be calculated on the $56k price or will be calculated after they take into account the $1k deposit and the $2.5k order payment?

If we were to subtract $3.5k from the $56k price, then we would obviously pay less sales tax since it would calculated based on the $5k - $3,5k price ($51.5k). Just wanted to confirm with any current Model 3 owners that have gone through the whole process.

California calculates it on the total price of the car ($56k in your case). The deposits you pay don't decrease the amount you're taxed on. I'm not 100% sure if tax is paid on the $1k delivery/doc fee though.

It’s based on the sale price of the car. It doesn’t matter what you put down. If the price of your car $56k, then you’re taxed on $56k ( less destination fee)

Try the Tesla insurance on the Tesla site. That should go way down!
That is if you are in CA

Last edited by a moderator:
As you correctly edited your post, the plain $100 come in 2020 as far as I understood. But nobody ever talked about the $25-175 increase we are feeling now. I was totally unaware of that. I don't want to start any political argument here, but I really dislike this liberal tax state. Yes CA is beautiful, but the taxes are insane (just like in many other liberal states). Again, don't want to start a political discussion and hoping not to offend anyone with that. I think nobody likes high taxation here...
You're absolutely correct here....
Punishing people for buying electric is hypocritical at best - virtue signaling for sure.... And yet people keep voting for the same crusty 'progressive' leadership that has regressed us into a homeless haven with the highest taxes, worst roads, and least accountable elitist leaders.
But I don't wanna get into a debate either.......
*twiddle thumbs*